SlotForum banner

Iceman's Nascar

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Iceman 
#1 ·
Our local club have been racing a Nascar series over the last 5-6 years.I have only participated once,and I thought I would start to partcipate.
I saw this livery on the internet,I liked it,so I used the Scalextric Pontiac to recreate it.

Iceman

See less See more
#3 ·
My guess is he made them 'PaulH'

This is THE man to go to for your custom decals. Just arm yourself with a good set of pics of the livery you want and ask nicely

NICE JOB yet again John

Odd how NASCAR is seen with such extremes of opinion.
Read American Forums and the Slot NASCARS are going to be the tip of the iceberg for the growth of slots in the States.
Read the European ones (here for example) and the Euro opinion is that they are the spawn of hell, breed like rabbits and can't turn right

I love them myself - great to race for all ages, easy to tune but dont need it to be enjoyable and HARD to break! one of Scaleys less fragile missles IMHO

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice work, Iceman! I may have to get one too.

QUOTE Read the European ones (here for example) and the Euro opinion is that they are the spawn of hell, breed like rabbits and can't turn right

Oh, they turn right, just not very often. The event I'm waiting for is rain! They have rain tires for them, but I don't think they have ever been used. They could only be used on the 2 road courses. I'm a yank, but prefer other forms of motorsport, although it beats baseball!

#5 ·
I am not really not a Nascar fan,as I prefer F1 and Lemans type cars.I do know that Nascar is really popular through out the USA.There are talks going on about building a 80,000 seat Nascar track in the Seattle area.I live in the area,so I will have to check it out,and see what it is about.
I did do the decals myself,Corel Draw 12 for the artwork,and an Alps printer to print them out.

Iceman

#7 ·
QUOTE (Iceman @ 3 Sep 2004, 17:25)I am not really not a Nascar fan,as I prefer F1 and Lemans type cars.I do know that Nascar is really popular through out the USA.There are talks going on about building a 80,000 seat Nascar track in the Seattle area.I live in the area,so I will have to check it out,and see what it is about.
Iceman

Iceman, one of the top sites is directly across the street from where I work!?! I think that would be pretty cool, especially if they add an infield roadcourse. There are quite a few people around here who really don't want it, though.

#9 ·
What NASCAR did you put them on there Iceman?

Looks like an old inliner, but could it be a new ASCAR? I don't recognise the front, with the scoop in it!

Whatever - can I order a decal set?

#11 ·
Hi Swiss,

I did use the Scalextric Pontiac.The car was a white car,but the white to my eyes is a little translucent,so I sanded,primed and painted the car.
I used Tamiya "Pure White",it is a TS number and is a laquer.(not at home now,so cannot look for correct TS number).Are the Tamiya TS paints available in your area?
I cut out the front two smaller grilles to create one large grill,then installed mesh from the inside.
I will send you the decals.

Iceman

#12 ·
WOW!!! Mighty nice job Ice!
I like the transformed Pontiac! Great idea. Think you could turn one into an Intrepid? Now that would be a trick. I wonder why Scaley hasn't released on yet? Do more and post more cool pix..............

#14 ·
I will look into the availability of the white Pontiacs.I really am not into 1:1 Nascar,so I have not followed the availabilty of the Scalextric Nascar.What I have heard,that some of the Scalextric Nascars are going for some rather expensive prices on Ebay.

Also,there is a fellow over here in the States who is going to cast some resin Nascar Dodges as well as Nascar Trucks.These resin bodies are supposed to fit onto the Scalextric Taurus chassis.I plan on purchasing one of each,so I will report back on what I think.

Iceman

#15 ·
I am not into NASCAR at all excpet for a race series, they are actually very cool to drive when set up well.

It is mainly that livery is stunning - in an OTT American sort of way

I'll get me coat.......

Actually I think it was a great effort to commemorate one of Americas favorite race drivers..

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE It is mainly that livery is stunning - in an OTT American sort of way

How can you say that about the home of Monster Trucks and doing back flips on motorcycles?!?

NASCAR does have some great drivers, though. I was always sorry Jeff Gordon didn't go into open wheel racing. It will be very interesting to see him and Jimmy Johnson take on Schumacher and the WRC guys at the ROC in Paris in Dec. They did win it in 2002. They both have amazing car control. Jimmy came from off road stadium racing, sort of like extreme rally cross with out the tarmac. And Jeff from Sprint cars starting at age 14!? If you have never seen these 700HP, front engine V8, open wheel cars on dirt, you have missed something!

#18 ·
Now we're talking! I'm currently setting up a US-style 4-lane tri-oval using Carrera track to run mainly NASCAR but possibly some IRL too. I've got half a mind to make it a full-blown club (the Little Racing League is quite cute), but mostly for when friends come round.

At the moment I'm building up a fleet of cars both box stock Tauruses and Pontiacs together with modified Chevvies like Icemans and Intrepids too. The Chevvies, as Iceman has demonstrated superbly, are Pontiacs (since Pontiac dropped out of NASCAR there seems to have been even more commonality between the GM cars). In real life Dodge uses the Ford templates to build its Intrepids, so again there is not much work to do... just a bit of modelling putty in the radiator grille and you're done!

At present my fleet includes:

Race # Model Driver Livery
2 Ford Rusty Wallace Miller Lite/Harley Davidson 1999
8 Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Jr Budweiser 2003
8 Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Jr Budweiser 'Born On Date' 2004
8 Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Jr Oreo/Ritz 2003
9 Dodge Kasey Kahne Dodge Dealers 2004
10 Pontiac Johnny Benson Valvoline 2002
11 Ford Jeff Bodine Hooters 2002
18 Pontiac Bobby Labonte Interstate 2002
20 Pontiac Tony Stewart Home Depot 2002
21 Chevrolet Kevin Harvick Reese's 2004
24 Chevrolet Jeff Gordon Pepsi/DuPont 2002
30 Chevrolet Jeff Green AOL 2003
31 Chevrolet Robby Gordon Cingular (orange) 2003
36 Pontiac Ken Schrader M&Ms 2001
40 Dodge Stirling Marlin Coors 2003
42 Dodge Jamie McMurray Texaco Havoline 2004
81 Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Jr Kentucky Fried Chicken 2004
94 Ford Bill Elliott McDonald's 1999
97 Ford Chad Little John Deere 1999
99 Ford Jeff Burton Exide 1999

#19 ·
Nice work by the Iceman, as per usual.

Nascar? Personally I'm with the "tupperware zipping around in a circle" camp; but (and rather like my Aunty Flo's, it's a big butt) I would watch a road-course race. Maybe it's my tired eyes but the idea of these big gaudy leviathans turning left and right appeals.

And, yes, the Scaley Nascars are a real hoot and put in a very regular appearance at Oxford.

#21 ·
"Driver#8" - That's a great collection...need to post pictures, especially of Jr's KFC Busch car which when I saw it the first time it was one of the best paint schemes I've seen in awhile!!!

Since I've seemed to have lost my past "modeling" skills...or that I've just grown old, fat, and lazy
...I really enjoy seeing what all you skilled folk can & have done duplicating the "unavailable" sponsor paint schemes!!!

Being a avid NASCAR fan (and all motorsports too) since the early 60's. I applaud Carrera in bringing out the "vintage" cars and hope they do other "eras" as well. In the meantime, to satisfy my need for more NASCAR, I'm turning to 1/43rd scale diecast and using 1/32nd scale running gear to add some interesting cars to my "garage"...

#23 ·
Allan - Considering the big $$$'s any Scalextric NASCAR's are getting on EBAY these days...and the rarity of an "albino" one nowadays...you might want to wait till next year when Scalextric comes out with their Chevy Monte Carlo at a "normal price"...

#24 ·
Swiss,

These white Nascars seem to be impossible to find.I have seen some on Ebay, at very high prices.
Waiting till next year,maybe the ticket.

Iceman

PS Almost finished the BAR 2004 decals,(boy,am I slow!!) I will send you some,with the Earnhardt decals for the Nascar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.