SlotForum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just thinking about my own experience with such kinks... They can be thrilling, but get it wrong and the car is violently thrown out of the slot. Might be fine if you are driving on your own track, but loan your cars to friends and you'll be cringing as you see your loan cars get thrown out of the slot. At least that is my thoughts from limited experience.

Here is an alternate, loosely based on your idea, again, its not perfect and needs some tidying up... Your idea looks pretty good but I think you need to smooth out some of the transitions a bit, for example the LH after the double lane changer.

Don't forget, its really difficult to predict how a circuit will run. Despite significant effort to predict my own designs (with similar cost constraint to yourself) I still have built layouts, and found myself redesigning them quite soon after. It is a challenge!

Well here is an alternate in case it is of interest... again, I'm not entirely happy with it, would need some minor massaging to get it right.
Font Line Urban design Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Maybe a 1/3 straight in between the right/left transition would soften the corner... The thing that is bothering me however, is not enough sweeping turns, all the straights are a bit short. So a bit of a stop/start, HOWEVER... you never know until you try it. For all I know, I could be imagining these potential issues.

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Slope

·
Registered
430 Posts
How accurate are these planners?
I have found it to be pretty close. If anything perhaps it overestimates the track size a touch... I mean just a touch. Regarding sharp turns I find with Carrera even the R1 isn't really sharp. And with a "smaller" layout if you like speed variations you might like a few challenges. I most enjoyed the R1 chicane on my previous track... hit just right and it felt great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe a 1/3 straight in between the right/left transition would soften the corner... The thing that is bothering me however, is not enough sweeping turns, all the straights are a bit short. So a bit of a stop/start, HOWEVER... you never know until you try it. For all I know, I could be imagining these potential issues.

View attachment 313959
I followed some of your advice and adjusted the layout to fit within my 12X6 board. I think this flows pretty well now.
Line Font Pattern Urban design Art

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That looks really good to me. Hmmm... 13 R2’s and 5 R3’s... I’d probably try to swap one of the R2’s for and R3, that way you only need two packs of R2... depending on whether you’re retailer will separate and sell R2 in singular form. Other thing, I’d consider changing the pitlane arrangement but that can wait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That looks really good to me. Hmmm... 13 R2’s and 5 R3’s... I’d probably try to swap one of the R2’s for and R3, that way you only need two packs of R2... depending on whether you’re retailer will separate and sell R2 in singular form.
I count 14 R2's and Im fine with looking for individual pieces. I think this is a winner. I tried multiple combinations and this one just fits and doesn't have any glaring weird areas but then I won't know till I put a car on it, thanks for the help, I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
13 R2’s and 5 R3’s... I’d probably try to swap one of the R2’s for and R3, that way you only need two packs of R2... depending on whether you’re retailer will separate and sell R2 in singular form.
Carrera Slots has a Bargain Bin section that usually has most track pieces available individually. Used it a couple of times without any issues.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You might not like the transition... ? Also trying to see if there is possibility to save on some pieces and also leave room for more lane changers later, or just to try them in different places if you wish. There are many, many ways to do all this!

Font Urban design Slope Rectangle Circle

Or let it overhang your table a little bit?
Font Line Slope Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You might not like the transition... ? Also trying to see if there is possibility to save on some pieces and also leave room for more lane changers later, or just to try them in different places if you wish. There are many, many ways to do all this!

View attachment 314014

Or let it overhang your table a little bit?
View attachment 314015
I won’t be able to overhang any part of the track because I will be running a catch fence around the perimeter. I will only be racing with a friend who has already said he doesn’t want his cars flying off the track. He has a collection of very expensive Formula One cars so I promised him I would put a catch fence around the entire perimeter whether it might be in acrylic or an actual screened fence high enough so the cars don’t fly off the track. I’m gonna go ahead and go with my last design. I priced everything out and Already started purchasing a few of the odds and ends pieces like you had suggested. The rest of the track will be divided amongst several different retailers depending on shipping, tax and availability. If it turns out this layout is a dog, then I will make adjustments if possible. My kids have no interest in slot car racing so I don’t see them out in the garage with me. It’ll basically just be me and my other buddy who lives about an hour away who is working on his own track. We also race at the local commercial track so if we really want to drive fast, that’s the best place to do it with those particular cars that can take a beating

·
Registered
430 Posts
If it turns out this layout is a dog, then I will make adjustments if possible.
Just like dogs all tracks are lovable and can be appreciated for different reasons. Regarding damaging cars my approach is they all look pretty much the same zooming around the track. Speed isn't all that important as smooth handling is what leads to a lot of fun... being able to drive the car. So have a few shelf queens and a few you can really race. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's best if you extend the pit lane and also use at the very least a 1/3 straight before any lane change tracks. Personally, I would use more R1 curves to make the straights longer. The lane change tracks have dead spots on them and are less noticeable when the cars are at a medium to fast speed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts