SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Should someone point out to them that that particular Torana won't be made? Unless, of course, Jadlam are going into custom paint jobs now.

Embs

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't get it...

But then again, I am not from "Down Under"...

So would any of the Aussies (or any other experts) please enlighten the outsiders...

·
6,455 Posts
Ok.

The link that UKSqueezea posted was to an ebay listing for the Brock Marlboro Torana, which Scalex announced but withdrew due to tobacco advertising (cos they didn't realise it was baccy related when they announced). Scalex will still be releasing a Brock Torana but it will the red, white and blue livery that he ran with his brother Phil. Also, it was listed at a starting price 5 quid, from memory.

It's a typical pre-release listing from one of the forum sponsors who moves a large majority of their stock on eBay.

Does it make any more sense now? Possibly not. It is important to understand the near god-like status that Peter Brock had in Australia and the fact that the Marlboro car was his most widely remembered livery from the era.

Embs

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably best explained like this Embs.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were at a race meeting and someone asked you if you'd like to meet a famous racing car driver and they hint that it will be Jim Clark or Aryton Senna, and when you get there they wheel out David Coulthard or Martin Brundle.

Sort of like thinking your about to meet George Harrison and and you get George Michael instead.

·
6,455 Posts
Take that last thought a step further... Thinking you're going to meet George Clooney and getting George Michael instead.

But... The point must be made that the replacement car is still a Brock car. And still a Bathurst car. It's all in how you look at it. Don't think of it as loosing a Brock car... Think of it as gaining a Brock.

·
Ewan McKen
1,448 Posts
I think I would me more comfortable conversing with Coulthard than Clark or Senna.

Regards,
Ewan

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (ewanmcken @ 20 Jan 2012, 09:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think I would me more comfortable conversing with Coulthard than Clark or Senna.

Regards,
Ewan
Yeah I struggle with ouija boards and mediums too Ewan.

It's a lovely looking car. I really like that bodyshape so it'll be interesting to see the final model.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok thanks, I get it now! The silly tobacco thing again...

Too bad Coulthard and Brundle will not be sharing the same commentator box during F1 races this year...

·
Registered
319 Posts
QUOTE (MartinT @ 20 Jan 2012, 10:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Too bad Coulthard and Brundle will not be sharing the same commentator box during F1 races this year...

Wassat?! Oh, F1, shant watch it this year, or ever again after not missing more than a couple of races in the last 25 years -Brundle being the biggest hypocrite of all, in my very HO of course. Call it a boycott

·
Registered
325 Posts
QUOTE (OppositeLock @ 20 Jan 2012, 13:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wassat?! Oh, F1, shant watch it this year, or ever again after not missing more than a couple of races in the last 25 years -Brundle being the biggest hypocrite of all, in my very HO of course. Call it a boycott

Boycot by not watching? But then the ONLY one being bothered will be YOU, and you alone...

·
Registered
319 Posts
QUOTE (MartinT @ 20 Jan 2012, 12:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Boycot by not watching? But then the ONLY one being bothered will be YOU, and you alone...

I've already lost my number one love anyway (highlights are useless to me), and I think an awful lot of other fans feel the same -forums are full of similar comments.

Oh, sorry to go off topic BTW.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
G'day Guys,

They've got the red, white and blue car in the race museum at Bathurst !!.

You are allowed to sit in it to have a photo taken !!.

Yes, I did 5 laps of the circuit, AND overtook a Volvo down Conrod !!.

It is an amazing place actually, you drive down a suburban street, it says "Welcome to Mount Panorama" on a banner over the road,

then it says "Please Turn Right", and you are on the grid !!!. Unbelievable !!.

One of my more memorable days.

vbr Chris A.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
Was it one of the Brock's, who when asked the moronic "What you think happened there mate?" laconically turned to the camera in his car and said to the commentator "Well I think he crashed into the wall, mate"

That was the first time I ever saw the Bathurst. Brilliant racing.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
What was that on Phil, they were a real eye opener for me, the swivel cams in the Bathurst.

To get back on topic, just watched a clip of that car when one of the brocks nearly collapsed pushing it up the pit lane. Now I can see why he's a hero. Big conkers, that lad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reading the comments from the non-Aussies has sort of prompted me to just say if you are ever planning a trip to Australia - plan it around the race at Bathurst. You will not be disappointed!

The atmosphere at this iconic Australian event is fantastic and the people there are great. I've been three times in recent years and camped in the Paddock camp ground for the entire week prior to the race. You will see and meet some real characters and see some incredible racing - guaranteed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts