SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
what have you done to it to make it work? Mine does not even run with the body installed because the front and rear wheels touch on it (I filed the body wheel arches without much success), the crown is on too tight and presses hard against the pinion leaving no play at all and there is no space to move it sideways because those double (!) bushings on each side going through the motor mount and the chassis (no space to put a Slot.it crown and axle either).
Mine has the Evo4 motor and in Italy the car was apparently one of the most used in racing until a while ago (probably before those wonderful Slot.it cars appeared on the scene).
Best regards
Edo

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Edo
The big problem with most Proslot cars are the gears, there rubbish!
I replaced mine with old 60's Taylor 36t contrate and 10t pinion but any decent inline contrate's/pinion of similar ratio with the boss on the gear side will do.
The tyre's do run quite close to the wheel arch so you might have to narrow the track and true the tyre's but they will fit OK.
Glue the motor plate to the chassis and glue the axle bushing to there holders, after running the motor in water for 3 minutes [in revears direction] refit and glue in position, i use a hot glue gun for this purpose as the dried glue can be pealed off when wanted.
Another mod is to replace the front plastic stub axle's with either a solid axle or with metal stub axle's [cut old 3/32 axle] and retaining collar's which are machined down old Sonic gear bosses.
Place some lead just behind the guide and run the body mounting screw's loose and you should have a decent car, so decent that it will be banned from your club just as mine has been!
[unodiwos]

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Bummer, you got a duffer. Mine flew,straight out of the box and has continued to fly. Sounds like your chassis may be less than flat?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a few proslot's (toyotas, ferrari, 911 etc.) and there does seem to be an endemic quality control problem. Some of em absolutely fly out of the box and others need major surgery to get em running. The main problems i've found are:

Gears - pinions can be split, crown wheels warped etc. Best bet is to replace em

Chassis - can sometimes be a little out of true. Lay it on a flat surface and check for straightness. If you need to it can usually be persuaded flat by gentle heating with a haridryer and a wee bit of manipulation.

Despite the effot required, when you get them right....proslot are some of the most fun cars to drive imo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with ypu guys!!. Mine was a complete disaster.
I took every spare part out. Flatenned the chasis with a hairdryer. Introduced slot it transmission. In line aluminium crown (28), bushings (special ones for Proslot), Magnesium wheels. Also the engine. Slot it V/12 with 26.000 rpm. Obviously the same with th pinion. Ratio 28/10. Everything glued to avoid vibration. And at the front I betted for a complete axle(also slot it).
Now My GT1 is a rocket.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MR Racing Slot
I have new wider brass special bushings for Pro slot but how do you mount them? The original plastic ones are double since they seat in place of the motor mount AND in place of the chassis holding this two pieces toghether . With those special bushing even if they are wider they will not hold the two pieces toghether: you have to choose between mounting them on the motor holder or the chassis bushing holder.
Thanks for the help
Best regards
Edo

·
Registered
71 Posts
These are well popular at HSARC races, as per last Friday's pix. Use epoxy to lock the motor mount in place. Replace the gears with the Slot.It small green crown and an 8t pinion (for the Evo 4 motored version). We run ours non-magnet for most racing. A good piece of lead sheet (our shop sells 2" x 3.5" sheets, 1/24th" thick and sticky backed), cut to fit the chassis inside between front axle stubs/guide shaft holder and the front of the motor will help..

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Edo

Well. Let's see. You've got 2 options. Use the original bushings with the pro-slot it axle, as you should know they are same diameter as proslot axles.With this option you will have not a perfect bushing but you gain some good miligrams on the rear.
Another option, as I told on my first reply are the slot it bushings, BUT not the ones you refer to. There are other ones with the reference SI-PA11 specially indicated for PROSLOT cars with side winder motors and craddles. Here you gain some weight but obtain a perfect and smooth transmission.

You're wellcome.

Best regards

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Toyota GT1 is my all time favourite race car.
I glued the motor pod in to make it solid and glued the Evo 4 motor in as well.
Retained the original Proslot bushings and fitted Slotit axle (I seem to remember it was a very tight fit so I heated it and "forced ot through) and now is extremely smooth and quiet. Slotit 8 or 9 tooth pinion and 26 tooth crown.
Standard front wheels and stubs. Gom racing front tyres, Proslot slicks or Ortmanns on the rear. SCX silver, soft racing braid.
No magnet, no weight. A ballistic missile.
Chassis flatness can be a problem and wheel rub, but after fitting smaller dia tyres and setting the tilt just right, you will have a flyer. I have 12!
GJB52

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK guys
thanks a lot for all the suggestions which will be duly applied

The solution for the bushings, which I have seen done yesterday by some racers at the Suzuka track race in Egg (thanks to Thomas and Alan (Swissracer), who were very nice, wish I would have been there earlier to practice but especially to talk tuning tips!) I will adopt is to use TWO Slot.it SIPA02 (the thin ones not the made for Proslot wide ones) bushings PER side (and slot it axle and gears).
Again thanks
Best regards
Edo

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tuning of the GT1 became such a bloody task that I decided to take up Monquispot offer and I musst say that he did an outstanding and sophisticated job to the chassis:

The car is a rocket now with amazing handling and speed!
I think he should jump in and explain what he did.
I just mounted the new MBSlot rear wheels with NSR Magnetic tires and in front indipendent TSRF wheels and axle with Slot.it Zero tires.
Thanks Monquispot!
Regards
Edo

·
Registered
96 Posts
...just got a GT1 the day before yesterday. 20 laps on my track an the crown and pinion lost their teeth

As far as I can see it should be possible to fit Slot.it crown, rearaxle and pinions right?

I also tried putting the front axle from my Audi R8C on the GT1 and it works musch better.

So basically I have to convert most of the car into a Slot.it car.

Morten

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just got my GT1 today. The rear axle is already bent straight out of the box!
(I also had a dodgy pinion on my 360 Modena, it was brand new!) Anyway, I'm in the process of changing the gears and the rear axle. What gear ratio do you guys run? I think the standard set up was 8/30, isn't that a bit too low? Anyway, I only have limited spare parts and I could put either an 8, 9 or 10t pinion with a 27t crown. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.