SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When deciding to put Slot It gears in my Scalextric Camaro the wheels wouldn't fit under the arches. So I decided to purchase a kit of the car, and make this wide enough for the new tires.
First I used the "teaspoon" method to raise and widen the arches, but wasn't pleased with the appearance of this. To make it smother and a bit wider I used Humbrol Model Filler, and sanded this as I felt needed.
After this I tried to paint the car using Tamiya black in a spray can, but it the filler was showing under the paint (guess I should have used some sort of primer first
). I tried four light layers of paint, but gave up...
So I sanded the paint down, and used Humbrol grey paint as primer. I didn't bother driving to town for another box of Tamiya, so I bought a can of RCPaint from a local shop instead. Used this for 3 light layers, and then a thicker layer.
Even if the filler don't show now I am far from pleased with the result of my painting.

At least the decals from Radical Decals hide some of my shortcomings (sorry about the poor picture, it was taken with my mobile phone):

Although I've learned a lot while doing this, I need some advice for future projects like it.
- What sort of primer and paint do you recommend?
- Should I use a spray can or a brush (airbrush is not an option for me, I'm not that serious yet)?
- How many layers of paint?
- Where do you paint your cars? I've done this indoors, but the smell sticks for ages

- Any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and when not using a mask during the spray painting I got a good taste of the fumes
I won't be repeating that!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of the trick using sand paper between coats...

There isn't any clear coat on the Camaro yet, but I'll put Future floor wax on once I can find some.

There is a bloke down the street that paints 1:1 cars for a living, and he's helped me before with my car. I'll probably use him if I want a slotcar to look really great, but for now I just want to see what I can do on my own.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts