SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a nice little package from Rail Racer the other day. There were some tasty items bubble wrapped for longer lasting freshness...

It is a lovely resin cast Cunningham C4R which another friend of Rail's in the U.S. made, I believe. Check with the man himself for details...Chuck Lawrence, aka 'Noisy Muse'
Having seen the real beast in action at the LeMans Classic earlier this year, I'm raring to go on this one. Rail wants an authentic retro-rocker, a slot version of the rail car featured in his book, Built With Passion (p.18).
The body comes with lots of goodies, including white metal exhausts and lovely mirrored headlight lenses.
Also check out the beautiful vintage MRRC bevel gear which Rail included. You can guess which way this one's going....

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
There was more in Rail's party pack. Feast your ocular organs on this...

Yessirree folks, a gen-u-ine mint-in-box Pittmann. Personally, I havn't laid my paws on one of these for about thnufty-nuff years. I peeled open that box and time-travelled. Lovely. That nice old fusty cardboard smell, and the cold feel of the steel frame in my shaking hands- a real piece of vintage model engineering. Heady fuel for middle-aged slot freak.
Anyways. The project is to fit this into the Cunningham.
A few problems immediately present themselves. The brushgear of the motor sit above the commutator, rather than to the side, as in the old Tri-ang units. This will intrude into the cockpit, but I have a Cunningham plan...
The other wee difficulty is that the axle bearings are 1/8"- as is the lovely old MRRC bevel gear Rail sent. BWA have, as yet, no suitable wheels for this, so I had to scrape around in my old bits box. Al Penrose suggested that I shim down the bearings with 1/8" O.D. tube, but in the end I found some old Monogram wheels which seem appropriate for the Retro style of the car.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Hi Howmet,

I've got one of these to do as well, unfortunatly the EJ Hobby's chassis is a little too long to fit this car, even with a trailing guide, so a scratchbuilt it has to be.

Incidently "Noisy Muse" is Scott Smith, Chuck is his partner in crime.

Regards

Alan

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Howmet

Foe 1/8" axles and wheels try Patto's pace, , E.J hobby's and Dr. P's Palace of joy Electric Dreams. You really should use threaded axles....LOL.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rail's request specified a steering front end, which suits me fine. Having assayed the 'caster' steering principle, borrowed from Al 'BWA' Penrose, on my M7A and been well pleased with the results, I've got a refined version worked out for this one. It also helps the problem of the very short nose of the C4R- I hate having the guide projecting beyond the body of the car, and I also dislike trailing guides.
Looking at the motor, there are two screws in the pole pieces which provide chassis mounting points, and I thought I'd exploit these to make a hinged chassis, in the manner of the old magnesium Dynamic frame- something I always lusted after as a youth but could never afford. Anyway, the basis of the chassis is a simple brass plate, 0.5mm thick and 40x74mm. Then I fretsawed a slot 39mm long down the centre, drilled 1mm hole at the end, and continued the saw cut to make a T-shape 20mm wide. Like so;

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, BJ. But bits-box wheels are cheaper- it's only for Rail anyway, and he'll never know. And they ARE threaded, for absolute authenticity.

Anyway, the next step is bending up the sides of the chassis, which is done in a metal vice with padded jaws, a block of wood cut to the appropriate size and with right-angled edges, and my tool of choice, a nice big hammer. (with a plastic head, unfortunately). After a lot of cussing, you get this, ready for tuning...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dremelled (is that a proper word?) away the sides a little to accomodate the Pittman's axle bracket, and now the motor slides into place like so;

All I have to do now is drill through to the screw holes in the motor's pole pieces, and we're away.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a marshall's eye view;

Old threaded Mongram wheels lock-nutted onto authentic 1/8" axle, and MRRC bevel gear temporarily in place! Ortmanns hopefully on their way, to replace the authentic but rather crusty tyres.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Offering up the chassis to the shell at this stage shows up the cockpit clearance problem. But don't worry, Rail. I have a Cunningham plan....

More on this when the next reel of film comes back from Snappy Snaps. Still can't wrench the digital out of the family's collective fingers.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE The other wee difficulty is that the axle bearings are 1/8"- as is the lovely old MRRC bevel gear Rail sent. BWA have, as yet, no suitable wheels for this, so I had to scrape around in my old bits box. Al Penrose suggested that I shim down the bearings with 1/8" O.D. tube, but in the end I found some old Monogram wheels which seem appropriate for the Retro style of the car.
Very happy to relate that BWA wheels will soon come in 32 flavours.Well,not quite 32,but,they will be available for 1/16 Bore(no setscrew,good for free wheeling fronts),1/8 Bore,and even Threaded 5-40 as well as the allready famous 3/32 axle sizes.

We are running these next week,and they should be available very soon.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Al- I'll be after some of those pin-wheel fronts very soon.
How are the inserts coming? The C4R looks awful naked just now.

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE The other wee difficulty is that the axle bearings are 1/8"- as is the lovely old MRRC bevel gear Rail sent. BWA have, as yet, no suitable wheels for this, so I had to scrape around in my old bits box. Al Penrose suggested that I shim down the bearings with 1/8" O.D. tube, but in the end I found some old Monogram wheels which seem appropriate for the Retro style of the car.

It is very easy to press out the 1/8" bearings and replace them with 3/32" - most have the same O.D. - I have done this on all the 196's that I have used.

EM

G

·
Now the MRRC gear was originally fitted to the Australian built Bugatti on page 33 in the book, but was changed in Australia as it did not clear the rail this why it's for a 1/8" axle. The Pittman motor also came from Australia.

RR

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Howmet
It's looking good!
Don't think the gear is Mrrc as all the Mrrc bevel gears i have seen are for 3/32 axle's. I think it's probably an Atlas [i think!
] bevel gear which were made for 1/8 [and possibly 3/32] axle's and which were supplied with a set screw bevel pinion, they also as far as i know mesh ok with Mrrc bevel pinions.
[oneofwos]

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I have a Cunningham plan....

And I know you will make it work!
Beware though... some cunning hams are just very smart pigs!

Looking forward to the progress on this one, Howmet!

PS - No, I'm not
going to mention drooling over the
in-the-box Pittman
motor....

1 - 20 of 79 Posts