SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been ask to discribe how i build in the XLC in my routed Track.
Yesterday i built in another XLC in my track.
On this occasion i took fotos to show you how it was made.

My english is to bad to make great words so I will show you more pictures then making words.
O.K. let's start.

This is the part of the track where I planed to build in the XLC.

First I route out the slots. (Did I mentioned it's a quick and dirty solution?)

Cut of the parts I don't needed. This is the place where the flippers take place.

I sawed 2 pieces of left MDF-Parts fits in the holes. In this parts i drilled a 4mm hole from the upper side in which the flipper take place.
Then i drilled a 8mm hole from the other side where the flipper-screw take place.

Now it's time to work on the other side of the trck.
I cut of the part i needed for the electronic of the XLC.
Then i fixed the flipper parts with hot glue.

The electronic parts were fixed with hot glue, too.

Here you can see how to cut of the sensor and solder it.

Then i fixed the electronic with hot glue.

Finaly the electronic part were soldered with the copper tape.

Well done.

Here is the proof that the XLC is working: Video

Slotfan1966

·
Prof I T
11,096 Posts
hi to all.
a picture says a thousand words.excellent work.

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
You seem to have a similar gaps to my xlc at the top end where the car joins it's selected track. I had to do a fix to avoid shorts in that section. Do you get cars losing their ID's or suddenly going full speed?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nice work Slotfan. Best of all, you can have full speed XLC's

I have been working on a universal curved lane change assembly over the past couple of months, to make corner best lines easy to graft into a hand routed track.
I have finished the designs, I still have to machine the components and complete the actual modification to see if it is practical. Also, pit lanes complete with x overs and lane change could be a possibility.
I will update in a few weeks when complete...if it works

- Cam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the positive responses.

ZITAT(distantkiwi @ 17 May 2010, 09:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You seem to have a similar gaps to my xlc at the top end where the car joins it's selected track. I had to do a fix to avoid shorts in that section. Do you get cars losing their ID's or suddenly going full speed?
Since I built the track, I no longer have this problem.

ZITAT(Camber @ 17 May 2010, 09:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice work Slotfan. Best of all, you can have full speed XLC's

I have been working on a universal curved lane change assembly over the past couple of months, to make corner best lines easy to graft into a hand routed track.
I have finished the designs, I still have to machine the components and complete the actual modification to see if it is practical. Also, pit lanes complete with x overs and lane change could be a possibility.
I will update in a few weeks when complete...if it works

- Cam
Camber - good luck and keep on working.
With a little more skill you will get a fine track.

And now again the link to my track at Photosynth: My Chaos Track

Slotfan1966

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Slotfan1966,
Would it be possible for you to post a track layout? The "chaos track" pictures are very neat but it is hard to get a handle on what you have built.

Either that or do a series of still photos of the different sections of the track.

It looks like a real "panic" to race if not total "chaos".

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZITAT(sealevel @ 6 Jun 2010, 01:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slotfan1966,
Would it be possible for you to post a track layout? The "chaos track" pictures are very neat but it is hard to get a handle on what you have built.

Either that or do a series of still photos of the different sections of the track.

It looks like a real "panic" to race if not total "chaos".

Cheers!

Hi,

my track is only a low budget copy of "the white lake formula 1 Ring".

JmghF1 has built the best layout i've ever seen. Thanks to him.

The reason why i called it "the chaos track" is not the layout, it's the good arrangement beside my track.

Slotfan1966

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
Even so, I'd also like to see more "overall" (uber alles?
photos of your track as sealevel has requested. that plus a quick sketch of the plan would be great.
We are very greedy, aren't we?

·
Registered
15 Posts
ZITAT(MrFlippant @ 6 Jun 2010, 06:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Even so, I'd also like to see more "overall" (uber alles?
photos of your track as sealevel has requested. that plus a quick sketch of the plan would be great.
We are very greedy, aren't we?

After months of rain and cold temperatures now we've got sunshine and temperatures of 30°C (86°F) in germany.
I will take overall photos (Übersichtsbilder), when the weather is bad again (in germany usualy it doesn't take a long time till the weather change).

Slotfan1966

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
Haha! That sounds like where I live (Seattle area
)! Yesterday was so nice, I had a garage sale.

Anyway, yes, please take your time and enjoy the nice weather while it lasts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice track slotfan1966, I have family in Hanau just outside of Frankfurt. Like MrFlippant says the weather here in the Seattle area is pretty the same as in Germany......our areas of the world are in the same weather pattern
. I love your lane changers ....look fast .I'm planning on doing some MDF areas on my track as well and your 'how-to' will come in handy
...Thanks

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Thank you slotfan1966 for your indformative and helpful thread.
I had been looking for just such information.

I hope you can give me your opinion on some ideas and subtle details of such a system.

I intend making flippers which are much longer than standard - so that the degree of angle which the flipper creates when the car deviates to change lanes is much gentler than a standard manufactured LC.

This is so lane changing can be a little more natural, and cause less "disruption" to the velocity and stability of a car when making high speed lane changes.

But I am a little unsure about the angles of movement of the flipper. It seems to me that if the flipper is twice and long, and yet moves by the same amount of sloot width - say 3 or 3.5mm, then the angle of the movement is only half that of a shorter lane changer. Did this cause any difficulty for the mechanics of the solenoid?

Did you make any special calculations about the relationship between the solonoid and the hinge of the flipper?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, little time to answer.

new job -> very very less time.

Calculating? No, just try and error.

In my new track i took PECO PL-10W as solonoid.

Hint: if you set the solonoid at the beginning of the flipper the solonoid has to move the flipper over a shorter distance.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (Slotfan1966 @ 16 May 2010, 21:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been ask to describe how i build in the XLC in my routed Track.

I sawed 2 pieces of left MDF-Parts fits in the holes. In this parts i drilled a 4mm hole from the upper side in which the flipper take place.
Then i drilled a 8mm hole from the other side where the flipper-screw take place.

Here you can see how to cut of the sensor and solder it.

Then i fixed the electronic with hot glue.

Finaly the electronic part were soldered with the copper tape.

Well done.

Here is the proof that the XLC is working: Video

Slotfan1966

1 - 20 of 25 Posts