SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE Huge's car crossed the line in third and immediately burst into flame. The balsa wood body and thick enamel paint went up like a torch, but someone threw a pail of beer on it.

The fire that so nearly destroyed Huge's car has of course been the subject of much controversy down the years. Was the National Coal Board somehow involved? Had some mysterious flammable fluid secretly been used to soften the rear tyres? Did team orders come into play? The list of conspiracy theories is seemingly endless.

imho, the most credible explanation is that the enamel paint was damaged during an earlier "off" exposing the flammable cellulose balsa sanding sealer undercoat. The heat from that low volt motor was simply too much and... well, the conflagration that ensued is now firmly etched into the annals of history.

I believe that one of Jimmi Hendrix' cellulose finished stratocasters suffered a similar fate. However, at least this guitar survives to this day albeit in a rebuilt form. Sadly and despite the beer, I believe Huge's Maser is with us no more. Last I heard it had been stripped down and the parts used to build an early Vanwall Special rail car.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Firstly, I must profusely apologise for the mis-spelling of Mr Hendrick's's noble name - no treasonous intent was er.. intended.

As for Huge's Maser, I knew about the meths theory of course but had dismissed it on the basis that most of it would have umm.. how could I put it... vapourised due to the bottle being open for several minutes BEFORE he had an opportunity to clean the comm.

I do however bow to your superior knowledge here mr tx. As you say, time to draw a discreet veil over the whole sorry affair.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well RR, it would seem that I stand corrected yet again.

However, I would say that I believe my original source for the flammable cellulose balsa sanding sealer theory to be "highly reliable". For obvious reasons I cannot reveal names but, suffice to say, a "little bird" told me.

A minor bird in point of fact. All I can say is Delahaye hay hay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts