SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking a couple months ago of what would a historic slot car calendar would look like, in a sort of thought experiment, and the rarity thread has brought this back up...

If you were to come with a slot car calendar with the 12 most iconic and/or desirable cars in the history of slot racing, what would you put?

I thought it would be easy, after all, you start with

1) Scalextric Bugatti
2) Cox Chaparral 2E

and then...? Maybe not so easy, and of course it depends on how you define it. Strictly iconic, you've got to put in the
Cox La Cucaracha, but it's pretty common after all, although definitely iconic, at least for us children of the 60s. Undoubtedly, the same applies to a Scalextric tinplate Ferrari or Maserati... as well as the Alfa and Bentley, the Aston Martin and Ferrari...

Do you put in the Lionel Stutz from 1912? And the Fly Viper, which for me really defines the 1990s slot car revival?

If you're talking strictly rarity, you could have 12 obscure cars that nobody outside of PdL and a few other experts have even heard of... and certainly never seen!

Any thoughts on your ideal Slot Car Playmates calendar? (and I guess that already dates me a bit...)

Don

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Don

For me, it has to be the NSR Mosler. Its revolutionised club racing, and is still winning 6 years afters it's release. The out of the box potential is second to none

·
Registered
460 Posts
Strombecker D-Jag and Testa Rossa
MRRC 4WD Ferguson
Monogram Lotus 25
Ninco Renault Clio
Revell Ferrari 250 GTO

...in addition to those already mentioned

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi don
If its only commercial cars we are talking about here ,my vote goes to the russkit carrera with either the porsche 906 or lotus 40 body on ,definately an all time great .
But for iconic status the car that really started it all off, the scalextric tin plate maser or ferrari ,It might not have happened had freddie francis not motorised his clock work tinplates.

Cheers tony

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Iconic does not mean rare, it means what it means...

My personal selection for such a calendar:

January/ Cox Chaparral 2E "Mag"
February/ Scalextric Bugatti T59
March/ Cox "La Cucaracha" (common or not common, it IS iconic, ask the Italians and the Swiss!)
April/ Russkit Lotus 40
May/ Monogram '55 Chevy
June/ Tamiya Porsche 906
July/ Fly Viper (because it started the new generation of plastikars and we only need one of them things in something called "iconic"
)
August/ Scalextric Bentley in black
September/ Cox Ford Galaxie "Gurney"
October/ Classic Stinger
November/ Unicar Ferrari 330P4
December/ Adams & Sons Quad MK1

For next year I have another 12...

Note that about 10 years ago, some guy from Pittsburg called Joe Alessi did exactly that, a beautiful calendar with a selection of Cox and Monogram cars expertly assembled by Bill Wessels of St Louis, MO. It was really cool and I still have mine...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Do You Know, "dgersh" originally, & further "TSRF",

Brilliant concept, I have only 7 of those 12 icons, but I would love a calendar illustrated in such way.

I suspect many others also !!.

More power to one's elbow, in this respect.

vbr Chris A.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Great idea, Don. How about a "timeline" page at the back for important developments / technical changes that don't make good illustrations? Even something as small as guides with pickup braids may have been significant.
Rob J

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up TSRF,

I think I would put the Adams & Sons Quad Mk 1 for the month of April !!.

Clever enginering, but ??.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
It all depends on when you got into slot racing and what sort of slot cars you were into

For me it's a red Scalextric BMW 3.0 CSL

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point Julien - maybe we should have an "old pharts" calendar and a "young whippersnappers" calendar... I couldn't really name any of the more modern ones because I just don't know them, but either the Ninco Clio or Vly Viper sound like a good idea for historical significance... Didn't realize the Mosler has been around that long either.

And as the the April carmate, we have a lot of candidates...

Of course, there would also be differences by country: for the US, the Strombecker D-Jag and Testa Rossa are definite icons, but in France or Britain it would be something totally different: France could well have the Circuit 24 Testa Rossa or Panhard DB - now those are a pair of cars that set the pulse racing here...

Worth thinking about... but I'm still missing a lot of these candidates, and the ones I have are not always in starlet condition...

Don

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, good point Thai - which would you nominate?

I really should have thought of that, since I basically started with a T-Jet set in 1963... I would almost put just a T-Jet and AFX chassis on there, not really sure which cars are the most iconic: for me it would be the Hot Rod and Indy racer... plus maybe one of the first TycoPro cars...

The advantage of the HO cars is that we can get 12 of them on a single page!

Don

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
How many months in one year again? maybe we should use Pluto's calendar, lots more pictures opportunity...

·
redstar
1,575 Posts
hi,my 12 would be,1912 lionel stuz, 1933 kennedy bugatti,1937 marx streamline car, mrrc maserati railcar, scalextric ferrari tinplate, aurora ho mercedes 300, strombecker 1/32 indy car, cox chaparral 2e, tamiya 1/24 dodge charger, monogram 1/24 chevy, ninco dodge viper, 1/32 slot classic bmw.of course 12 cars are too few & the competion is great.many other cars could justifiably be included in this list.but the real decision will be made by the person who actually produces the calender.bernard sampson

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (SAMPSON @ 13 Aug 2011, 05:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ninco dodge viper,

Oooh! Didn't know about that one!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Maybe a bit of a "forgotten underdog" from an iconic point of view, but nevertheless one of the most important cars in the development of slot car racing in the modern era: Ninco BMW M3 GTR (#50269).
Why this apparently dull and bleach gray street car?
Because it was the very first of the modern plasticars that implemented and re-invented the forgotten but successful anglewinder motor/driveline concept from the 1960's, proving it's superiority still today and introducing it in the present era of the slot racing hobby. And this already in 2002.
Today, most of the top manufacturers offers AW cars in their lineup, and AW setups are also heavily dominating things in the racing & competition area:
If you want to go fast, AW is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Yes, I remember quite well when Ninco was advertising that "they invented it"!!!
Never mind that it never stopped to be used since introduced in 1967 in the USA, and run there ever since as well as in Europe on the truly competitive (but not "exact-scale") 1/32 and 1/24 scale slot cars that would have that BMW and any and all home-racing plastic cars for breakfast without breaking a sweat.

However, if it makes your list, OK with me. I assume that for Ninco, it is better to wake up after years of manufacturing inline cars that went nowhere slow, some of them looking quite cute doing so, like their little 356's.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Great idea Don but, rather than "iconic slot cars", I would prefer "slot versions of iconic cars" which is a somewhat different concept.

The NSR Mosler may have been a racing leap forward but the real car was not especially noteworthy. Quite a lot of the suggestions so far were major advances in slot terms but not in the 1:1 sense.

My list would include slot versions of such things as Lotus 49, 72 & 79, Gulf Ford GT40, Rothmans Porsche 962, Ferrari 250 GTO etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts