Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having driven for the past few weeks through the straight Carrera LCs, I am pretty sure I know why we wont see a Scalextric straight LC in the near future.

Even with the gradual 2 pc straight LC, the cars wag their tail pretty far out when taking the crossover at high speed. If the track were any narrower, the outer wheel would slide off the track. I am sure that scalextric track is not wide enough to support a straight lane change taken at high speed.

If one does appear on the market, expect that it will itself be wider, ship with straight borders, or be recommended for use in slower sections. Anyone want to take this bet?

·
Registered
79 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 24 Dec 2004, 16:59)Even with the gradual 2 pc straight LC, the cars wag their tail pretty far out when taking the crossover at high speed. If the track were any narrower, the outer wheel would slide off the track.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I put borders on all corners/turns that may get taken at high speed.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I always thought that the crossovers were a bit short, compared to the Davic system I have used in France. On this the crossovers are nearly 1m in lengh, totally unsuitable for home use though!
Makes you wonder if Hornby have not got it right by putting them on the corners.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Hornby have got it right. Carrera and SCX don't work because the change of direction at highspeed will cause problems, espicially when running without magnets. Davic is the only suitable straight LC but it is also huge and expensive.

By having the LC on a corner, not only does it look a little more realistic (outbraking), but the cars will have slowed down for the corner anyway.

We'll have to see what Ninco brings................

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having tested an import of the Carrera LCs and bought the Scalextric version they both work equally well, but the corner LC's feel more natural because in real racing you do not want to change lanes suddenly at high speed on straights as you will wobble, but in corners you do, to search for the racing line.

I have 4 LC's in a 45 ft (9 metre) home layout and the flow and rythm of the lap with corner lane changing is perfect. No wobble factor.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with Cameron and Darainbow, the scalex curved LCs do look much more realistic. I would still prefer LCs on the straight though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts