SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went to watch some racing at a local hobbie shop. As I do not own any cars yet, I helped out with marshalling. It was soo much fun.

BUT!!! I do not know how you guys can smash and roll and break these cars. Wings flying everywhere. Mirrors of on the first corner. Some guys bought brand new cars and played, not raced, with them. But still, they de-slot and there goes a mirror on this corner and wiper blade a few rounds later.

This will take me a while to grasp. And if I do race, it will be with old cars.

Anyway, it was fun and in the immortal words of governer Shwartzeneger :I'll be back".

·
Gary Skipp
6,539 Posts
I never race my Bentley.

Apart from that, I don't mind, and I know they'll get damaged. Its better to pick up cheaper cars for racing, and keep the gorgeous / collectables in the box.

Besides, they'll only get damaged if you come off

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have about 35 cars now - after almost a year of being into the hobby.`i guess I am mainly a home racer/collector.

I have been to and raced at 2 club races, going to the third one this weekend. I have bought a car specifically for each race - due to the race rules and type of race, I did not have one which would be suitable or competitive. These cars are definately bought as and tuned to be racing machines, not models (although they have been very nicely modelled Fly/scalextric/ninco cars).

If I went to clubs regularly, I wouldn't buy a car for each race - but would probably build up a stock of true racers to go alongside my nice models, or else I guess I would start thinking of all my cars differently.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My local pound shop sells 12-packs of super glue! This will also become apparent when you race

I'm not really a collector, but I like the cars to look good. However, I do buy them to use and as such I have to live with the racing school of hard knocks....

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Mark, you have found somewhere to buy superglue?
I found somewhere to get it free!!!

Yes, I have cars and I CARS! lol, Astro I have recently dismantled the vectra but have some other rockets sitting about, yes that includes the front wheel drive rocket.

Club racing is good, just not for your cars

Lookin forward to the weekend now should be fun fun fun!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Mampara @ 15 Jul 2004, 08:20)BUT!!! I do not know how you guys can smash and roll and break these cars. Wings flying everywhere. Mirrors of on the first corner. Some guys bought brand new cars and played, not raced, with them.
It's like "ohhhh... I have a new car must lovingly take care of it, no don't let the nasty men race alongside it and brings scars to it's pristine flanks...." then two weeks later you're in the model shop and you see something else and "ohhhh.... must have it... not bothered about the previous car now, don't mind smashing it up in a race, it's what they're designed for..."

Repeat for the next few decades.

Coop

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
QUOTE Another newbie question. The car in the header pic above, what car is that? There use to be two cars.

If it had 3 wheels, mate, it was an Isetta. If there were 2 of them, it was an Isetta plus 8 pints of Boddingtons.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (Mampara @ 15 Jul 2004, 14:29)Another newbie question. The car in the header pic above, what car is that? There use to be two cars. What was the other one aswell?
Hi Mampara

That's a LeMans Audi R8C up at the very top. As I recall the earlier picture was of a pair of Porsche 956C's. Slot.it make models of these cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

Im going back to the subject of cars getting damaged. I have only got 4 cars but im building up my collection, plus i have a good basic understanding when it comes to cars. I have found that the 2 TVR scalextric sport cars i have are very tough and if the spoiler breaks off it can just clip back in its liitle fitting hole there rather strong but beware dont buy cars with massive spoilers and wings unless u want to find ure self being de-slotted and having to pick up pieces scattered in your lovely scenic trees and hedges in your layout

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mampara, the carnage is all part of the fun. As is said,"that's racin". I don't deliberately try to damage my cars, it simply happens when (in the words of that great Canadian (Fergy)) "I race to win!!". The cars are remarkably resilient and fairly easily repaired if you like. On top of that spare parts are available for many of them. These cars, unlike their 1/1 counterparts can "take a licking and keep on ticking". You can also think of it as a process of the car naturally "lightening" itself of unnecessary weight while gaining a lovely battle-worn "patina"
Once a part is lost, it cannot be lost again (unless it is put back on).
Nothing lasts forever.
When you asked "how can we do it?" We do it with smiles and laughter. Here's to nothing but fun!

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts