SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
From memory, to associate a car with controller 2 (for example)...

- place car on track (having removed all other cars first)
- press the 'edit' button on the SSD power wart, sorry, base
- press '->' until you see 'Car 2'
- press 'edit'
- press '->' until you see 'Set ID' (it may be the first thing you see, can't remember)
- press 'edit'
- press 'accept'
- press 'accept' again to exit back to race mode

It sounds more complicaed than it is. It is not as elegant as the SCX method ( Hornby/Scalextric don't seem to be a very design driven company
) but it works.

If you leave other cars on the track they all get set to be car 2.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There seem to be pro and cons to all methods of programming. That method is nice because it doesnt require dip switches on the car, making the package smaller. However, everyone needs to stop racing to code a car.

The carrera method is nice because you can code cars while others are racing. Its easy to take off one of the ghost cars, code it to a differnt channel without disrupting the other cars. On the down side, you need access to the dip switches.

I wonder how SCX does it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 1 Dec 2004, 22:08)I wonder how SCX does it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SCX did some nice interaction design in my opinion (and I work in the field, so I guess I should know
), they use the controller and power base, so you place the car on the track, plug in the controller, hold down the big fat red 'car' button until it lights up, then hit the 'change button' . The cars lights come one to to let you know it got the message, then you take it off the track to 'fix' the programming.

I may have the details wrong but that is the gist of it. A very nice user experience if you ask me, much better than clicking through little cell phone like menus. Even better would have been if you squeezed the controller trigger (or hit its LC button) to make the car - controller connection. Use the objects themselves!

In my opinion dip switches are super-geeky. Typical Germans!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 2 Dec 2004, 09:41)QUOTE (darainbow @ 1 Dec 2004, 22:08)I wonder how SCX does it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion dip switches are super-geeky. Typical Germans!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought so too but they are the only format that will support the large format races. Typically after a heat, cars are left trackside to mark their position. When a heat begins people put a color sticker on their car and put their car on track. Now they will flip the dip switches and put the car on track. With digital, heats will be important NOT because you have to run every lane, but because you have to run against every person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts