The scope of these discussions sure have gone beyond a 'crash diet' to something more intensive, that's clear! The OP was intended as a quick and easy 'most bang for the buck' in terms of effort. It also meets DiSCA GT3 spec, which several of the other lightening suggestions do not
Fitting my interior (with cage), my Bentley comes in at 20.5g. I'm more than happy to leave it there.
It is worth remembering that there are some very 'heavy' lexan interiors out there. I have fitted one of Charlie Fitz's RHD interiors for 1/24 cars, and it's nowhere near as thick or as heavy as some of the vac-forms out there. I don't have the Slot.it part, maybe theirs is just as good.
Tamar - love the foam insulation around the cage - the cage alone was just not good enough
@ Gio: That's the advantage of the "smaller" 1/32nd scale.. you can get away with "suggesting" detail rather than actually making them.
So thx for the compliment, but in the close up you can see that all I've done is highlight some of the detail with white primer, (gives that nice semi gloss sheen)
and painted the dash and parcel shelf Tamiya Nato black (actually a very dark grey)
Used the stock Scalex helmet and roll cage, pimped the helmet with some flashes of red and green clear, painted the rollcage with wite primer.
@ Gary:I agree that's why I cut up some heat shrink tubes and wrapped them around the rollcage.
@ William: Vacformed parts are usually 0,1 -0,2 mm bigger as they're formed over a positive master.
This is not a problem for bigger parts like windows and interiors, but for light lenses you will have fitting issues.
Not to mention that cutting such small parts to shape can be a pain in the ass...ask me how I know.
Vac formed windows and light lenses are the items Gary mentioned as not allowed lightning suggestions.
As for the Bentley, the lamp lenses have moulded detail on both the outside and inside surfaces, so if you vacform those you'll loose all the nice inside detail.
I agree Tamar, some details can be hinted at. Although many scratch builders get a shock when the camera shows the flaws in their work that the naked eye does not pick up on.....ask me how I know!
I have been creeping forward with a suitable vac form interior for Gio. Possibly a Mk3 version could yet emerge. This one was taken from an old right hand drive piece that also was to the correct dimensions.....that Bentley seems like a long car.
Here is a bit of update on my Conti. First of all, last Saturday, after our DTM race, I raced it against 3 NSR porsches. The car was handling beautifully in the corners. The porsches were a little faster on the straight just because they had a taller gearing (stock 31/13 vs the conti 27/11) but didn't have any suspension kit as the conti. They are also a good 5gr lighter.
Anyway, during the weekend I have put a bit of details on the body work.
First the canards in the front. These are made from the extra material left from a lexan interior attached to the body via a piece of wire (a piece of leg from the resistor I used for taming the rear lights).
I had to drill a small hole by using a very fine bit. I have also opened some vents below the grill and put more bits of lexan material to make look like small radiator grills (it is not really so visible in the pic below).
I have now the opening for the fog lights but I miss the details inside it (the 3x3 matrix LED). Finally I have made a simple rope for pulling the car in case of a crash.
Here is a pic of one side of the car
A bit more details below. I have painted the rims, opened some vents on the back, and opened the exhaust hole.
On the back I have also put the small ring for pulling the car
Nothing really fancy or at the same level as Tamar here. But if I can do it anyone else here should be able to add a bit more details to their cars.
Next week I should receive my interior from John. I will do some of the detailing described by Tamar here.
Yesterday I received the interiors from John Warren - AKA Munter.
Not only he embarked on this project in a very short notice finding some time from his busy schedule, but he did more than one tray and in different trim as well.
Looking at Tamar's interior, I wanted to achieve a similar level of details.
John's tray is very light to start with. Adding some of the details from the original scaley car, I managed to get to 1.56 gr.
I have added the rollcage, the pilot helmet, the top part of the seat with the head support, the fuel pipe on the rear of the pilot and a comm cable.
Because I have cut the tray a bit too short, I had to put some black tape to extend the rear of the tray...This has added a bit of extra weight.
So the final weight of the car is a wooping 20.42 gr
A forum community dedicated to slot car owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about collections, racing, displays, models, track layouts, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!