SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local club as been racing the NorthWest Model Racing League F1 Championship since March.
I have only participated once,running my Scalextric Renault.I wanted to run a different car for the next race,so I relivered a Scalextric Renault to the 2004 Minardi.

Iceman

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Great work.
Stil haven't had the time to convert my two SCX McLaren racers to the BAR racers.
But the decals look awesome!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Truly fantastic stuff, the level of detail is superb

Any chance of a few step-by-step guidelines of how you get such results?? (materials, methods, pointers???) or are we in "strictly guarded secret" territory?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 9 Aug 2004, 09:28)That looks stunning!

And I swear that helmet really shines

Great Job Ice.
You can't beat a highly polished helmet!

Beautiful paint & decal job!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE You can't beat a highly polished helmet!

Keep it clean Mark! This is a family site...

Looks v. nice. Is the body modified, or just* painted this time?

McLaren

* EDIT: I don't mean just painted like it's simple or anything...

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is a beautiful job.

Have you taken any pictures through the process? I really like to know how you do it.

Morten

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 9 Aug 2004, 13:36)Keep it clean Mark! This is a family site...

It IS clean! Highly polished in fact

Ahem, back to the well deserved heaping of praise

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
John, I am amazed every time I see one of your conversions! You really need to catalog your decal sets and offer them online! Your stuff is great!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No secrets here!! If it was not for my friends,Scottrik " Noisy Muse " Smith,Dale Thomas,Doug Ashford,Chuck Lawrence,Brian Williams,and especially to my decal mentor, Howard Frank,I would not be at the stage I am now at.(still lots of room for improvement,thank goodness for clear coats!!)
Over the last few summers,we would get together on Friday nights,not to slot race,but to build/model slot car projects,for the up coming Fall, slot race season,learning alot,and what fun!!!

In regards to the Scalextric Minardi conversion,no modifications to the body,just paint and decals,also no pictures of projects,I will take some of my next project.

In preparing the paint,I disassemble the car fully,then wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper to remove most of the tampo printing.In the MicroMark catalogue,there is a GlassBeader that is to remove paint from models,on sale now for $200.00 US,the boss of the house,my wife,says that I can purchase it!!! I will let you know how it works out,pictures,time to do,etc.

On the Minardi,I used the Tamiya primers,laquers,and clearcoat,(TS-13).I use a paint booth,so dust is kept to a minimum.Just before primer,paint,or clearcoat,I use a tack cloth to remove any dust on the body.

When I prime,I always use grey on the body first,the grey shows any imperfections.Then next day,I wet sand with 2400-4000 grit sandpaper.Then I use white primer,then wet sand that as well.

Now it is time to paint.Last summer I was at a modelling show,and took in a seminar on painting.The instructor introduced me to what he called " flash painting ". You start with a few " mist coats " of paint,then " wet coats " every 15 minutes.Once the paint is laid down,wait another 15 minutes and start to clear coat,and do the same as the painting.

In regards to multi paint schemes,I paint light colors first,then work my way to the darkest.In regards to the Minardi,I painted the car white,and then clear coated it.To mask,I start with a new X-ACTO blade,and a metal ruler straight edge.I run the masking tape out to the desired lenght,and then use the blade and straight edge create a "new edge" on the masking tape.I apply the tape,and burnish it down well.Here is a GOOD TIP,from Brian Williams,before you paint the next color,lightly mist the masking tap with the first color,(in regards to the Minardi,I used white to mist the masking tape ,before I painted the green.)This misting,helps "seal"the masking tape,and hopefully will stop bleed through.

I always heat my cans of primer,paint and clear,using the instant hot water tap.( no problems yet!! )

I apply the decals 1-2 days after paint/clearcoat.I use Micro Sol and Micro Set to help with the decals to lay down.

1-2 days later,I use Tamiya clear coat TS-13,to seal and protect the decals.

A few days later I assemble the car and "run it in " on my Kelvin Light Test Bench.

I have a Astek airbrush,and last month purchased a new air compressor.I have used the MCW laquer paint on my next project,and I think I will be really pleased with it!! I dries so quickly!! I do use a respirator as the paint spells like a body shop!! I will keep you posted on the results.

I would like to get good enough to paint my stripes,and not make the decals.I think that a good paint job,looks better than a decal.The red stripes on the Minardi are decals.

In regards to making the decals,I use Corel Draw 12 to do the artwork,and an Alps printer to print out the decals.

If anyone has any questions,or would like some help in making decals,please email me at : [email protected]

Iceman

1 - 17 of 17 Posts