Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real imaginary prizes! Mrs Howmet has been busy, so who's up for this?

What was the ugliest race car ever built and successfully raced (at least one lap completed)?
Nominations with photos if possible please, and the winning car gets built on the Scratchbuilding page.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Ok I'll kick it off!...

The Xzylon :-

Built in Wales, Designed by Frank Costin and Driven by Jem Marsh and Jackie Stewart.

Must be a contender!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was that old advertising jingle- 'made in Wales, made in Wa-aa-ales'?

OK, it IS a contender, no question- but somebody save me from having to build THAT thing! I think you've grasped the idea, Governor and BJ.

More, please!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Ok, I am going for two entries at the same time - you sitting down howmet?

First for contender of the crown is the Mantis Sport Racer - Spa 1968 gives its race qualification.

and second, with a race qualifying of a finish at Le Mans in 1966 - the Mini Marcos!

Pics courtesy of Unofficial marcos homepage

Yours too BeeJay?

G

·
I like those too, I have always had a soft spot for Marcos cars I nearly bought a Mini Marcos years ago.

RR Hiding from the bad taste police

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
How about this DKW?

DKW

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woooo.... I'm enjoying this! But I kind of like the DKW in an ugly duckling sort of way- Mrs H agrees, and she will be the final arbiter in this.

And Swiss, the Marcos Mantis had real style! Where were you in the sixties when that thing came out? I had a G.T. Models vacform, sprayed dark metallic green- it was the coolest thing at our club for week or two. Good memories for me. So you lucked out with that one. Sorry. But do try again- as many entries as you like!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I had, maybe even still have
a Corgi Whizzwheels (Matchbox size) model of the Mantis, but it's in a gold/bronze colour.
That Xzylon was looking alright until they decided to make a roof for it!!
"I know lets go down the funfair and look at some kiddie rides!"

Mark.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
or this one?

nahhh, that car has been done, besides I like it

EDIT:

these cars are still being raced in Sweden...

the gray one is ugly though (IMHO)

G

·
I was waiting for someone to put up a Saab picture, I think the early cars have real charm about them.

I like cars that look different from the rest as this is what makes them so interesting.

RR

tx, why not build a model of BABS instead? I would love to see a slot car version of this wonderful car made.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
QUOTE (Difflock @ 25 Apr 2004, 03:17)"I know lets go down the funfair and look at some kiddie rides!"

They were obviously uninspired by the rides and ended up stealing the design from the cabin where the fat gypsy lady (or munter, to use the technical term) sits.

Still head and shoulders (and somebody sitting on them) above the rest in my opinion. Perhaps those two well known drivers mentioned raced it in a comedy showbiz stylee, you know, long coat and short arms!

And before there is any "unpleasantness", I do hope nobody is going to suggest the thing of beauty in my avatar for this category!

Mr.M

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Sheez, Howmet. As if you don't have enough projects already! We are all anxiously waiting to see the Eagle and the McLaren M7A which you mentioned earlier.....

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Lister Storm LMP900 has to be the ugliest racing car that I've ever seen, but Scalextric has already produced that one!

Then there was the 1969 Cosworth 4-WD F1 project, but it never raced, so I guess that it doesn't count.

Let's make it easier for you to build. Take your choice between the Cunningham "Le Monstre", or the Chaparral 2J.

With kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to admit you have a point about the Cosworth, Russell- even the driver looks embarrassed in that top picture.

But I have to say, so far only the Xzylon comes close to a Panoz or a Cunningham Monstre in my opinion. And I've seen some specials at hillclimbs that make you want to bite your own head off.

I'm feeling particularly masochistic, and I want to see more!!!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE the Marcos Mantis had real style! Where were you in the sixties when that thing came out?

Filling cotton nappies (yep! NO throw aways in them days lad! and man those saftey pins were BIG
) and thinking that the "Wooden Tops" were more hip than 'The Herbs' mate

You slid over the Mini Marcos though? I could accept the Mantis has some cred' - in a 'Captain Scarlet'/ 'Joe 90' sort of way but the Mini Marcos? UGH!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well a quick Google - Image search provides, among other things...

- A Dodge Viper
- A picture of someones zipper
- A Honda S2000 with teeth
- A Batmobile
- Micheal Schumacher (ha!)
- Fiat Multipla's a plenty
- http://www.uglyrentacar.com/
-

And a whole host of American Dodges, Corvettes and the like...

BUT NO UGLY RACE CARS!!!!

How am I gonna win the comp now...

Lotus

UPDATE: Further searching provided:

It is refered to as 'Butch Jelly' but I don't really know what it is...

Sorry for the kind of pointless post but I thought the Google results were pretty funny, lol

1 - 20 of 111 Posts