SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much should I sell these digitised A1 cars?
yes, a cheeky question but I may need the money so I'm being curious.

I hate to sell my cars but I may need to. I'm still unsure if I want to but....
And if I do I'm considering selling a whole load of chipped Scalextric cars in bulk on eBay because I've been told that I can only sell 10 items per month. So I'm considering selling these 8 cars together. Maybe that's a very bad idea, I dunno. But I may have to sell all of them

Anyway, any help or suggestions are welcomed. If this is somehow illegal to ask such a question, I understand if this gets deleted by the Moderators...

These are the A1 cars I might sell.

They are all chipped with the SSD f1 chip except for the Swiss A1.

Italy
Australia
Swiss (unchipped)
USA
Britain
France
Holland
Canada

They all have their mirrors and their wings. Again, apologies for being cheeky and testing the waters

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
i believe there is qute a good market for these A1 gp cars and they should fetchsome reasonable money..

There is one rarity in these cars and that from memory is the New Zealand edition wich can go upto the £50-£60 region on it's own.

If they were mine i would like to get around £20-£25 mark plus postage..

If you do opt for ebay i would not list them all together. Hth.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
if you want to make reasonable money sell them individually, not as a job lot. i think your aiming a bit high, round the £20 mark, take a scan through all the well known retailers for the reductions on these type of cars. you might make more money de chipping the cars and selling the chips seperately. john

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (rawhidejohnson @ 27 Apr 2012, 06:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>pretty sure the limit is 100 items a month unless its changed

I was hoping you were right but from what I've read, it's 10 items sadly.

QUOTE (bigbird @ 27 Apr 2012, 06:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
i believe there is qute a good market for these A1 gp cars and they should fetchsome reasonable money..

There is one rarity in these cars and that from memory is the New Zealand edition wich can go upto the £50-£60 region on it's own.

If they were mine i would like to get around £20-£25 mark plus postage..

If you do opt for ebay i would not list them all together. Hth.
including the F1 chip?

QUOTE (stoner @ 27 Apr 2012, 06:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you want to make reasonable money sell them individually, not as a job lot. i think your aiming a bit high, round the £20 mark, take a scan through all the well known retailers for the reductions on these type of cars. you might make more money de chipping the cars and selling the chips seperately. john
cheers for advice to all

I've had lots of interest and PMs but due to the recession the offers have been way too low for my liking.
I've just seen on ebay that someone is selling 10 A1 cars including the rare NZ car but none of them have been chipped and he/she is asking for US $495.99
Approximately £306.41.
The 7 f1 chips in my A1 cars alone cost me £84 so I don't think it's worth the hassle. I'll just do a lot of overtime at work. Ok, cheers for advice

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
from experience you do not seem to get the price of the chip back when seeling a car.

To get the best deal it would be better to remove them but will be a fair bit of work with the amount of wiring that will need to be altered again...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 27 Apr 2012, 16:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
from experience you do not seem to get the price of the chip back when seeling a car.

To get the best deal it would be better to remove them but will be a fair bit of work with the amount of wiring that will need to be altered again...

Yeah, a hell of lot of wiring will be needed and I don't have the time. I guess I shall keep the chips in for that reason and I think most people race digital (??)

·
David H
3,900 Posts
QUOTE (Chip of FDSC @ 27 Apr 2012, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've just seen on ebay that someone is selling 10 A1 cars including the rare NZ car but none of them have been chipped and he/she is asking for US $495.99
Approximately £306.41.
I doubt very much that anyone will buy at that price.

I've long thought that there are plenty of sellers who deliberately overprice cars on eBay in the hope of influencing the market, i.e; they know they won't sell immediately, but hope that the eventual effect of offering dozens of a particular car at a high price of, say, £30 is that it creates an expectation in buyers' minds that £30 is what they'll have to pay.

As for A1 GP cars specifically, do a completed listings search for "Scalextric A1 Grand Prix" and you'll see that there are several priced at £20 that didn't sell. Personally I think that having them chipped will reduce their price, not enhance it. As a buyer I'd view them as used and then mucked about with to add a chip, so in my mind they'd be very secondhand and worth a lot less as a result.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 27 Apr 2012, 16:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I doubt very much that anyone will buy at that price.

I've long thought that there are plenty of sellers who deliberately overprice cars on eBay in the hope of influencing the market, i.e; they know they won't sell immediately, but hope that the eventual effect of offering dozens of a particular car at a high price of, say, £30 is that it creates an expectation in buyers' minds that £30 is what they'll have to pay.

As for A1 GP cars specifically, do a completed listings search for "Scalextric A1 Grand Prix" and you'll see that there are several priced at £20 that didn't sell. Personally I think that having them chipped will reduce their price, not enhance it. As a buyer I'd view them as used and then mucked about with to add a chip, so in my mind they'd be very secondhand and worth a lot less as a result.

Cheers Dopamine, a very good point you make.
Can I put up a youtube link on eBay 'cause if I put them on sale I shall film them so that the buyer can see exactly which condition they're in.

I recently bought some Radius 3 scalextric corners, they were described as "used"... what i got were radius 3 corners which just weren't used, they were really rusty. Took me a over an hour of sanding and cleaning to get them to look ok. They must have been stored in a damp shed. Anyway, cheers for all the info

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Chip, I don't know what, if any, differences Amazon has between our markets, but you might look into setting up an Amazon marketplace account. You can list products that don't really exist (such as chipped versions of analog cars that never came as digital), or just "sell yours" of the ones that do exist and note that yours has an SSD chip in it to explain the price. What's really nice is that the "cut" that Amazon gets isn't very big, they give you a shipping credit, and you decide the price. It doesn't cost me anything to list items on Amazon, and they just sit there forever until they sell, so I can set whatever price I want. Many times, I've sold things for more than I paid or than they really are worth simply because someone wanted one bad enough and I was the only one selling, or in some cases, I was actually the lowest price among those selling them. You can also post a price just under the lowest price to try and get a sale, if you decide it's more important to sell than to store.
Compared to Amazon, IMHO, ebay is a waste of time and money.

Check it out, 'cus although people like a deal, they don't expect everything on Amazon to be pennies on the dollar like they do on ebay. While there's some overlap, the customers on Amazon are more likely to buy at "reasonable" prices than the ebay people who mostly only want fantastic discounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.