SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Rail's Cunningham's out of the way, the next project worms it's way onto the vacant space on the bench. The Howmet was so much fun to make, I wanna do another 60s sports prototype.
And since Scalextric have made my other year long project redundant with their newly announced P4, what better than that other great Le Mans classic of '67, the original Gulf Mirage-Ford?
As far as I know, no-one else does it, and unless anyone out there knows of any other manufacturer planning to do it, I shall continue whittling and grinding and puttying until Jackie Ickx's streamlined GT40 hits the Howburgring.
This is a gentle lead in to a request for any nice detail photos that anyone might have. I'm working from the old Model Cars plans and a few random magazine shots for now, but I've never known the Slot Forum Press Archive Collective to let me down with informed info and inside knowledge.
I promise I'll run off some casts when I'm finished whittling if you can keep me supplied with the visuals!

Tally-Ho!

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
How about these bannanas :-

Car # 15 is the Ickx/Muir car from the 67 Le Mans Race.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was the quick response unit, evidently.....
Thanks fellas!

It's a great car though, isn't it?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 7 Jan 2005, 23:04)That was the quick response unit, evidently.....
Thanks fellas!

It's a great car though, isn't it?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a nice car and one of my personal favourites. Funnily enough I bought a Lancer copy Mirage shell at the Orpington Swapmeet and plan to build a chassis for it sometime this year.

David

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 7 Jan 2005, 21:02)Now Rail's Cunningham's out of the way, the next project worms it's way onto the vacant space on the bench. The Howmet was so much fun to make, I wanna do another 60s sports prototype.
And since Scalextric have made my other year long project redundant with their newly announced P4, what better than that other great Le Mans classic of '67, the original Gulf Mirage-Ford?
As far as I know, no-one else does it, and unless anyone out there knows of any other manufacturer planning to do it, I shall continue whittling and grinding and puttying until Jackie Ickx's streamlined GT40 hits the Howburgring.
This is a gentle lead in to a request for any nice detail photos that anyone might have. I'm working from the old Model Cars plans and a few random magazine shots for now, but I've never known the Slot Forum Press Archive Collective to let me down with informed info and inside knowledge.
I promise I'll run off some casts when I'm finished whittling if you can keep me supplied with the visuals!

Tally-Ho!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Howmet it's a P3 that Scalextric are making which raced in 1966. The Mirage M1 raced in 1967 against the P4.
I have Lancer vacform bodied slotcars in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale I am not sure the Model Car plans are accurate. This car was a narrow windscreen GT40. And although winning the Nurburgring race powered by a 5.7 litre Ford engine. It was not allowed to count the race towards the Ford manufacturers points. Since it was deemed a Prototype and not enough had been built for homologation (just like the Ferrari 250LM 1965).
John Wyer in the book 'The Certain Sound ' said that they would have won lemans that year if they had had the 7 litre engine developed in the Mirage and not the Ford MKII & MKIV.

Regards Allan

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
Afternoon all
Haven't Scaley done this one in the past. I have a clamshell type body at home that looks a lot like that car. I think it was a companion car to the P3 they did.
When I saw the title of this post I thought it was the Weslake powered Mirage you were going to do. That would be a nice one!
Cheers LB

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Lenny - I took this photo of the Mirage at Brands Hatch years ago.

David

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Yep, scaley did it and at least some (if not all) were made in Russia. There is another thread here on it somewhere but I failed to find it so far.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (lenny broke @ 8 Jan 2005, 01:52)Afternoon all
Haven't Scaley done this one in the past. I have a clamshell type body at home that looks a lot like that car. I think it was a companion car to the P3 they did.
When I saw the title of this post I thought it was the Weslake powered Mirage you were going to do. That would be a nice one!
Cheers LB
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they did a Mirage M1 1967 in a horrible dark green and a lighter blue. I think the moulds went to Russia and cars were produced under ther banner Novo. The Ferrari scalextric produced was a 330P4 (1967)!!! (not the 330P3 1966 that's the new one)

David your picture is of the Mirage BRM ( I think its the M2)

Regards Allan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone!

The old Scaley one is too far beyond the pale for me. I've wasted so much time trying to make their old P4 with its horrible old wash basin plastic look right, I though starting from scratch would be a better idea!
The Lancer one looked great though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi guys, especially soul buddy Howmet.
I raced a Lancer bodied 1/24 Mirage back in the 60s without knowing any of the history of it. Cool car.
Looking at the pictures here the thought struck me that if JWA had refined the nose and tail a bit, and the rule changes not been quite as limiting, that there might have been a Ford that could have held it's own against the coming 917s.
Ahhh, another 'what if ...'!
Regards,
Lowrider.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ford GT40 P1075 held it's own against the 917 by beating them at Lemans in 1969!!

John Wyer stated that had they developed the Mirage M1 with a 7 litre engine it would of won Lemans!!

Regards Allan

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi Allan.
I think the 1969 result at Le Mans owed as much to luck as to skill. The Ferrari's first lap accidents and the falling apart of the Porsche challenge, the latter comparable to Ford's 65 debacle.
I meant that the Ford/Mirage cars could have been contenders into the 70s with some weight loss and some aerodynamic sophistication.
Regards,
Lowrider.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I still think that Lemans is won by reliablity and not speed alone. The 917 was a handfull at the time and I do not think 'they' should of let John Wolfe race it.

It was only reliabilty that let P1075 win over it's sister car (P1076 Muir/Oliver) in 1968.

As for the Mirage M1 it was never produced in sufficent numbers to classify in Group 4. Because of that it was not regarded by the authorities as a Ford and the points from the Spa win were not counted as Fords'. Besides Ford wanted an American car to win Lemans OK it had a New Zealand crew but P1046 was nearer to the Ford policy than an English variant of the GT40! Besides it got points for Ford in the Manufacturers Championship. The Mirage could only succeed with a 427 engine and the full backing of Ford; not going to happen.
Ford got it's wish in 1967 an all American effort; Dan Gurney and A J Foyt in the all American MKIV/J5 that won Lemans.

Regards Allan

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
These are not the best plans, but all I have:-

For all the M1 photos you could hope for, click here.

What happened to the AVS Shadow poject, Howmet? I was really looking forward to that one!

Kind regards

Russell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts