SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My available space is 12ft X 6ft. I've been studying smaller Carerra layouts and this is one I've been working on. It has the required pit lane, several lane changes and a lane change in front just before pit lane. It also has some area for landscape and buildings. It appears to flow nicely or at least better than the other layouts I've created. It will also have slight elevation and 2 overpasses. I think I have enough border area. What do you think?
Urban design Race track Font Line Asphalt

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m also experimenting with creating Carrera track plans for a minimal space and like your effort.

How long is the total track length en are both lanes equal?

I’ll try to post my ideas also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m also experimenting with creating Carrera track plans for a minimal space and like your effort.

How long is the total track length en are both lanes equal?

I’ll try to post my ideas also.
i will have to see what the total length is. Im sure it does not have equal distance lanes which is ok because ive added in 2 lane changes. It took many attempts to create a layout with a variety of corners that could both fit a pit lane and outside borders. Ive made several adjustments like adding additional border and moving lane changes forward to help align the car after a turn so the sensor is aligned. Below is the improved layout
Vertebrate Rectangle Textile Font Pattern

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can see a few minor issues and room for improvement, I’ll see if I can find some time to play with your ideas but you are on the right track. 12’ x 6’ is an ok space for a smaller Carrera layout. Bigger than what I have lol.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Unfortunately, I only realised this after giving it a good go at smoothing things out, that there is an issue with an over-abundance of right hand turns... This can get a bit annoying with uneven tyre wear and also uneven lane lengths. But here is what I came up with... Would need a bit of a rethink to get the lanes a little more even an some LH turns into the layout!

Do you have an existing collection of curves or are you planning on purchasing more? I factored in one 12 pack of R4 and two 6 packs of R2. Bear in mind, availability and supply chain issues can get into the lead time of obtaining new track section packs.

Font Urban design Slope Circle Engineering

·
Registered
395 Posts
But here is what I came up with...
I really like the sweeping curve after the straightaway which leads to the next longest straight. For a table that size it should allow the car to build some speed and make it feel like you aren't always turning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, I only realised this after giving it a good go at smoothing things out, that there is an issue with an over-abundance of right hand turns... This can get a bit annoying with uneven tyre wear and also uneven lane lengths. But here is what I came up with... Would need a bit of a rethink to get the lanes a little more even an some LH turns into the layout!

Do you have an existing collection of curves or are you planning on purchasing more? I factored in one 12 pack of R4 and two 6 packs of R2. Bear in mind, availability and supply chain issues can get into the lead time of obtaining new track section packs.

View attachment 313816
I only have the speed memories set at the moment which includes 11 std straights and 8 1/60 curves. Every other track piece will have to be purchased. Thank you for reworking the track. In your layout, is there enough room to fit the wireless controller section, digital control section and 2 driver displays? I thought about equal right left turns but I couldn’t seem to fit it all on the board. I kept finding more right turns.

·
Registered
395 Posts
In your layout, is there enough room to fit the wireless controller section, digital control section and 2 driver displays?
If you haven't you might want to take a look at SmartRace (versus driver displays). I found it to be one of the best (if not the best) thing about digital. One sleeper (for me) was Check Lane(s). They are pretty neat even by themselves. Natively they beep every time you set a fastest sector time. SmartRace will record the splits as well. If you just want to run a few laps they are entertaining... trying to get them to beep.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Can you consider something along these lines? This one involves cutting an R3 track piece in half to make up two R3/15 degree pieces. I've done this sort of thing a few times. Or can be easier if you can get hold of (x2) R4/15 pieces.

Problem with this one is also that you need lots of 1/4 and 1/3 straights... But have a look...

Carrera track ideas

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I followed some of the comments and advice and I now have come up with this layout which has equal turns, A large sweeping turn and now, only one lane change and only one overpass huge. I don’t know if this will be more fun to drive but I’m having to really really heavy make sure I want this layout because it will cost me close to $600 to complete this track and
Font Line Eyelash Art Graphics

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I totally get the expense constraints as I am also constrained by limits. One suggestion is to do DIY borders. I’ll have a go at smoothing out your idea there and seeing if there are any ways to simplify it to save on expense without detracting from the flow or experience.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you try to design a layout that has the long straight as a diagonal on the table?
You can use the straight as an underpass, giving you a clear sight of the overpass(es).
For the borders/shoulders: you can rather easily make those by yourself and save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Did you try to design a layout that has the long straight as a diagonal on the table?
You can use the straight as an underpass, giving you a clear sight of the overpass(es).
For the borders/shoulders: you can rather easily make those by yourself and save you a lot of money.
Maybe I haven’t tried hard enough but I’ve had little success in that pursuit, the angles (15 degrees or 30 degrees) will only work for diagonals on particular layout sizes and aspect ratios. But it does work well in the “Bertrand 8” configurations!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was about as close as a diagonal straight away as I came. It looks like a good layout to me but the advice I was given were to try to get equal turns and that two overpasses might obscure the back of the track. I have been thinking about creating my own borders. I see how Boone uses MDF create his borders and that is a possibility. I’m starting out with a speed memories set which doesn’t really cover a whole lot of the pieces I need but it will at least get me going for now till I can get everything else together
Product Eyelash Font Art Rectangle

·
Registered
395 Posts
It looks like a good layout to me but the advice I was given were to try to get equal turns and that two overpasses might obscure the back of the track.
When I was designing my second layout I was "warned" about obscuring parts of the layout which I ended up doing anyway... the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. In reality I rather liked the car disappearing for a moment. It was one of those things that make the lap memorable. I knew what was "hidden" so it didn't affect my driving at all. Now if you are racing and it makes the cars difficult to get to that's another story...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I was designing my second layout I was "warned" about obscuring parts of the layout which I ended up doing anyway... the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. In reality I rather liked the car disappearing for a moment. It was one of those things that make the lap memorable. I knew what was "hidden" so it didn't affect my driving at all. Now if you are racing and it makes the cars difficult to get to that's another story...
I think many tracks with any elevation are always going to have some point of obscurity. Even flat tracks that I have seen on YouTube have buildings or landscaping which makes it hard to see the cars . Our local commercial routed track has a long straightaway underneath a straightaway in the opposite direction then a tight loop climb that is obscured to everyone who drives the track. The track does have difficulties when cars deslot underneath the other track. There are some times where you can’t see your car coming around the corner. Cars tend to deslot prior to hitting that loop because you can’t see the speed of your car especially if you’re on the inside lane . I’m going to keep a grabber arm handy for my home track and hopefully I can try to deal with obscurity by keeping the landscaping fairly simple because I prefer to look at the cars race as opposed to a Busy or highly detailed landscape.
Furniture Table Light Automotive design Architecture

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
SInce we are talking about overpasses, it can be done with varying degrees of visibility loss, if you are mostly driving by yourself at home then no big deal, you know your layout, its probably when newcomers try to navigate your layout that they may take some time to get used to it, though some people are very quick learners.

Here is something I was doodling with (and it has its own inherent problems) but to be honest Evilweevil, I think your idea in post #11 above may have more promise, once tidied up a bit.
Product Orange Font Urban design Line

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only area I was insure of is the first left after the sweeping right. I was wondering if I should have left that first1/30 corner off and simply transitioned more smoothly into the left turn if there is room. I dont know how upset the car will be especially is swinging to the right and then abruptly having to kick the back of the car out to the right. How accurate are these planners? Is the track going to be at the very edge of my layout or go beyond the edge?
Photograph Rectangle Font Bicycle part Event

1 - 20 of 33 Posts