SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since some readers may be missing out on this "Frankinstien" experiment in the digital section, I thought I might post a link here. I'm presently,building my tables and laying out my plastic, drawing out routed track sections and am hoping to start routing soon.
The biggest benefit, if this is sucessful, is the diversity that a well layed out track could produce. One, could in theory, have an analogue 3 laner for 1/32, a digital 3 lane 1/32, and a analogue/digital 2 lane for 1/24 depending on wiring of the track.

If this isn't your "cup of tea", I hope you'll atleast enjoy this build as it progresses,
thanks, Gord
Hybrid Thread

·
Registered
287 Posts
Made some progress last couple weeks! All routing is done, L/C's are in place, and painting has started

A shot of L/C, would have been alot easier to cut off the connector tabs and dropped in whole track section

The teams out for test day

Another look down the pitlane

Maserati trying the low side against the C-9's

A C-9 and a March charge the infield

WHOA!! The Jag's trying a bold move on the Nissan and Porche

Over view of 3/4's of the track, last table is standing up out of view to the left

Should get last bit of painting done this weekend and hopefully taping started, then the chore of wiring in the Blackbox and analogue controller stations

Later, Gord

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
excellent, I like it

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Rob,

Heh, my wood working skills are not that great either
I mostly learn't as I went. I followed a few treads here and at SCI and picked up alot of info that helped. The biggest hurdle was trying to remember the direction to move the router

This has been mostly a learning experience for me and want to use it for a larger (more track, roughly the same table size...6x18") when N-digi becomes availiable.

I would suggest trying to build a small/test routed track to anyone! As Old Slotracer says," you can't stop at one"

Gord

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Saturday I taped and wired 2 tables and started playing with a 9 volt. Everything was good exept one crossed wire
The cars ran smooth through the L/C's (manually set) and the rest of the 2 sections or as well as you can get with a battery

Went out to the shop after work and put the last coat on the last 2 tables and should be finishing the taping and wiring this afternoon hopefully( low on copper tape) I'll try to post some more pic's also.

Gord

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No pics yet, but I did finish taping this morning! I'm hoping to get back out there this afternoon before work to work onthe wiring so I'll try to take the camera outside with me!

Gord

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, heres some up date picks;

First is an under side shot of the table that has the oval to infield transition

Hers the underside of the first tables that have wiring done

Top of transition table taped

Last table that been in hiding last couple updates

Should have wiring completed after work, except for trailer plugs to conect last 2 tables.

More later, Gord

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, I'm back with another update. Wiring is 80% done, I just need to get switches to tie the digital and analogue together.

I also started with some scenery. It's not coming out the best(grass is being a pain), but doesn't look too bad for a first timer. I painted in the rumble strips and used 1/8" pinstriping for the road edges.

I also rigged up a cheap Tyco HO train powersupply and SCX controller to do some runs with my Slot.its.
I did a video of my R390 doing a few laps. Excuse the shake footage it's hard to film and drive

The Nissan has P-4's on the back and seems to have decent grip on both the Carrera and latex paint.
I should be finnished the grass shortly, will also airbrush in some patching,and the racing line.

Thanks for looking and enjoy,

Gord

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you G,
I have seen some of your work around the Forum andhave to send the same back to you!
Now I need to finish the turf and do a pit building as half as good as Brad K's or Taxi's and I'll be happy with this build!
When I finally get it to the 90% finished range, I have a bunch of friends that are looking forard to a 12hr endurance race with the Pro-X DTMs!!

Gord

·
Registered
881 Posts
Could we get some details on how you did your wood lane change sections? Awesome looking track! I too have a Pro-X track and was recently thinking of building a little routed track, but this has opened my eyes to new possibilities!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi h00ch,
When I did the L/C sections I hacked out a 4x6" section of the track(after removing the electronics), cut a hole 3x6" in the wood, with a routed lip to recess the track piece. I then used a 1/8" strip of plexi to line up the slots and used small flat head screws to secure the track section. I taped over the rails and used Bondo to fill the gaps and cover the track section. Lastly I routed the cross over slot to the next lane, I placed the bit into the slot of the l/c and used a flexable strip to curve it into the corner.

I think the best way though, would to use 1/2" mdf and the first half of the L/C track. Route a recess , 8mm I think, roughly the size of a full straight. Remove the connector tabs and place the whole piece in. Then finish off the same as before.

With the hack job I had to make my own hole for the IR bulb and solder extensions onto the power leads, which was a pain in the ***!

The only thing with either method is you wil have to feed power to the curcuit board, simply make extensions from each L/C and tie them all to one spot. Since I'm running analogue too, I'll get power from the Blackbox and not the copper tape.

Hope this helps, and I can get some picks of how it's wired so far if you'd like,

Gord

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
QUOTE (Newbie1/32 @ 31 May 2006, 13:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, heres some up date picks;

First is an under side shot of the table that has the oval to infield transition

Hers the underside of the first tables that have wiring done

Top of transition table taped

Last table that been in hiding last couple updates

Should have wiring completed after work, except for trailer plugs to conect last 2 tables.

More later, Gord

Just checking out some layouts and came across your hybrid.
What caught my eye was your reference to trailer plugs.
I am building several tables to be detachable and wondered how you used trailer plugs to connect the power.
Any pics or tips?
Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Nice work, and the adapted pieces to choose the infield route look very profesional

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.