SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more of a RTR man but I just aquired these and would be grateful for any info on them . Advance apologies for the poor quality pics , but I bounced the camera & it don't work so good now .

Cheers

Geoff

·
Kitbasher
4,293 Posts
The first one is a Monogram Ferrari GTO LM/64 body fitted with what looks like a Riko ( Monogram copy ) brass chassis with riko running gear. the body mounts are spectacularly bad!

The second car is an Airfix slim line motor/steering unit in a matching Airfix Porsche 906 bodyshell.

I like the Airfix cars but you can probably get the riko to go a damn sight faster...

The problem with your photos may not be the camera, if you go in too close the camera can't focus. look to see if there is a 'Macro' setting, usually denoted by a small flower icon. If there is try it.

Otherwise try taking the photos from say, 4 inches further away (from the subject).

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The Ferrari looks like an old PARMA chassis to me.

Not that it matters either way the advice is still valid.

Be careful painting the Airfix Porsche if you are minded to repaint. My Airfix Porker reacted with some paint badly and the plastic went like biscuit crumbs!

I had spent ages flatting the blooming thing down and filling all the dinks and moulding lines.

Still . . . you live, you learn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it is a Monogram Ferrari. The cut off rear body mounts are in the wrong place. It may be a Palmer kit (as opposed to a PARMA chassis, Ian). The chassis looks Riko, but the motor looks too chunky and is certainly not the earlier Rikochet motor. The Porsche906 Airfix clubman chassis motor looks in good nick.

Cheers

Geoff

·
Kitbasher
4,293 Posts
QUOTE I don't think it is a Monogram Ferrari. The cut off rear body mounts are in the wrong place

I have just taken a look at my Monogram GTO and yes, the body mounts are wrong on this one so 'dunno guv' it could be any one of many, it was a popular car back in the day...

As to the motor, the later Riko chassis were sent out with a rather potent ballraced 16D rather than a Rikochet MK1 or MK2 (MK2 was a rubbish motor).
So I still rekon this is a Riko chassis and running gear.

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
It's a normal Riko adjustable 'Monogram Ripoff' chassis with the later Rikowhip (ballrace 16D) motor, absolutely standard apart from the Scalextric pinion, doubt that meshes very well!
Body is the Palmer 'Monogram Ripoff' 250 GTO LM!

·
Kitbasher
4,293 Posts
QUOTE It's a normal Riko adjustable 'Monogram Ripoff' chassis with the later Rikowhip (ballrace 16D) motor, absolutely standard apart from the Scalextric pinion, doubt that meshes very well!
Body is the Palmer 'Monogram Ripoff' 250 GTO LM!

Sounds like I was sort of right then, how nice....

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The Ferrari's chassis and running gear may be from a Riko GXL kit, the later version of the Competition series as described in a recent Riko thread here in the Vintage forum. The GXLs had a can-end-drive 16D motor like this. It was named as the RikoRocket in a couple of posts and images.
The kit came with L-shaped side-pieces for body mounting, which aren't used here, but perhaps they would have been too wide.

Geoff: The crown gear looks like the kit's original pressed-steel contrate, which chewed up even brass pinions, and would be worth replacing ASAP.
Rob J

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the help folks .......I take it you weren't impressed Phil

Tif , thanks for the camera advice but the LCD screen has a couple of large dead areas so it's pretty much point and hope ..shame as it was a decent camera

I'll probably sell them on fleabay as I've spent far too much on new toys lately

1 - 10 of 10 Posts