Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
They may be oversized but one of them and the BRM will find a home here with the rest of the oversized cars they make, to run with each other on Can-Am night here.

Can't fault that, what other cars could run with them class wise, or speed wise.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think it was Prof Fate who said that because of their larger size they are potentially faster than any true 1/32 scale car. Why is that?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The wider a car is, the greater cornering force it can exert (assuming the same Centre of Gravity)

This is why F1 cars were made 20cm narrower in 1998, to reduce cornering speeds.

·
Registered
714 Posts
"Cornering force" is an interesting term.
A wider car is less likely to tip but I'm not convinced that it has any effect on track grip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's fairly simple, though hard to explain without the use of graphics.

simplest way of doing it.

1: Weight Transfer from side-side is bad, as the tyres give most grip when they are evenly loaded. if (for example) a tyre has 120% of it's normal load on it, it won;t give 120% of it's normal friction. this is called Load Sensitivity.

2: Weight transfer in cornering happens because the C of G is above where the tyres contact the road, causing it to roll. (imagine pushing on one end of a pencil)

3: the amount of weight transfer is proportional to the angle between the C of G and the bottom of the tyre. Imagine a lever, going through the contact patch of the tyre and the C of G. The closer the lever is to being flat, the more you're pushing along the lever and the less you're trying to rotate it. so we want to push along the lever (and move the C of G round the corner) as much as mpossible, and not waste force pushing down (for an outside tyre), making the car roll.

4: 2 ways to this- Move the tyres out, or move the C of G closer to the road. from a dynamics point of view, these are the same thing. (actually, there's a third way, If you're only interested in turning left, move the C of G left)

The load sensitivity part probably doesn't really apply to solid slot car tyres- but it's still a noticable effect- try varying axle lengths in an otherwise unchanged car (unmagneted for the most noticable effect) , the wider the axle, the quicker it'll go round bends.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My word is : if the Mirage is out of scale I stop to support that make 'till they make true 1:32 scale models, so that's it for me !

End of the story so far. I'm really angry because it's a clever choice but how can you put a 1:28 scale model next to a 1:32 scale one ! It's non-sense. I get
rid of of all my MG Vanquish cars ...

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
I thought the debate about the need for standards was on another thread :)

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will buy them because they are very nice and well made; instead someone should say to Ninco and Proteus to make smaller boxes for their models : this is a waste of space on my shelf !

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
certainly agree that smaller boxes are my preference!!! though carrera and other large cases look lovely, they take up far to much space

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE though carrera and other large cases look lovely, they take up far to much space

Yeah, the guy at the dump thinks so too

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (fast lucky @ 12 Dec 2003, 08:20 PM)My word is : if the Mirage is out of scale I stop to support that make 'till they make true 1:32 scale models, so that's it for me !

End of the story so far. I'm really angry because it's a clever choice but how can you put a 1:28 scale model next to a 1:32 scale one ! It's non-sense. I get
rid of of all my MG Vanquish cars ...
Hello Lucky, I really understand your anger and I kind of feel the same.
As long as it was CanAm cars we could put them by themself.
And that's what"s leading me to ze question:

Are all your cars on display ? ( it's seem you've at least as many Porsches as I do + all your other cars)
If so, how ? And then could you arrange to have same size cars together.
If not, could you not just pull these oversized cars out of the cubbard together and keep the other ones away?

Do you race your cars ?
What track have you got ?

Just wondering not bothering and after all quit buying MG Vanquish and you'll be able to get yourself a nice digital......camera.

Friendly Froggie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
QUOTE (sprint @ 14 Dec 2003, 10:31 PM)I will buy them because they are very nice and well made; instead someone should say to Ninco and Proteus to make smaller boxes for their models : this is a waste of space on my shelf !
hi, take them out of the box

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Froggie,

(or should I say Frenchie ?
)

Indeed, I bought the CanAm cars because they were in a league of their own, the main problem being Fly's 917 ... Now that's it !

My cars are NOT on display at the moment ! I have something like 900 cars. I plan to buy a window display in the short term but there are a lot of cars coming out at the moment ... including some very expensive sets ...

Do I race my cars ? Not at the moment ... I've just put a Carrera layout using that track for the first time and I've discovered that the clips are really a must ... A bit hard, since I usually make my layout as I go along. I still have my Classic track. I'm still wondering if it will end up in the window display or as a special rally track (but I still resist the temptation to buy rally cars at the moment - aaaaargh !)

BTW, I race my cars but in a gentle way ! I hate damages (and strong magnets) !

Regarding the digital camera, I saw the tests of the latest Canon 300D with some interest but it's the budget for a lot of cars ... Should happen one day ...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The 300D is an excellent camera, especially for someone who already owns a few EOS lenses. My problem is in not knowing which would be a suitable and reasonably priced macro lens for this particular model where the focal length needs to be multiplied by 1.6 for 35mm equivalence.

But yes, equivalent to about thirty to thirty six 'normal price' cars in UK!
I wish that camera had not been mentioned - it's getting me all excited again!
Off topic - forbidden to discuss!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My main problem here is that I have some excellent lenses ... but from Minolta and they don't provide any compatible digital camera ...

Sorry guys for being off topic, but I answered Tropi's post.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Only kidding about the off topic Luc!

Photography gets a lot of exposure(!) here as it is a large part of the hobby.
These particular cameras would seem unlikely to be discounted for some time as they are such an excellent price already, though they are considerably cheaper in USA - as usual!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The best place I know is Hong Kong ! ( though there are some places which aren't so far where great prices can be reached )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts