SlotForum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
The question of "nu-matics" is a good one.

I have often prefered to glue my tyres on with super glue, and giving at least 2-3 mm of contact area between the rim and the tyre on both innner and outer portions of the hub, continuosly, so all of the tyre is glued to the rim, basically forming a (cant think of the term) "air tight seal" for want of a better expression.

Having done that - I true the tyre so it has a flat contact area and rolled egdes. The question of matics then comes in, becuase I prepare for racing using WD40, running approx 50 laps with nothing but WD40 as a grip/cleaning agent. After basically running the tyre in I get a soft spongy feel to the rubber, and the rubber starts to "feather", at this point I know I have a tyre that will run well, and give good grip for a few months, to the point where it can have too much grip.

At one point, what is defined as nu-matic?, because by gluing a tyre on a rim, it will always go nu-matic, the way I set a tyre up. I dont soak the tyres in WD40 - I just brush it on, spin the tyres up on the track, and allow the car to naturally pull away... (leaving 2 enourmous black slugs down the track).

Having raced in a 24 hours race, where tyres were not allowed to be glue on, dosent stop the principal of "nu-matics" as the tyre still is able to expand, and increase rolling radius, admittedly with a little lesss control.

All that said, why ban something that is a principal part of motor racing, on a 1:1 scale. "Ermm, sorry Mr Shmumaker - u got air in ur tyres m8..... some one chuck me a pin!"
Im not pushing for an argument, just highlighting an area where, our hobby is full of grey areas.
My setup stratergy is somewhat precise, and really enjoy getting a set of tyres to work well. I would much prefer to be told, "hey bud, seems like youve got a lil bit of numatics going on here, change ur axle m8!" and I would willing oblige... rather than have someone interfere and ruin a perfectly usabel set of tyres, for use on my home circuit or other.

This is an interesting topic

CoolS

· Registered
555 Posts
I don't race at any club circuits, just on a home track, so I have to ask what might seem a silly question - why glue the tyres to the wheels? I have never had tyres whizzing across the lounge mid-race, so what are the benefits?

Aaron

· Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE (Gaugemaster Controls @ 20 Sep 2004, 11:00)I don't race at any club circuits, just on a home track, so I have to ask what might seem a silly question - why glue the tyres to the wheels? I have never had tyres whizzing across the lounge mid-race, so what are the benefits?

Aaron
Tyre gluing for me, ensures that the tyre doesnt spin up on the rim, and foul the body work. When motors (even the basic mabochi), rev to their max, inertia will throw the tyre away from the center of a spinning axle. It doesnt mean the tyre will come off, but I have seen it done.
The hub will also spin in the tyre, to a degree, and forward motion will be lost. On the home circuit, it probably wont be that noticable, but on the club circuit where straights are longer, corners faster, it is easily noticed and goes along way to reduce lap time and increase competativeness.

Gluing the whole tyre on to the rim, would go along way to reduce the "numatics" effect as metioned in an earlir reply.

CoolS

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.