SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am about to start building a new rally/hill climb setup using mainly scalextric track.

I have a hump backed bridge, ninco loops, rough terrain and ice curve.

But looking around I have seen loads of wooden tracks with water crossing (simulated of course.)
I was wondering if anyone had tried to recreate one of these using plexi track?

I was thinking along the lines of removing a section of metal rail to force racers to hit the crossing at speed and also bending the track to simulate the dip.
I have successfully put humps in track before so this is not a problem but if anyone has any further thoughts on the matter I would really appreciate them.
Along with anyother hazards you can think of.

Cheers

Az

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ha ha.
I have heard you can use distilled water to acheive this effect?
I could also install a water feature to have a waterfall cascading down my hill climb with a flowing stream

Problem is when it leaks from the loft into my bedroom

Cheers

Az

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Azrael,

Here you can find a lot of superb tracks, including some nice rally-raid tracks with water-crossing.

Cheers

Gunther

·
Phil B.
3,765 Posts
250 GTO may have a picture of the Aberstone rally track which features "dry" river crossings and snowy alpine scene, we have had water from a leaky tent in the rain on the track with no problems. however the ditches and rivers that I wanted to drop water on turned milky because I used PVA instead of oil based clear varnish! Lesson learned.

Cheers - Phil

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Aberstone @ 12 Jan 2005, 14:38)250 GTO may have a picture of the Aberstone rally track which features "dry" river crossings and snowy alpine scene, we have had water from a leaky tent in the rain on the track with no problems. however the ditches and rivers that I wanted to drop water on turned milky because I used PVA instead of oil based clear varnish! Lesson learned.

Cheers - Phil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be interested in seeing those pic's if they are available.

Cheers

Az

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Me too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello.

Hmmm, using real water will bring some problems....when you drive through it!

But, when your car drives over a transparent track (acrylic glass), just wide like your car. In the middle is the slot with "cunductor" (? in english?).
And under the acrylic track is real water. The water surface is just a little bit under the track surface.

In the track is a sensor, what detects that a car is crossing the water.
And under the acrylic track is a air-pump (I think, in this case, easier to use then a water pump), which is blowing the water from the middle of the track outwards.

When the sensor is detecting a car...the air pump blows the water outwards...like the bow wave of a car.

I can imagine, this will be a good effect and the cars stay dry. No electric and mechanical troubles.

Tschau, Roland.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE (Roland H. @ 14 Jan 2005, 10:48)snip....
In the track is a sensor, what detects that a car is crossing the water.
And under the acrylic track is a air-pump (I think, in this case, easier to use then a water pump), which is blowing the water from the middle of the track outwards.

When the sensor is detecting a car...the air pump blows the water outwards...like the bow wave of a car.
snip...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone in the States was working on this very system sometime in 2003, there was a long and interesting thread over on SCI, have no idea how far it got in the end though, anyone owning up?

·
Phil B.
3,765 Posts
On the wet Aberstone rally track we covered the motors up with insulating tape, especially the open SCX ones, being short runs the motors don`t get hot.
I know Roly had trouble posting the pictures a while ago and Scott offered to do it for him.
Cheers - Phil

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've seen a very realistic water crossing done with mirrors. At least realistic in the pictures. Woodland scenics makes a product that when it hardens it has the look of water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts