SlotForum banner

Hurricane in a lightweight

10K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  Schackel 
#1 ·
What do you get when you ask Colin Chapman to put a 5 liter V8 into a 1.5L chassis (in 1/32 scale of course)?

This:

Who made it? Hurricane motor by Pioneer (release date TBD), Custom composite Chassis by Ken W.

Who has it? Me

What do I do now? Well, to paraphrase Roy Scheider in Jaws, "I think I need a bigger track".

Cheers,

Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
QUOTE (Datto @ 27 Oct 2011, 19:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A pretzel, probably

What's the gear ratio?

The gear ratio is 8/28 and it still is quite fast for a home track, if you had a longer stretch you could gear it much higher like 9 or 10/24, it has plenty of torque.

Did you ever finish the Nuvolari driver figure, I have a couple of seats for him to fill in an Auto Union and a much modified Mac P Alfa 12C36?

Regards

Ken

#4 ·
That is a really nicely built chassis, Mark.

I've been trying to buy some of these Pioneer Hurricane 030 motors and have sent a few e-mail's and PM's to Jules at Pioneer to try to find out who stocks them. Unfortunately, I've not had any response.

I guess Pioneer's customer service is not their strongest point!

With kind regards,

Russell

#6 ·
I think you will find they have not yet been released for sale. And Mark has shown a test subject.

Electric Dreams and Inaslot will both be stocking them. Other retailers are yet to be confirmed.

Embs

#7 ·
Mark,

That looks like a Pioneer 'beardog' sized motor, ranch design gears and BWA wheels. Just all the stuff I can't get my grubby little paws on. I am Soooo jealous because I have builds riding on all these components! Should I emigrate? Will they give me a green card? Perhaps I should have a word with myself.

Dio

#9 ·
Dio,

Finding BWA wheels can be somewhat of a challenge these days regardless of location, especially in 13" size. Embs was correct, the Pioneer Hurricane FF 030 motor has not been released yet; I was fortunate to receive a sample. I expect the Hurricane will sell like hotcakes once in production. As far as RD gears, I'll have a word with Steve.

Datto,

It's not a pretzel yet; Ken's chassis are as light and pretty as Chapman's but a whole lot stronger.

Cheers,

Mark

#11 ·
Mark,

I already have an order in with Steve (under my real name) and I am aware that BWA has ceased production leaving a large hole in the market for wheels. I can't wait to get my hands on the Hurricane but - softly, softly as they say. Nice to hear from Embs and others that they will be in stock sometime soon. Christmas maybe? Starts filling out wish list.....

Cheers

Dio

#13 ·
QUOTE (RichD @ 28 Oct 2011, 09:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slot Car Corner now has a line of wheels that are designed to take inserts, they are available in 7X15, 8X15, 11X15 and 12X15mm sizes and are a hubless type.

Rick, that is great that the wheels are available from SCC but who has the wheel inserts that these guys are interested in? Like Lotus Wobbley, Dunlop types in the many varieties, BRM, Cooper, Porsche or any of the other styles from the 60's or earlier. I am machining a set of those wheels to take Penelope Pitlane photo etched wire inserts. The reason BWA wheels were so popular is that they were backed up by the large number of different inserts available for them. Don't get me wrong I like the wheels but they are missing the other half of the equation.

Regards

Ken

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
In addition to the already referenced smaller aluminum gears, Ranch Design has a variety of .375 inserts. I'm not sure about the rules regarding links, so I won't add one.

You'll find the site and the products if you do a search with "Ranch Design" and "Slot cars".

Ranch Design also has 13" and 15" wheels.

I am using RD 13" wheels and inserts on several of my 1.5L cars.

Cheers,

Mark

#15 ·
Dear all,

I am considerably cheered by all your news as I am trying to edit the village magazine at the moment which is a difficult task since copy from contributors is always late and 'editing' mostly consists of chasing people (my barrel now has modern communications installed). I have not noticed these 13" sized wheels from RD but will look more carefully. RD were out of stock on gears when I last approached them. RSS Slot Racing in the UK has both 15 and 13 wheels but are similar to the PP range which have bigish bosses. However, they do wheel inserts which cover the range mentioned. I shall also have a gander at the Slot Car Corner site, so thanks for your contributions fellow philosophers.

Cheers

Dio

#16 ·
Hi Mark
Am i to tAke it that this hurricane motor is more powerful than a Beardog motor the same size
The beardog motor was a great size for building concours cars but was a bit short of grunt !

Cheers tony

#17 ·
QUOTE (superhornets @ 28 Oct 2011, 13:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mark
Am i to tAke it that this hurricane motor is more powerful than a Beardog motor the same size
The beardog motor was a great size for building concours cars but was a bit short of grunt !

Cheers tony

Hi Tony

I built the chassis to do testing to see if the Pioneer FF-030 motor would be a viable motor for the VRAA proxy race in the states. I had read that it had over 4 watts of power and some incredible magnets. Well they were right about the magnets with them being neodym and having a magnetic field large enough to generate down force on a plastic track from 3mm.
With the amount of torque available you should be able to carry a much higher gear ratio and still have great brakes. The Pioneer motor had more brakes with the red wire disconnected than the other FF-030 and FF-050 motors had with the brakes on full. If you are looking for a bit more grunt this may be the motor you want. It does have a different mounting hole arrangement and needs smaller screws to attach it. I had to tap the can for 1/72 thread screws when I built it.

Regards Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.