Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread it was brought up the Slot Car Corner in the States sell what they call a CBD insert wheel. The wheels are made to fit the inserts from the 15mm Slot It wheels. It does not do many of us scratchbuilders any good to have modern wheel inserts when we build vintage cars to race. I am working on a project that needs a hubless wire wheel for a narrow tire. Well since BWA is now Best Wheels unAvailable I had to get creative. I had a set of four of the CBD 15x7 insert wheels and looked at them next to a set of Penelope Pitlane wheels and found that there was enough material in the insert wheel that could be removed to accept the Penelope Pitlane photo etched wire wheel insert. So off to the lathe I went and made up a wheel that would take the narrow rear Scaley tires from a Vanwall and use them as the tall front tire for my Alfa. I turned the rib down to match the width of the Scaley rib, the area left over not covered by the tire got some ribs machined into it and the back of the wheel got a depression machined into it to make it look like a backing plate and the outer edge looks like a drum setting proud of the backing plate. The drum decal is a real trick to get in place but helps with that added bit of detail. Take a look at the face of the wheel.

I know that they are not the quality of a Peter Sussex wheel but they are in my budget and work nicely for what I want them for.

And the back detail.

Cheers Ken

·
re member
4,016 Posts
That is clever,Ken.

I like them.

I have been cutting down Ninco 17 and 18 inch rims and then putting a plastic insert into them.
The main problem is the very unrealistic inside face.

You could market those for sure.

regards

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Munter, I have a feeling I will be making a bunch of them up. Matt B and I just ordered some of the George Turner resin GP car kits that could use wheels like that. Once Matt sees them in person next Saturday he will want a few sets.

Cheers Ken

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Nice job.

Got your present. Have to do a little maintenance on the Die stamp, but, should be able to start stamping those bits for you in a couple of days.

BWuA

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Ken,

A nice solution for your wheels. Thanks for chairing it with us
. Do you have a Internet address where they sell the CBD inserts?

I found 17" inserts, with one of the Forum sponsors (Aloy) in Spain, that are also very interesting to build vintage rims (link).
An other problem, I think, are the rubber tyres. With some Matchbox plastic models, you get these lovely thin rubber tyres that could also be useful for a lot of other models. I found somebody here on the forum who can cast these rubber tyres, and duplicate them in urethane rubber. I've send him a set, and I'm waiting now for the result. As soon as I get the result back, I'll make a small report. Should the copy's work out fine, It gives even more opportunity to cast from hard plastic tyre into nice urethane rubber tyres.

Of course with these urethane rubber tyres, you've got to adapt the rims, or even better, make new ones on a lathe.
What's also nice is the use of Ball bearings into you front rims, especially if you have a banded front axle that can be seen in a lot of vintage models, like I did with the Bugatti.

From here on, you can make it even more interesting in combining this technique, with the one from Conti rowland (Andi),that he showed us in his topic "Vanwall with a difference" (link). Where the front wheels follow the slot

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and thank you for your gracious comments.

Danny

To find the wheels type in Slot Car Corner in your search engine, now for the bad news the 15x7 insert wheels are out of stock. I did follow your link and found a new place to export my funds to. Thank you.

Andy

I had a friend with a decal program and a good printer make the decals that I designed for Penelope Pitlane wheels. Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a sample.

Regards Ken

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Hi Ken.

I did look into this, but like so many other jobs it had been sidelined to concentrate on more important projects.

Below is one of a set I made.

Hopefully the inner wheel arch can be discerned through the wheel, which relies totally on the spokes for strength. The spokes are in stainless steel and are under tension.

With a few projects cleared over the winter, my hope is to finalise the design for some models in progress which need such parts.

I have already looked into brake drums and have gone for etched parts. Ok if you are having etching done anyway, not not practical otherwise.

The image below of the Austin has such parts.

Peter

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Peter

My goal was to come up with a decent hubless wire wheel with off the shelf parts that could be made without too much effort. I do not have the resources of someone that can do the etching for me so I have to use what I can find. I do have some photo etched wire inserts that I got from you some time ago when you first started making wire wheels that I will find a wheel to fit. Keep up the good work and keep me inspired.

Regards Ken

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
re: With some Matchbox plastic models, you get these lovely thin rubber tyres that could also be useful for a lot of other models... Should the copy's work out fine, It gives even more opportunity to cast from hard plastic tyre into nice urethane rubber tyres."

hi, Danny
Just so you know, I've been casting those Matchbox tires you mention for years. They work excellently...which is to say the hard Matchbox tires make great masters for the mold, and the urethane tires that you end up with work quite satisfactorily. Now, having said that, let me encourage you to starting molding your own....it's surprisingly easy and economical, and as you suggested, adds enormous versatility to your kitbashing/scratchbuilding options. Let me know if you have questions about this...

best regards,
John

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply and the support to go further by casting tyres from plastic kits into urethane rubber tyres. I'm sure going to come back at your offer, to help me cast urethane rubber tyres in the future. But this will probably be by next Year, at the moment I've got so many project lying ready to be assembled that I've got my hands full to get it all done for this season.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Gentlemen,

Very inspiring!! Thanks for all of the pictures and ideas. There is nothing like a good (wire) wheel to make a car look great!!

all my very best,

Charles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts