SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Japanese GT series, which has had various names over the years always provides some interesting cars. The kind of funky fantasy you don't generally see outside of Japan. The HKS CLK is one such oddity.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Making the DTM car look rather tame, this unholy colourful creation has long been something I fancied tackling in 1:32 scale. Who'd be mad enough!

I'd purchased a donor at SlotFest a few years ago, another car for the 'one day it'll be a project' pile. It was a Ninco CLK DTM, as I was originally mistaken that this car was built from a DTM chassis. Not the case, but still close enough. Kind of. Not really.

When lockdown began in 2020 I felt like this might be a good project. Ha! It'd take more than a re-spray and a JGTC wing to make this car look any good..
Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Car Communication Device

And yeah. About that paint job. How in the hell was I meant to tackle that. It looks like it crashed into a Dulux wagon on the way to the circuit.

Thankfully, the "HKS streak" is actually a repeating pattern. It's just so insane that its not immediately obvious. When I found this out doing some research, I knew the project was a goer. So, I began.

Rectangle Aircraft Font Aviation Output device

Rectangle Automotive design Car Automotive lighting Creative arts

Textile Font Rectangle Art Creative arts

And thanks to Wraith, my decal sheet arrived.
Tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Yes, that is an entire sheet of A4. But before the decals, comes the paint. And before the paint, comes the bodywork. As I have mentioned, the bodywork really is nothing at all like the DTM car, so lets get to work. Dremel, Plasticard, and filler became the order of the day in getting the Benz Japanified.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Decided on a red primer. It stinks. Won't do that again.

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Toy

Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire

Back to black, and now we're talking. Only 14 hours of decals to go!

·
Gary Skipp
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Baby steps. One colour, one side. Then breathe.
Automotive design Wood Floor Flooring Hood

Purple next.
Cutting mat Hood Textile Flooring Automotive design

Let's add a little pink.
Hood Textile Motor vehicle Red Flooring

And now, to make it a race car, some numbers. HKS cars tend to run the 87.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Food

I wasn't joking about the 14 hours. It might seem like I was, but that's really what it took. HKS cars look amazing, but I really think this will be my only one. I'd like to do the Vectra from the JTCC.. but. nah. Sorry, Anthony Reid.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I prepped the glass, blacked the rear windows, and just left it. It's been in a box in this state for a whole year. I got to a point during the lockdown where I'd done so much slot stuff I just.. couldn't be bothered.

I think seeing Grunz's cars motivated me to share this. I don't usually like sharing stuff that isn't complete, but hey, what's another year in box at this point!

Please send help.

·
Gary Skipp
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not whole lot, attach the spoiler, fit the interior, window decals, and then the mechanicals and wheel inserts. I've got a lexan DTM interior which will probably go in because the Ninco one is.. ehhh not that great. Or light. Interestingly this thing came with an NC3, a rare motor indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Love the Merc, you've showed it to me before on FaceTime or something. Nice decal job and design...but as you admitted...not really that insane. Does deserves to be finished though.

As for your self proclaimed insanity....not this full decal job...but deciding to organise a digital 24hrs race recreating the La Sarthe track 1/32...and sticking with it for a decade...yes that is insane.

But then again...very happy that you still are 😇

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
187 Posts
"I am insane."

Well, you're a slotter, so insane sort of goes with the territory.

:ROFLMAO:

erdnA

BTW: Excellent job on a very challenging project!

·
ParrotGod
8,399 Posts
Nice one Gary. I have seen some in-progress pics of the decal sheet.
I find that the finishing details are the ones that take most of the time. Also I think there is always pressure to jump on a new more exciting project.
See, this is not patience, it is insanity ;p

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I’m just astonished by that decal job. Not something I would have tried, but your craftsmanship is outstanding!

You’re not at all the only one to get to the ‘can’t be bothered’ state during our awful lockdowns, but you’ve created something exceptional here which deserves to be finished.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts