SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started so innocently, here.

After much bullying and shouting, well you can see it for yourselves in that thread, I caved in and got a multimeter doo-dah device and set about my Spanish cans.

Trouble is, I kept getting the same reading for all my motors (okay, just the first three I tested) and I began to think I had been tucked up like a kipper by messrs Fergy and Co.

I was downcast.

Then I tested the motor in me new Astra, a car I knew to be quick, and lo, a low reading. I noted it down.

Then I tested the motor in me new Porsche, a car I hadn't driven at all, only having taken delivery from the Ebay seller a day or two prior. And lo, an even lower reading.

I was excited.

A chance to test Fergy's words of wisdom - the lower the reading, the bigger the draw, the faster the motor (that's right ain't it?).

And lo, the 911 goes like the clappers on heat. (?)

I was pleased.

But how sad am I? I now have to know which of my motors are better than the others. I'm in the middle of pulling out and testing all my SCX cans and dancing with glee when a low number appears on the readout.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Ok, I pulled all my motors (450 odd), numbered and photographed them and they are packeged up and on their way to you for testing...

Let me know when the novelty wears out - OH! and the results too!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
So you're using "current" techniques then Wankel? You didn't put up much "resistance" - I guess the "power" of suggestion got to you. After a "short" time anyway.

I know what you're thinking - "Ohm"igod, I wish he'd stop with the puns!

Whoa!! Wankel! Put those probes down!!

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy cow. If ever I was going to close a thread this would be a prime candidate.

Enough already.

Thanks for the tip though, Fergy.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's great to see the odd technophobe actually getting converted - keep up the good work Fergy, Fate, Grah and several others!

I think a LOT of people get a LOT of really helpful info out of these technical topis but don't always post about it, which the posters might find a little discouraging. So all the better that Wankel made the effort to bring us positive feedback and keep the interest aroused. I've had a meter for ages, at least a couple of years and not done much with it yet, apart from checking out the club track when it is bothersome.
Post like these will eventually spur me on to positive action, I hope.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Good, Tropi, then someone like me can make another silly-ass post!

Seriously, it can be fun to try some of the different things that other people do/try/use/think about, etc. What the heck, it can't hurt, and "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

I haven't met a slot racer yet, however new to the hobby, who didn't either teach me something new, give me a different perspective, or just plain make me think about something. This hobby is huge, in terms of its many facets, and is always evolving. Gotta love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts