SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Victor,

I doubt that very many people outside of the USA have actually heard of the IROC series, nor current champion Kurt Busch.

For those that don't know, the International Race of Champions (IROC) series was created in 1973 to attempt to prove who the best driver in the world is. The idea was to take the 12 best drivers from different types of racing and to get them to compete against each other, in identically prepared cars.

The 4-race series tends to mainly have NASCAR drivers. This year's series has 6 NASCAR drivers, 3 IRL drivers, 1 USAC driver and 2 from the World of Outlaws series. All the races are held on NASCAR ovals, during NASCAR race weekends.

Personally, left turn-only racing in identical cars doesn't appeal much to me, nor, dare I say, does the choice of car (Pontiac Firebirds). It's too similar to NASCAR and IRL, which is about as exciting to many foreigners as soccer is to Americans!

If however the series were to go back to its roots and include the likes of Michael Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya, Paul Tracy, Scott Dixon, Sam Hornish Jr., Frank Biela, Bernd Schneider, Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Petter Solberg, Marcus Gronholm, etc., then I'm sure that it would be quite exciting. Originally, the driver line-up included names such as Mark Donohue, Peter Revson, Emerson Fittipaldi, Denny Hulme, Jody Scheckter, Bobby Unser, George Follmer and Ronnie Peterson.

Kind regards,

Russell

1 - 1 of 1 Posts