SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been reading Perry Cox's excellent thread which if I am not mistaken is entirely Carrera based. So it looks like he has chosen to stick with one brand of car and one brand only. If you were given the choice/limitation of one manufacturer, which would you choose?
For me as a home (well, garage) racer running on Scaley Sport, I think I would probably end up plumping for Scalextric although not every car they make is the best of its kind, but would also be torn over SCX, Fly and Slot.it.
I know this is probably very hypothetical, but it's an interesting test of willpower to theoretically deny yourself the variety which the hobby gives us and stick loyally to that one chosen brand.

Just a thought,

Dave

· Registered
1,045 Posts
One brand? Would have to be NSR. They are great cars to race, Fast and great handling. The new Porsche is a real looker and the Mosler is a true race winner. Other cars may give better detail but as a club racer its NSR for me every time.

· Registered
12 Posts
For me it would have to be Fly. I worked in a model shop that sold them and wished that I got back into slot then as they were beautiful. Fly Gulf Porsche 917K...I can only dream.

· 1 hp Trabant is not my real car
763 Posts
Probably the boring choice, but for me it would have to be Scalextric
Great range, consistent quality and good detail.
Second would be Carrera, mainly because of their American muscle selection and quality (don't care if they are slow).

I enjoy the half dozen Slot-its that I have, but they don't make the type of cars I really like.
I really like my Pioneers, and so happy they have started up with American muscle - but they don't have the range yet.
Never been really happy with the couple of Fly that I have.
SCX, MRRC etc - happy with the ones I have, but the points add up in favour of Scalextric for me.
I don't buy expensive stuff like Racer etc.

You've probably worked out that I am a home "doodler" not a club racer.

Cheers,
Tom.

· Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I tried Keys and Slots NSR and was really impressed with how it drove, and I am not a racer. I ust appreciate a great car.

I also love my MB Sloter white Lola T290. IT is an excellent running car compared to all the rest. It is a shame that this combo did not become a standard line. By the way, I have never run a standard Sloter car. Am I missing something?

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I use 1:64 and 1:32 cars, the only manufacturer that currently makes cars in both these scales is Scalextric, but I don't like Scalextric cars, IMO they're over priced and handle poorly, so if I could have 1 brand per scale it would be AFX in 1:64 and SCX in 1:32

AFX because the SG+ and Mega G chassis are good and the bodies are nice.
SCX because they make cars I like (mostly classic rally), the cars go the right speed for home tracks and have nicely balanced handling, but every rose has it's thorn (just like every night has it's dawn), and the lights on SCX cars work intermittently and the motor spring contacts aren't a good idea.

· Stuart Wood
351 Posts
As another Home Doodler, I'd have to choose Scalextric... No I wouldn't, I'd choose Fly - some beautiful models and full of character on track, despite the occasional quality issue. Obviously I can't afford Racer, otherwise it's a no brainer.

· Registered
702 Posts
Good one.

I race 1:64 nationally, 1:43 at home and 1:32 at club level.

For me Carrera have 1:43 wrapped up.

Scalextric are very good at what they do but the 'slow boat from china' friendly interiors are a pain if you intend to race them and extra track is ludicrously expensive for the casual home user. I'm a big fan of slot it cars for racing, particularly on wood but they are a touch fragile especially the white kits and the motor reliability is unacceptable.

In 1:64 A.F.X. Have a fantastic track system, a good if not great range of cars and best of all both are incredible value. They are the only cars in the scale that have a wow factor appearance wise, are fun to drive out of the packet on a little two laner on the carpet and fantastic race cars with a little of a lot of modification.

Actually after writing that it's not even close, A.F.X. All day for me.....as long as I can use Parma controllers?

But every cowboy sings a sad, sad song and.A.F.X. Do not currently export to europe, they used to and thought it's been a while now I can still feel so much pain..........

· Premium Member
855 Posts
I love my NSR cars but if I had to choose then it would SCX as they are fun to race with & they have a good selection of cars.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.