SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi campers!

After Mrs Howmet's grand roast lunch yesterday, I have several drums of lumpy gravy to give away to the winners of this little quiz....
What was, is, and will this be? (Clue- it's 1/32)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Oi howmet, have you nicked my avatar there? I can't believe your UNMITIGATED AUDACITY - is this how you get your CHEAP THRILLS?

Congrats Russell - looks like you've won the LUMPY GRAVY this time

Maybe I'll get a runners up prize for throwing in a couple of extra Zappa-risms though
Perhaps Mrs Howmet has enough RARE MEAT left over from yesterdays roast lunch for a BURNT WEENIE SANDWICH

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gaaah!
I'm making these too easy. How do you want your gravy, Russell? It's fairly solid at the moment, but half an hour in the microwave should get it flowing again. Mind, you'll have to get it out of those oil drums first.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, JP- that's not mine. But I wish it was. How did you do it, Russell? C'mon you dog, give us the lowdown. David Lawson told me there was a nostalgia shell available...is that it?
Looks wonderful. As usual. And I bet it has a gleaming flawless flux-free chassis underneath it, don't it?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I wish that I could say that it's mine, but it's the beautiful workmanship of Marty Ruiz. It's 1/25th scale, based on a MPC static kit, I believe.

For more pictures, click here.

AMT are bringing out a limited issue of this version, the Howmet TX Mk II "Can Am". Unfortunately, it's also 1/25th scale:-

I love the turbine engined cars of the late 60s!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never came across that CanAm Howmet before someone kindly posted it the other day. Did it actually run?
Fascinating.
But I'm with you on those turbines. They're a gas. Still waiting for Maxi-Model's Silent Sam......

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Here's a shot of the Nostalgia Howmet shell, it's not too clear but it will give you an idea. It needs the usual clean up typical of this range but I'm sure Howmet having seen the work you did on that Lotus 40 you would produce a nice slot car from this.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
David, there are some stunning 1:1 motor racing photographs in your Star Boulevard link. Did you take them?

Wow!

Kind regards

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Howmet

Re the Howmet TX Mark II. Ray Heppenstall rebuilt the TX that had been rolled at Le Mans with open bodywork, and called it the TX Mk II. In August 1970 it set six FIA speed records for turbine cars on a stretch of road adjacent to the Talladega Speedway in Alabama. This is the only photo of the car that I've been able to find:-

Oh, by the way, the ex-Dr Dick Thompson/Ed Lowther/Ray Heppenstall/Hugh Dibley/etc., 1968 Howmet chassis number 02 is presently up for auction, if you are interested. It's expected to fetch around $390,000 - $440,000. For details, see here.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Motor racing photography is a passion of mine and possibly takes as much of my time as model-making.

I have thousands of my photos from the last 35 years stored in a superb "retrieval system" called piles of boxes in various cupboards around the house and "indexed" by a method known as my dodgy memory. Whenever I need a particular photo or negative it requires an hour or two search through all this lovely nostalgic stuff - a good excuse for some motor racing quality time.

Thanks for the nice comments on the pictures

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that, Russell. I never knew that car existed, and looks like it would make an interesting conversion...
I will definitely be putting in a bid for the 1968 LeMans car- thanks for that tip, too. I can raise the money easily just by cancelling my subscriptions for new Fly limited edition box sets. Can't wait to pick up the kids from school with it. Perhaps I can fry a few SUVs with the tailpipes on my way home.
Ever thought of publishing a book, David?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Howmet - I could publish my version of a Rainer Schlegelmilch volume with special slightly out of focus photographs!!

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perfect for my slightly out-of-focus eyes. Keep them coming there David. Especially liked the Monogram Lotus 33 you sent! After scooping me out of the chair with a soup spoon, Mrs Howmet still wondering how she could have a similar effect on me these days.
On a slightly different tack... I assume you get window glass with that Howmet shell????

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Yes it has a vac form screen and basic driver figure.

David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts