SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
normally i´m running 1/43rd cars, but i also got 3 Tomy SRT GT40 cars, as they are so nice. I really want to run those cars on my 24m wood track.
I already added SlideGuides to those cars, but they are still not handling very good. What else can i do to improve the handling of the SRT´s?

Can i reduce the axle play in the rear axle? How to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
already turned the voltage down to approximately 8V.
is brass or lead more heavy than the magnets?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
8V sounds a bit low, I found them okay without magnets at 12V, and yes lead or brass would be heavier than the magnet.

What are the handling problems you're having?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Sounds like you've got a sloppy chassis, there is a metal part that goes round the back of the chassis that might prevent this. Usually the problem is wheel spin without magnets.

·
Rich Dumas
3,600 Posts
Try using slip-on silicone tires, they have a lot more grip than rubber tires. SRT cars have a pair of neodymium magnets in a plastic holder. You can try replacing that with lead. You should be able to get the cars running well at 12 volts.

·
Registered
576 Posts
QUOTE (RichD @ 15 Jul 2011, 02:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can try replacing that with lead.
Or better yet, try the brand new product from renown Italian maker Slot.It: Tungsten model clay
Tungsten is about double the weight of lead, and Slot.It's product is like any ordinary model clay or plasticina:
It can be bent and shaped in any form to fit in every nook and cranny, and even the smallest crevice in a chassis,
to put the weight of a car down and put the CG (center of gravity) as low as possible.
Unlike lead, tungsten is also highly - non-toxic! Tungsten model clay is a truly amazing product.

Tungsten model clay: If you haven't already done so, check here for more info.
(Also here for a more scientific approach on tungsten, the next best thing to uranium and gold.)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

I really like the tungsten model clay! Very useable also for my 1/43rd cars. Now i need to find a source, maybe in Austria or a place where i can order it online.

Thanks again,
Peter

EDIT: found some tungsten fishing weight on the bay, 20g for under 7 euro - quite pricy, but i will give it a try.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 7 Jul 2011, 15:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>jumping of the rear axle under heavy acceleration

Hi Peter,

When you say the rear axle is jumping, how do you mean? Is the car "bunny hopping"? It could be that your rear axle is bent. If you can straighten it out, that might alleviate the jumping and leave you with the more normal wheel spinning!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (pfuetze @ 15 Jul 2011, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really like the tungsten model clay! Very useable also for my 1/43rd cars. Now i need to find a source, maybe in Austria or a place where i can order it online.

It says in the post it is a new product from Slot.it I guess you could try them for it

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i replaced the stock tires with Jel Claws (i got some 1/43rd Jel Claws and those tires work great on my track). Also, i removed the play in the rear axle with a small drop of superglue. With the snug play now, there is no jumping of the rear axle.
Now the cars run much better. Maybe i will remove the magnet and add the thungsten weight, but by now, it´s not really necessary.

cheers,
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Must get round to my local tackle shop to get some

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but the thungsten weight will fit very easy in the magnet pockets of the SRT chassis. I don´t like touching the toxic lead too much, easier with the thungsten. plus it´s more heavy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts