SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before any of you start to get ideas about the expected level of detail in my work-in-pogress scalex layout, I have to come clean and admit that I didn't build this! I inherited this train layout from my father.

Its 16 ft long by about 6 ft deep and as I wasn't convinced I had the room to accommodate it, I put together a webpage to advertise it for sale. In the end I decided to keep and I was about to delete the webpage when I thought that it might be of interest to some of the keen scenery modellers on this forum. It's probably a bit off topic really so apologies to the moderators if it's not appropriate.

The webpage can be found here; Schöndorf

Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
I absolutely love detailed train scenery like that!!!!

Any time we have a family outing to anywhere that even hints to having something similar and I'm there for the day.

Must date back to the Sundays of old when my father would take me to Bourton on the Water - great little shop with 3 rooms of very well built train layouts.

Did you see the model day on Discovery Home & Leisure? I can't remember the last time I spent so many hours watching the TV in one sitting and one channel.

I truly wish I had the space, time, money and of course the main ingredient "Talent" to build such a layout.

My Scalex layout will be the first attempt. Where is the layout stored now? in use I hope

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Mark, not off-topic at all, IMO. As Astro said, it is inspiring, and so much of it can be applied to slot track detailing. Your father was definitely an artist. I particularly like his rock work, the lake/pond, and the way some details (fencing, for example) are done imperfectly (by intention) to look more realistic (a common mistake made by many slot track builders is to make everything too perfect).

I will never reach detail like that on my track, but I do intend to get as close as I can. So, yes, thanks for sharing those pics!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We can try Gunther! I must admit that it has inspired me to try something similar for my Scalex but perhaps not with quite as much of all that fragile detail - a deslotted car does a bit more damage than a derailed train!

One thing that doesn't really come out in the photos but could carry across to Scalex is all the lighting. All the buildings are illuminated (including the 'phone box) and most of the cars have front and rear lights (the lorry unloading has working hazard lights). When you add in all the working street lamps it looks really great in the dark. One of the sheds has a light inside that is designed to flicker in a way that looks exactly like welding - I am sure that would look great flickering away in the back of a pit garage on a scalex layout!

Scooby, the last two photos on that webpage are of the layout in its current location; my office. It was the only room that could accommodate it. It actually makes for a great stress reliever and it's running in the background as I type. And I am keeping it - it's no longer for sale!

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, glad it's of interest.

Mark

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is excellent! It is very impressive! I do not think it is off topic at all.

I have always been impressed with this sort of scenery and really love it on train layouts. However I just don't think it needs to be this well done for a slot car track. Some scenery and detailing add a lot but it really needs to be very robust for the rigors of racing. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Rich

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (bacardibeast @ 24 Sep 2004, 09:26)Lovely stuff!

And, Scooby, that place you visited at Bourton on the Water, it's about 15 mins away from where I live!!!

David

You won't believe how many hours lost to that little shop! My parents would leave me there in the morning and pick me up a few hours later and still not ready to leave
( I used to live in Witney )

Threeracers - Nice office!! I've got an office to myself to which sounds posh until you walk in and discover its the company filing room

Great stress reliever too. Maybe one day I'll move a floor up to where the "big" people work and be allowed something similar one day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was wondering if someone would bring up the little shop in Bourton-on-the-water. As a transplanted Brit living in America, I still have a deep fondness for that town. Any time I actually get to go back and visit family in England, I always make time for a trip to B-o-t-W.

I grew up in the Wotton-Under-Edge/Kingswood/Thornbury area of the Southern Cotswolds. B-o-t-W was a short drive. Good Fish-n-chips, beautiful town, and plenty of little places to see and things to do.

The toy shop itself was one of my favorites. I compare my memories of it to a Hobbit hole or something. little doorways and many little paths. Had a good Scalextric selection way back when, but I always had to see the train layouts. They weren't/aren't the best done layouts ever, the scenery isn't perfect. But they are perfect in their own little way. Unlike most train layouts (especially those in the US), most of the tracks were just a big circle, so you could sit and watch them all day. A definite spectator bonus. But best of all, many of the trains could be started with a button. This kept kids, myself included up to present day, engaged and fascinated.

Sorry to bring this off topic a little bit, but that town, and that shop have a giant place in my heart. Now that I'm "settled down" and have a son, I look forward to bringing the new family to England for the first time, and you can bet Bourton-on-the-Water will be one of the first stops.

pup

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE However I just don't think it needs to be this well done for a slot car track

I basically agree with you Rich. Deslotted cars can wreak havoc on scenery. But often, there are places on a slot track where detailed efforts are not likely to be affected, especially on larger tracks where there is ample room for protected scenery areas. Also, if the track is primarily used by one person merely to enjoy running the cars then there is less chance of major destruction.

But, yes, there is a good reason you won't find much scenery on most commercial and club tracks! There are far too many people who drive like me!

Regardless, though, every time I see this sort of work I envision little details that I could add to a track.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Pupkick and BacardiBreezer you should both be informed that not only does the aforementioned shop in Bourton sell those funny train model thingies but the last time I got in there (funny opening hours in the tourist off season) they were also purveyors of SCX, Fly, Cartrix and Scaley.

And Mr BreezerGeezer, if you don't live too far from Bourton you don't live that much further from us. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That is fantastic! Your father truly was a craftsman. Model RR's inspired me to do my layout with this type of scenery. It is VERY durable surprisingly.

Thanks for sharing that with us, I'll keep going back to those pictures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Amazing.

It reminds me of when I was a child, I had a friend who said his father had a huge model train set in their loft. I didn't believe him at first since the way he described it, it sounded so exaggerated, and he wouldn't show me.

Until one day. It was absolutely amazing, just like the one here. And huge too. It's really like a piece of art.

·
Registered
198 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 24 Sep 2004, 17:25)Pupkick and BacardiBreezer you should both be informed that not only does the aforementioned shop in Bourton sell those funny train model thingies but the last time I got in there (funny opening hours in the tourist off season) they were also purveyors of SCX, Fly, Cartrix and Scaley.
That's great news. I should be back in England for a visit in ~2 years, and like I said before, you can be sure that B-o-t-W will be one of my first stops. They always had a big selection of Scalextric in the late 80's/early 90's, with my only sizable comparison being Beatties (sp?) in Bristol. I'm glad to hear they've extended to the other manufacturers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts