SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone who looks at my signature will know I have a website where I list all my slot cars, models, layouts and even give a potted history of my slot car life:eek:.

Whilst I was working I never got enough time to keep it fully up to date and have over the last year or so been making changes to to format of the site and slowly getting it up to date and whilst doing this I have been a little shocked by some of the figures.:whistle: :eek:

The cars are listed in three different ways, and the first groups all my slot cars and models together and lists them by the full size manufacturer and there are 72 of them although quite a few of these have just a single static model listed.

Next I have all the slot cars and models listed under their manufacturer and this amounts to 96 with again quite a few one of entries and this list also includes body suppliers.

In the last option I list everything by scale and also separated in to slot cars, body kits, plastic kits, resin kits and diecast models. I started of by listing each item by the model version and manufacture and while this still works ok for most scales it started to become a bit unwilding. I then dropped the manufacture from the listings but still keep the separate model option, so Porsche 917K was separate from 917/10 and so on. but even this started to get a bit much so now I have an entry just for the basic type so all Porsche 917 version are grouped together as are all the 911s. I'm also about to do the same for the GT40 and Ferrari 250GTO and I might even have to lump all the 330 versions together. At the moment the 1/32nd slot car model list sits at 98 and if I separated the Porsche models back out it's over the 100 mark and I still haven't got everything listed as I keep finding things.

My actual model entry quantity is 870 but this includes all models in most scales, unmade kits, items I no longer have and some duplicates where I have built a kit in to a slot car or done a repaint or livery. Over 100 of them are the 1/43rd scale diecast F1 collection modelso_O. I wonder how long before I top the 1000 entries?

I know I'm not alone so come on how many different models do you have, not just number of cars but difierent models.

·
Administrator
10,412 Posts
Oh my... somewhere north of 2,000 cars, no idea how many different manufacturers in either full-scale or miniature - and that figure includes both commercial and scratchbuilt models, including a number "to be restored". Maybe 50-100 "modern" cars from the last 30 years (since I plunged back into slots and became a collector) - the rest are all vintage.

I've got two showcases with maybe 300 complete cars in all scales and many many drawers and boxes.

Don

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My collection pales into insignificance. All are 1/32, most are SCX/Spanish Scalextric.

I have 32 (all different) that get regular use. Another 19 get occasional use - roughly half of these are duplicates of some of the 32 regular-use cars. Then there are 2 MSC Gr.B cars (a 6R4 and an RS200) that rarely get used. Add-in 19 in various states of work-in-progress. Total 104.

I really ought to spend more time on the work-in-progress. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,229 Posts
Getting on for 2600 and most of them are now Jouef Beardy. Very rare I'm buying slot cars now though, you can only have so many duplicates.
Hope you are well
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
I've no idea how many models I have, but probably around 3,000. Most are die-cast racing cars in all scales collected since I was a small boy. There are still many cars I'd like to add to my collection, but despite searching, they remain most elusive.

For quite some time, I've found slot cars more interesting than the 1:1 cars on which they're based. From my point of view driving in Britain has become a grim, miserable activity that creates little but angst, danger and frustration, whereas several hours per week slotting represents the freedom and fun we once had on the roads in our 'grown-up' cars.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I must have around 500 or so, mostly of modern times Slot brands, performance for me comes first although it should look as a proper car(don’t like nor collect thingies).

As for the classes they must be around 100 rally cars, 200 Gt cars, another 100 historic & can am and probably around 50 LMPs and another 50 Classic Gt Cars, group C were +-50 last time I checked.

I have a variety of brands, but mostly Scx, Slot it, Nsr, Sideways and Revo, with Carrera and Ninco on lower numbers and probably Scaley and Fly the fewer, and a couple of the rest of the brands(one or two), Avant, OCC, SRC, Arrowslot, Blackarrow, Racer.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Kevin,

Nice to hear from you, hope your well.

Have only bought a few Jouef/Champion lately, just when I see a colour or finish I don't have and the seller not wanting my arm, leg and soul 😄. Got a bit of a way to go to catch you as only getting close to 200.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I now have 1045, from over 40 slot car manufacturers though mostly Scalextric, SCX, Fly, Ninco, Carrera and numerous cars from Slot It, MRRC, SRC, NSR, PowerSlot, AutoArt, Revell Monogram, BRM, Sideways, ScaleAuto, ProSlot, Spirit, G Slot, Avant Slot, Sloter, Slotwings, Policar, LMM, Team Slot, PinkKars and Pioneer. I have 2 kits unbuilt (I've had them for many years) and about 4 cars that currently don't work.

1 or 2 or 3 from GOM, SRT, Artin, MG Vanquish, Cartrix, Fleischmann, Cartronic, Falcon, MR Slotcar, MB Slot, BBR, HPI Racing, D Slot, Reprotec, Barcelona Universal Models and Proteus, etc.

Of car manufacturers the most common are Porsche, Ferrari, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Rover, BMW, VW and Leyland.

4 scales, mostly 1/32, 2 1/28, 2 1/43 and around 20 1/24.

I have cars from a wide variety of series including: F1, Rally, Raid, Group C, Group B, Group 5, LMP, Road, Police and emergency services, public transport, freight haulage, truck racing, GT, touring cars, vintage, classic, Trans Am, Can Am, TV and Film, NASCAR, Indy, Dragsters, Moon Buggy, sidecars, BSB, quad bikes and horse racing.

I keep a spreadsheet of all my cars which I just updated so can give an accurate figure.

I will get some more for my birthday (at least another 2 Porsches) and Father's day.

I apologise for repeatedly updating this post.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
wow.
staying true to my original intentions back sometime in the 80's, I strictly collect and build vintage 1/32 mostly from "the day". That overall collection number is pushing 350 cars, with probably 100 more in various states in the "boxes and drawers". But I must confess being drawn to the more current productions as well; don't know the count, I think I have too many. However, the line was drawn at acquiring only cars representing pre-1980 prototypes. But you know how that goes! Only a few exceptions, as the iconic supercars since then I had to have:
Ferrari F40: Fly, Scalex, Slot it
Porsche 959: SCX 4wd
McLaren F1: Slot it, Scalex
2005 Ford GT: Scalex, hey, it's an American car and it was blue!
Some years ago I started to see "collections" emerging from the hordes. I think it was spurred at that time when Scalex was turning out those P4 Ferraris, many representing 1967 LeMans cars, one of my favorite races. Mulling it over more, four categories emerged, with cars from both my vintage ranks and current production filling the lineups. Here they are:
1. The 1967 LeMans race. I'm up to the first 25 qualifiers on the grid, which represents all the "big" players.
2. Team Vasek Polak, a hometown favorite. Currently 12 cars.
3. the cars of Phil Hill, California racer made good. Just worked up this list yesterday: currently 22 cars
4. Finally, the history of Ferrari F1; don't know the count, but I do have many to go to fill out the years from 1950 to 1980, my goal. Probably about 20 cars presently.
Always wanted to be a museum curator!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know I'm not alone so come on how many different models do you have, not just number of cars but difierent models.
Might get me banned from the site however I have three. :) Sold the two that came with my set and replaced them with two Ferrari FXXs. As I prefer street cars I purchased an out of a collection 2010 Carrera street (yellow) Ferrari 458 for parade laps. The other two are used for daily driving. I guess I just don't have the collecting gene (perhaps too cheap) and when turning laps I can't focus on the body. For the adventure I can see adding a couple over the years more so different brands and chipping them to run on Carerra track.

Sort of reminds me of AVSForum where a lot of members collect untold Terabytes of media. I get the hobby aspect just again I'm missing the gene.

·
David H
4,140 Posts
I own approx 2150 cars, all 1/32 scale, from 22 different slot car manufacturers.
They represent 670 different models from 143 marques.
Five of my collection are shown below.

The first slot car I owned was the Scalextric Lotus 16, given to me secondhand in 1968 along with a Ferrari 156, two non-working Formula Juniors, some old rubber Scalextric track, a train transformer and two of the old thumb-operated Scalextric controllers.

The first new slot car I owned was the Scalextric Ferrari P4, a birthday present in December 1969. I then had to wait two weeks until Christmas, when I was given some secondhand Scalextric Plexytrack sufficient to make a figure-of-eight circuit, and a new Scalextric Lamborghini Miura.

The first new car I bought with my own money was the Scalextric Ford Mirage in 1970.

The first non-Scalextric car I bought was a Ninco Ferrari F50 in 1996.

My most recent purchase was the Thunderslot Lola T70 Can-Am.

And I still love slot cars with the same passion I had for them aged 8!

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Car

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Wheel

·
Administrator
10,412 Posts
Ah, pretty much the diametrical opposite to what I do - don't like duplicates or color variants.

... well, except for a couple cars which are sort of cult objects and that I don't mind accumulating, like the GRC Spitfire, K&B Cobra, etc. But I do periodically have a cleanout of the real duplicates...

Don

Motor vehicle Toy Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

1 - 20 of 48 Posts