SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended my first ever digital race meeting last night at a local track. The track itself was impressively large (lap times around 15secs with a Scalextric F430) with as little as one lane and as many as four. There was a proper pit area, and we had to refuel at appropriate intervals. We ran some saloon cars, F1s, and then did a LeMans endurance race. That was a bit tough, since the middle 5mins was done with the lights off, and I kept losing my black Peugeot under the flyovers. I'm sure I watched the wrong car for about 4 laps

I have to say, it was pretty good fun when we had all six cars going at once. About the only downside to this seems to be the speed at which all the cars can wind up in a big pile around the outside of one bend. It was extremely interesting to be able to change lanes to make a pass and then make it stick around the next couple of bends. And then block again when the guy makes a comeback against you.

Having finally tried this here digital stuff, I can *definitely* see the appeal.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Welcome Welcome Welcome to the world of digital racing.

It's a heady blend of skill and good luck, strategy (refuelling and avoiding queues in the pits) and bravery (heading full tilt towards tight bends at the head of a massive pack and slipping round with last-ditch braking without letting them t-bone you off the track).

We love it. And at last the Super Resistants make sense

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Mind you my converted transits seem to be as robust as the Scaley Super Resistants - I have lost 3 rear light lenses in 3 massive carnage sessions. 6 colour coded Transits on a digital circuit with 2 pits and 4 straight lane changers. You can imaging the madness!

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 6 Jan 2012, 17:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm tempted to go Digital for "Mad Max" racing.

Oh YESSSSSSSSSSS. Now that would be a track video worth watching.

Now I wonder if there's a way to reprogram the brake button to get the chip to activate a pad to supply power to something on the car like a flailing chain or an oil drum release or even a flame thrower?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Stooooo
welcome to the dark side just go and buy yourself a set of 6 colour sr cars great.
are no you cant scaly dont make them so you mite need a £1000 pound to start with
to buy an airbrush, paint all that, then the track ,SSDC.wireless controllers then more cars.
good luck and enjoy ade.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,842 Posts
Having raced on digital a couple of times I take my hat off to all the early adopters and pioneers out there.

I enjoyed the racing and think it has a lot of potential but for me it isn't there yet and having invested some $$ in the early stages of other technology in the past only to see better for less a few years later I am planning on waiting this time around. The new Scalextric PB which allows Digital and Analog is heading in the right direction I also see some impressive things coming out from Carrera.

DM

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (staglinger @ 6 Jan 2012, 20:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Stooooo
welcome to the dark side just go and buy yourself a set of 6 colour sr cars great.
are no you cant scaly dont make them so you mite need a £1000 pound to start with
to buy an airbrush, paint all that, then the track ,SSDC.wireless controllers then more cars.
good luck and enjoy ade.

OR get some approximately matched cars in different colours and buy some printable vinyl for a few quid and do some stick on decals. I bought some and printed up side panels and bonnet decals and roof stripes for my 7 transits (always carry a spare) colour coding sorted for under a tenner and enough vinyl left for another 4 or 5 sets of cars.

You can then spend your cash on SSDC, PitPro with extra sensor, a second large monitor for the race display and a large crate of beer to nobble the competition.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (dangermouse @ 6 Jan 2012, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The new Scalextric PB which allows Digital and Analog is heading in the right direction I also see some impressive things coming out from Carrera.
I've been keeping a close eye on Oxigen/Scorpius for a few months now. While the idea of 20+ cars on track at once seems a bit crazy to me today, the whole wireless angle seems like A Really Good Idea. I know there are other wireless controllers, but these two act as complete systems, and they look to have some very interesting features.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
20 cars on a track IS crazy. However if you have a club with 20 members and run 4-8 car races nobody has to re-ID their car I guess.

20 cars makes sense for special epic events. What is needed is a 4 - 6 lane track with a 2 lane pit. 50 metres or more in length and about 20 lane changers.

Run as an endurance night race.

Anybody know an excessively rich slothead who needs new friends???

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mr M not sure as a digital man I agree. thast 20 cars IS crazy. Actuall its the point of digital. 3 cars per track is the max for home raceing on small tracks (circa 10 to 15 m). It looks resonable to go to 6 per track(lane) on something bigger. The aim I would have thought was in a club of 20, to have at least 15 driving at any one time. My experience (agreed limited to two trips to an analoge club) was that most of your time was spent not driving. At home on digital the reverse is true, the eveing is spent driving.

Track calls would be invokeed and folk kicked off after 3 crashes each race. This is not as savage as it seems as most of the time you would be racing and the burnt hand teaches real fast. I suspect that die hard analouge men are less keen of the full digital squabale. From responces to an earlier thread, there are two schools. Digital fanatics like traffic jams, analouge men often see that as a disadvantage not an advantage and want to minimise traffic jams.

Three is room in the world for both. However a club would need a big gain to invest in an upmarket digital system . Simply driving 8 cars at a time may not justify the expence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts