SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build my own dead strip sensor.
Any sugestions for cutting the scalextric classic track?
I have tried a dremmel clone with poor results.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cutting!!??? I run a dead strip using the three inch section of Sport track marked "T". I just pulled out the connector tabs, soldered the harness to the computer to the hold-down tabs under the rails and called it done. Remember to leave a bit of length on the jumper leads that connect the track around the dead strip. Helps with assembly and disassembly. The Trak-Mate site has a good diagram to help you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Good one Harry
If you still opt to butcher a piece of track you need a high speed die grinder with a very thin fiber cutting disk. It takes a steady hand and light touch or you'll melt the track. After cutting it up you can clean up the plastic and fill any open areas with epoxy or whatever and hit it with paint or a magic marker.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry Azrael, I reread your post. See if the three inch section is still available in Classic. If not, you could use the converters and the short "T" section. Cutting this stuff is hard, messing it up is easy. I would try a band-saw (metal cutter) for this. You can Google "sportcraft" and check with them as they still have a PILE of new classic track on their shelves.

Good luck

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all
The dingo link is very helpful.

I bought a shed load of old straights just for this project so no problems cutting them up.

Az

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi all,

dont know if this is any use or if i am stating the obvious but.....

im just now cutting up track to make a 3 lane layout (string in tracks and scenery, opinions would be appreciated) and a jigsaw went through it like butter

a steady hand and a quick file down with one of those ceramic tile files (the open mesh thing) cleaned it all up nice.

can it all be so simple? i was expecting melted plastic everywhere but no, just a nice quick clean cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts