SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you like the IROC series?

Either with the current cars (Firebird) or the ones from the past.

I will be asking everyone.

Victor
[link=www.truescaleproducts.com newwindow]truescaleproducts[/link]

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Victor,

I doubt that very many people outside of the USA have actually heard of the IROC series, nor current champion Kurt Busch.

For those that don't know, the International Race of Champions (IROC) series was created in 1973 to attempt to prove who the best driver in the world is. The idea was to take the 12 best drivers from different types of racing and to get them to compete against each other, in identically prepared cars.

The 4-race series tends to mainly have NASCAR drivers. This year's series has 6 NASCAR drivers, 3 IRL drivers, 1 USAC driver and 2 from the World of Outlaws series. All the races are held on NASCAR ovals, during NASCAR race weekends.

Personally, left turn-only racing in identical cars doesn't appeal much to me, nor, dare I say, does the choice of car (Pontiac Firebirds). It's too similar to NASCAR and IRL, which is about as exciting to many foreigners as soccer is to Americans!

If however the series were to go back to its roots and include the likes of Michael Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya, Paul Tracy, Scott Dixon, Sam Hornish Jr., Frank Biela, Bernd Schneider, Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Petter Solberg, Marcus Gronholm, etc., then I'm sure that it would be quite exciting. Originally, the driver line-up included names such as Mark Donohue, Peter Revson, Emerson Fittipaldi, Denny Hulme, Jody Scheckter, Bobby Unser, George Follmer and Ronnie Peterson.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Despite this, I must say that the roadgoing Camaro IROC Z28 from the eighties is an awesome looking machine, much better than the rounded jelly moulded thingies in the picture.

btw seeing as most slot car tracks turn right as well as left, I hope that the 1:32 version's chassis will sit flat rather than left hand down a bit?

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Because of IROC, or more exactly an article on it in my fav magazine when I was young - Speed & Power - I think the 911 Turbo circa 1977 only look "right" painted in primary colours with blacked out headlights.

They used to include European drivers, but haven't for many years. Martin Brundle tells a great story about getting introduced to the Intimidator treatment from Dale Earnhart when he did it in late 80's.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Weird. All those cars appear to have slow punctures in their tyres on the left side.

I could be tempted to purchase a Jag like the one wot raced in Trans Am recently/currently.

Does that race of champions thing still happen in Spain? I think they used dirt buggies and Mitsubishi Lancers last time I saw it on the box.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE Weird. All those cars appear to have slow punctures in their tyres on the left side

I suspect that the tyres are either out of true or rubbing on the bodywork because of the amount of play in the rear axle........

Aaron

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Nice reply Aaron!!
The claws are out!

Here's one person in the UK (me) who would be interested in cars from different US race series. Most of the time, all the UK gets is poxy front wheel drive rubbish. Alright, in the case of Touring cars... QUICK poxy front wheel drive rubbish

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I agree with Matt. The IROC cars (and series) do nothing for me, but a group of Trans-Am series cars would be very nice indeed!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are the slot versions going to be set up the same way. Would not handle very well on most peoples tracks I see on these boards.
Seriously, they will sell in the US but I can't see them selling outside the US. The US is such a big market they may be feasible anyway. I could be wrong though as the Aussie V8's seem to be popular outside of Australia. Good for us Aussies as we may see more detail on the next models.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow that would be quite fascinating if they came out with iroc slotcars. I'd have everyone from Steve Kinser to kurt busch to helio castroneves Wow the mind boggles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts