SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
...what would be the one thing you would change about your layout? I'll go first. I have both an HO and 1/32 layout & on the HO layout I'd get rid of all of the 6" corners because it's a hassle to get the Mega G's to run on them. Yes, I've made it work, it can be done. But still it's a pain in the rear to have to tinker so much to get the cars around the 6" corners when they run great everywhere else.

What would you change on your layout?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I'm happy with the track layout itself. For a fairly short (14m) track it's fun and still keeps us entertained 2 and a half years on. But I started on the scenery when we were still running magnets. There are a couple of areas where I'd leave more run-off/border room, one takes a bit of punishment at times.

Embs

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I have Scalextric Sport track, so the layout changes all the time. But the one thing that I can't change is the maximum radius curve. Radius 4 (R4) is the largest. I'd like to have the equivalent of an R12 or thereabouts, so that I could make a huge, smooth sweeping turn.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My strategy...to simply DO it all over again. I scrapped all my previous methodologies in favor of a complete circuit redesign every year. I keep the same basic time period so all my structures and accessories (which I put a lot of effort into) all fit nicely. If a circuit winds up with "a tricky part" I just learn to drive it...it'll all be different next year. This way I never strive for a "perfect" layout, just one that is logical.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 21 Aug 2011, 17:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm happy with the track layout itself. For a fairly short (14m) track it's fun and still keeps us entertained 2 and a half years on. But I started on the scenery when we were still running magnets. There are a couple of areas where I'd leave more run-off/border room, one takes a bit of punishment at times.

Embs
Actually. Just thinking through this a bit further. I can simplify many things by changing just one decision. Wish I'd built a bigger garage/toy room.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm still in the process of thinking about it, but if I decide to change my layout, I will make it totally flat. Right now, I have a couple of over/under sections which is cool, but occasionally I have a problem with the cars slowing down at certain points and I must stop and diagnosis the problem. I like the idea of elevation changes in a layout, but I just think the track would run better and give me less problems if it were entirely flat.

·
Registered
826 Posts
When I first spotted this thread, I thought it would cover everything, basically, "What would you do over again from your start in the slot car hobby." There's a whole bunch of things I would have done differently back when I started if I knew then what I know now.

But, since it's the current track, there are a few things I'll be changing in the next one. I have one blind corner, which was dumb, although I'm used to it now. I also should have put in some more technical sections, maybe a tighter turn or two. I already have 4" lane spacing, 5" outer borders and 3" inner borders so I'll leave that the same. I wouldn't mind three lanes but two has worked out fine so far and gave me more track length.

Randy

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
What one change would I make? Replace the entire Scalextric Sport track with a routed track. No more electrical issues, no more limitations on design.

I'm not a routed track snob at all - I love any track. However living with one became unbearable for me due to the electrical issues and width of the track.

As for changes on the current track - I had two crossovers that were problematic. I rerouted those areas and got rid of the crossovers.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 21 Aug 2011, 12:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have Scalextric Sport track, so the layout changes all the time. But the one thing that I can't change is the maximum radius curve. Radius 4 (R4) is the largest. I'd like to have the equivalent of an R12 or thereabouts, so that I could make a huge, smooth sweeping turn.
R12? That would be a HUGE corner, how much space do you have?

·
Registered
826 Posts
QUOTE (dreinecke @ 22 Aug 2011, 08:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What one change would I make? Replace the entire Scalextric Sport track with a routed track. No more electrical issues, no more limitations on design.

The electrical issue was one of my main reasons for going routed. I got so tired of the Sport connectivity issues, I ripped my original track apart, sold everything and did without for a year or so.

Go for it. A routed track completely changed the hobby for me. I thought I might get tired of having the same layout and no easy option to change it but that has not happened yet, and it's been a year-and-a-half. I think the combination of constantly trying to be a better driver without magnets and constantly fine-tuning cars helps to keep things interesting.

Randy

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Randy - it changed it for me as well. I can't see getting bored with my track as I made it the way I wanted it to be - technical and fun. The close racing that has happened on it simply amazes me.

Tuning the cars is where it is at for me now. I love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts