SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got an old style chassis fw20 i fitted a new magnet and it runs good. however... would it run a lot better on my home track if i stick a 26k v12 in it and stick an 8 tooth pinion on it? im aiming for acelleration, as the top speed isnt that important on my home track.. how good would it be? after the disaterous thing that is my single seater....... im asking first

·
Registered
289 Posts
CC, I like your quote but it's not quite accurate in my humble opinion.

Here's a paste from a post I made in "Racing & Tuning":

"One further point: the goal is not to get the motor to run "at max revs possible," but to gear to achieve the lowest lap times.

And even that is not the ultimate goal, which is to make more laps during the heat or race than the competition. I frequently admonish other racers that they should not get too "psyched out" when another racer turns faster laps during practice, as first place is awarded to the racer who makes the most laps, not the racer who turns the fastest lap. I think a lot of slot racers don't fully understand the ramifications of this.

To put it another way, pure speed is not the sole objective in road racing. You need the best combination of speed, handling, and "staying-in-the slot" to be the guy who takes the checkered flag."

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (compound_goose @ 6 May 2004, 18:40)after the disaterous thing that is my single seater....... im asking first

Ha ha I remember you saying this about your single seater:

QUOTE personalyy i dont care if u all think its a piece of crap , i like it and its my car so ha!

Fool

·
Registered
458 Posts
i think the most important thing is learning to drive with other cars on the circuit, i used to pull a 4 sec in practice on my home circuit, but if i do that racing, i de slot instantly due to the concentrating on the other car. i find that watching people who drive alone most of the time, with no competition can beat my lap times in practice on their tracks but when racing they get over excited and will be constantly pushing the car even when they are ahead, resulting ina deslot and loosing the race, whereas once you are ahed you dont need to push the car to its limits, you only need to keep enough speed to stay ahead, not keep pulling away thus you dont deslot, also theres the when racing alone you dont learn about overtaking points e.g on my home track people try and get ahead on the strait. they fly into the skirting board. ok enough of this long winded [email protected] what im trying to say is that its more important to be able to drive with other cars on the track then to be able to get super fast practice times.
not sure if this'll make sense to u all but its here now........

about the single seat, it got annoying to drive, so its only for drag racing now i de magged it apart from the thin bar

·
Registered
714 Posts
There is something to be said for various points of view.

The car does need to be powered and geared close to ideally for a given circuit.

Certainly, someone who can't handle traffic will have a hard time on a busy track, even if he holds the solo lap record.

On the other hand, iron nerve and eagle eyes won't, alone, be enough if the requisite practice and experience has not also been gained.

Winners need a good mixture of characteristics and experience, together with a car that is suited to the circuit - just one of these will rarely be the first past the post.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The one who finishes first is first! Meco is right, there are loads of styles but quick is quick in any language!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have decided to pull the sc07 out of the single seat stick it in the fw20 with a 8 tooth pinion and a 30tooth crown slotit axel kit, this should give me masses of acelleration and be able to pull the magnet also the top speed would still be above stock on a home circuit.
should be a good car

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i tested it yesterday with 9/27 gearing and it shattered my track record from 4 sec to 2.6 it still appears to need a more torque gear ratio as the mag is still causing a lot of drag

also it says fw20 on the chassis but we worked out that it is actually an fw22

1 - 9 of 9 Posts