SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering if someone would bring up the little shop in Bourton-on-the-water. As a transplanted Brit living in America, I still have a deep fondness for that town. Any time I actually get to go back and visit family in England, I always make time for a trip to B-o-t-W.

I grew up in the Wotton-Under-Edge/Kingswood/Thornbury area of the Southern Cotswolds. B-o-t-W was a short drive. Good Fish-n-chips, beautiful town, and plenty of little places to see and things to do.

The toy shop itself was one of my favorites. I compare my memories of it to a Hobbit hole or something. little doorways and many little paths. Had a good Scalextric selection way back when, but I always had to see the train layouts. They weren't/aren't the best done layouts ever, the scenery isn't perfect. But they are perfect in their own little way. Unlike most train layouts (especially those in the US), most of the tracks were just a big circle, so you could sit and watch them all day. A definite spectator bonus. But best of all, many of the trains could be started with a button. This kept kids, myself included up to present day, engaged and fascinated.

Sorry to bring this off topic a little bit, but that town, and that shop have a giant place in my heart. Now that I'm "settled down" and have a son, I look forward to bringing the new family to England for the first time, and you can bet Bourton-on-the-Water will be one of the first stops.

pup

· Registered
199 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 24 Sep 2004, 17:25)Pupkick and BacardiBreezer you should both be informed that not only does the aforementioned shop in Bourton sell those funny train model thingies but the last time I got in there (funny opening hours in the tourist off season) they were also purveyors of SCX, Fly, Cartrix and Scaley.
That's great news. I should be back in England for a visit in ~2 years, and like I said before, you can be sure that B-o-t-W will be one of my first stops. They always had a big selection of Scalextric in the late 80's/early 90's, with my only sizable comparison being Beatties (sp?) in Bristol. I'm glad to hear they've extended to the other manufacturers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.