SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Yes, after the success* of my other cars, the next one is a 1981(ish) GMC van. Like the '77 Dodge this one is based on a model kit rather than 3D data, but even then it's never simple...

I eventually found a 1:32 kit from an American auction site, there were a few different ones made through the '70s and early '80s but I particularly wanted one without a side window. This one came over eventually and I sent it off to Steve Francis for cleaning up and prep work for moulding.

The custom work is the roof spoiler and special wheel inserts which I made up. As ever, Steve did a fantastic job with the mouldings and he fitted some nice fender skirts so I'll start building one up now.

The tiny front and rear overhang meant my original chassis didn't fit but the new compact chassis does and there was a huge sigh of relief when it worked last week!

The wheel inserts came out very well from a 3D print and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the track. I won't be able to send these abroad because everyone knows BA aint getting on no plane, sucker!

* success? The sarcasm-ometer has just broken in my accountant's office

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Thought I'd post a photo of the original A Team Van to help you with the detailing and overall appearance.
It's a little different to how I remember it as a child but here you go...

Awesome..

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (DJ @ 6 May 2012, 18:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thought I'd post a photo of the original A Team Van to help you with the detailing and overall appearance.
It's a little different to how I remember it as a child but here you go...
A little bit of sick just came up into my mouth

QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 6 May 2012, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the base an ESCI kit ? I have a couple but they have side windows. Linky
I had one similar to that but it's a little smaller and as you say it has the side window. This is a Revell kit, but Steve's fender skirts and front spoiler make it look much better. Bear in mind what passed for taste in the early '80s

This van is 66mm wide compared to 62mm for Starsky's Torino and a svelte 60mm wide for my Dodge Monaco!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (spykerman @ 6 May 2012, 19:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey DJ, that is not the original. Looks more like aan ford transit. The original was a GMC. Btw this one has UK plates...
No flies on you Spykerman, perhaps I should have used the "tongue in cheek" smiley..

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This new chassis is easy to build, it's almost done already, just the guide and wiring left. As well as being wider, this van is of course much taller so my usual body posts don't reach up to inside the bonnet and they certainly don't go up to the roofline in the back. I fabricated some L brackets from leftover plasticard and tried it for size

I need to dig out some more photos of the film van, I'm sure it's higher at the back but I need to see how much. For the moment the L brackets are held in with tape so I can try it and move it easily

The roof spoiler fits nicely so I need to check how far back on the roof it goes

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (spykerman @ 6 May 2012, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey DJ, that is not the original. Looks more like aan ford transit. The original was a GMC. Btw this one has UK plates...

I don't think the joke translated!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used some scrap plasticard to support the resin body posts and after a few attempts I glued them in place

Grey paint on the top half, now to mask it off and do black on the bottom

I've got a spare bodyshell, the first one that came out of the mould wasn't great. Any guesses what I'll paint it up as?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts