SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using a SCX Terminal Track Plus and two electronic transformers. On a 20 meter track the power is fine but lacking everso slightly.

We're going for a 30 meter track so how do we get more power easily? We have extra terminal tracks but the manual states not to connect extra terminal tracks.

I saw some special power cord you could buy but I don't get the concept?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi, Thomas, others

Is the plan #2 with ring of cables around the track worth the extra effort? I just would like to know. I am participating in building 46m 4 lane track. Plan #2 would mean almost 200 meters of cable.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I agree that the "ring" design normally requires more wire, although certain complex track designs (if they use enough power taps) can actually use less wire with this scheme. For most circumstances however, I prefer a "star" scheme, where the controller outputs run to a central connection point, and from there wires lead to each power tap.

My advice is to roughly draw it out on paper and you'll probably determine quite quickly which system will use the least amount of wire for a specific track.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
We did the ring system on Mugello and the open end on Suzuka.
If you do both well there is little to choose between them although the advantages of a ring are no power drop around the ring, much reduced chance of power problems when one connection goes down for example.

If your track is long and your power transformers either standard box set type or you are using one for the whole track then I suggest an upgrade in power supply to linear regulated, preferably variable voltage and minimum 1.5Amp delivery OR if your budget can stretch to it, one transformer per lane.

You can get plug in (wall wart) types now that deliver between 9 and 18 volts via a switch, are reversable via switch and deliver 1.5Amp. These are around 25 to 30 Euro per and make about the biggest difference to your slot experience you can get , alongside a controller upgrade.

In my opinion this is regardless of whether you have a small two lane home track or
the biggest 8 lane Club monster.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I agree with Fergy. I think Star is the best, having used it twice, and a ring once.

Is a break in the circuit occurs in the ring, the track power suffers all over, but if a break occurs in the star then only one section becomes slow.

One difference of my star to Fergy's, is that my controller feeds go to the track, and then the track to the 'central star point'. This way if the lead from the controller feed to the star breaks, you still have the main track section being powered.

Mclaren

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Why not just use an extra powersupplied track?
But make sure the power runs the same way on both tracks!
That also allow the two drivers to stand opposite each other instead of beside of each other.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE Is a break in the circuit occurs in the ring, the track power suffers all over, but if a break occurs in the star then only one section becomes slow.

That isn't right McLaren, in fact unless the ring itself breaks you always have two connections to each power tap with a ring. If a tap point breaks and the ring remains intact then the effect will be the same as for a broken star for the track.
If a break occurs in a ring the power will flow in both directions, along the wiring to the break point and THAT point will suffer loss of power IF the track joints are weak.
If a break occurs with a Star then the weak point can only be supported by power flowing into the two adjacent power taps and along the track in two directions.
I know which I would prefer to rely on if it comes to a choice between hard wired cable and push fit track mate.

A ring could also require less wire than a star depending on the circumference of the ring and the number of taps it joins to. Think spokes of a wheel.

Power taps work well when placed every two metres or so round the track, use the length of your track to decide yourself how complex you need your power taps.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I think what McLaren meant was when a break in power happens at the end of the ring. In fact, few breaks ever occur in mid-wire and most occur at connection points.

In a ring system, if an end join goes faulty (for whatever reason), power must flow through considerably more wire than with a star system, and may be quite hard to detect.

In a star system, a failure in the main star feed will be obvious, and a failure in any "spoke" in the star will have negligible impact, assuming enough power taps were already in use.

I agree that the "ring" system can sometimes be more efficient but it is important to note that the specific circumstances will dictate which one is best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (schnuz @ 27 Sep 2004, 19:37)We already have 2 x 14 volts 1500mA electronic transformers (one per lane). We also use 20 Ohm Pro Controllers from SCX.

The manual states not to connect two terminal tracks?! Also I don't yet understand how to connect a two terminal setup precisely.
So is it safe or at all possible to connect to terminal tracks to one track?

I mean, the second terminal track won't have any controllers so the current would be controlled how?

·
Registered
773 Posts
...it's depending on the wiring within the 2nd terminal track - if lanes are connected with each other, you're producing a short circuit, if not, it does not make sense to do that! Why do you want to connect 2 terminal tracks? Without power and controllers fitted to both terminal tracks you have no results - and when 2 terminal tracks are supplying the same lane of the track via 2 controllers you're connecting these together which will result in a non-working-track...

If you need more power within the track use power tabs as described above - and connect them with your terminal track - -it's an easy job! You even might use loudspeaker-cables from your DIY - 2*1,5mm^2 is good enough...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mentioned this because that's what Slotrace.dk mentioned, so now I'm equally confused.

As to connecting a power chord I'm still not sure how to do it exactly since it hasn't been described in detail, and being a noob I need details to do it right.

From where to where do I connect the chord? There's nowhere on the first terminal track to connect it since that's where the two transformers are already plugged in, and the two controllers go in the other sockets?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts