SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting a bunch with my C7042 and different race set ups. Our club has been doing some racing and we have not been able to fill a full 6 car field in some of the classes. We have filled the extra spots with pace cars. The pace car set up is easy enough to use after you play with it for a bit. My question is this: our track has 1 tight hair pin turn just before the final straight away to the start finish line. When we run the pace cars we have to keep them slow enough to make that final hairpin without de-slotting. This then makes the pace cars fairly slow on the rest of the track, sometimes even stopping on the LC's flipper at times. Any more speed and they de-slot in the hairpin. I have heard talk of a way to "record" a lap with a human running the car and then have the c7042 have the car keep repeating that lap. Can this be done using just the c7042 or can it only be done using a race management software such as SSDC? Thanks again for any and all help!

Matt

·
Registered
468 Posts
Matt,

I may be proved wrong, but I believe this is only possible with aftermarket software. With a stock setup, pace car maximum speed is dictated by the slowest corner on your track.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hi Matt,

If you haven't done so already, add another magnet to the pace cars. True, clean & oil their tyres or swap them for urethane or silicons.

Chris

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi
Yes you do need aftermarket software to be able to run variable throttle pace cars,but at the moment they are not really race reliable enough.

Do everything that Chris mentions and you won't be able to keep up with the little blighters.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Easy solution is insulate a rail of track just before the hairpin so that it slows down. Experiment with how long and exactly where to insulate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. We did of course true the tires and oil them. That did help. We also added a magnet and that helped as well! We will try to insulate a rail and see what that does for us!

Matt

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a similar issue on my track. Any suggestions where to buy magnets from? I looked on hotslots132 but found nothing in the Scalextric magnets.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I would, of course, suggest Pendle's but as they don't pay me, I won't ...... but they are jolly good ...

Obvious place would be Scalextric USA ......

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi
I have plenty you could have for free as long as your willing to pay post to the States.

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE (Jawsfan @ 16 Sep 2012, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a similar issue on my track. Any suggestions where to buy magnets from? I looked on hotslots132 but found nothing in the Scalextric magnets.
You don't have to have Scalextric magnets, you could use any with a spot of super glue or maybe Blu Tac.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This can be fixed with SSDC, but the problem I had is that as the Scalextric cars warm up, they slow down, and this would throw off the ssdc settings, at least for my situation. I could set them to work, but they I would have to set them real slow. I may have had something set wrong, but I fumbled with this for quite a while.

Here's what I did. I created a layout that omitted all the R-1 curves, then I got some of my best running cars including my Slot.it's, and made sure the "Variable Throttle" setting on SSDC was not selected.

The results were awesome, I got some really competitive pace cars racing. I hope this helps.

rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again guys for all of the replies! Jawsfan, I love the movie! Am I to assume that "jawsfan" is for the movie?

.............."I value my hide a lot more than $3,000 Cheif. I'll find him for 3, but I'll catch 'em, and kill 'em, for 10!".........................

Matt

·
Greg Gaub
14,982 Posts
Need another magnet for your pace car? Pull the magnet out of YOUR car, and put it in the pacer. Then you'll have a challenge on your hands. Basic maintenance and tuning of your newly magless car will be essential, including all the things Chris mentioned. IMHO, this is the only way to run pace cars as anything but traffic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Am I to assume that "jawsfan" is for the movie?

.............."I value my hide a lot more than $3,000 Cheif. I'll find him for 3, but I'll catch 'em, and kill 'em, for 10!".........................

You are correct my friend. My next layout should be a movie themed one after my 007 one gets old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was growing up when that movie came out. 6 years old and in the movie theater with my father. I was so scared after that movie!!! LOL! I was worried even in the bath tub!!!!! I go water skiing quite a bit, and to this day, I still feel eerie sitting in the water waiting for the boat to take off and it is a freshwater lake in Indiana. Still here the music....... duh duh, duh duh and so on! I can mouth the words to the entire movie. My wife hates it!

Matt

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
just noticed it was on sale in bluray format yesterday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was given a great idea from a member of another forum(auslot.com). The member, mattcrackers, told me to try adding a washer in the car for both weight as well as down force. I added a second magnet to the car, trued the tires, wd-40 on the tires and ran the pace car again. It was much better, but still it was more traffic than it was competition. I then added a large washer on top of the magnets and dropped the car on the track. I ran the car myself with the controller and was able to go full speed around the entire track and slow just a tuch in the hairpin. I set the car for pace car and began to race the car. I was unable to even come close to keeping up. I took the large washer out, added a smaller washer, adjusted the speed on the pace car through the power base and, shazaam!!!!! Perfect speed, and yet still stays on the track. If forces me to run almost flawlessly or be beaten by the pace cars!!!! The washer, in effect, enlarged the magnetic area to the size of the washer as well as added weight. I only wonder if the added drag from the magnetism and the weight will burn the motor our faster????? This is a must try!

Thanks again, to mattcrackers for the idea

Matt K

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi
Yes the motor life will be shortened mostly by heat,magnets hate it. But it should happily go round for many laps.

Motors are quite cheap and very easy to replace.

·
Registered
451 Posts
G'day Matt,

I do frequent this Forum as well

Mr Flippant,

I first started using washers as a way of adding weight to my 3 Porshe 997's to even them out for digital racing because as you know no 3 cars are the same, even identical cars. One had a powerful motor compared to the other 2 and one handled better than the others. I started out by measuring the magnetic downforce of the 3 cars using my home-made magnet marshall (converted digital scales) and discoverd that the best handling car had the most downforce, the most powerful car the least. To get the three cars on an even par I tried different washers (I have shiploads of them) to get the downforce to roughly the same for each car. All 3 cars now handle pretty much the same and it makes for good even racing and I haven't lost/burnt out a motor yet (someone will always complain that their car is slower or crashes all the time but I tell them that the its the driver not the car).

Matt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts