SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... where would you start?

Here's a few pictures of what I'm aiming for

Do you think it's possible to start with a Camaro from the same era, and modify the front and back ends? Or a later Firebird Trans Am and modify it?

There doesn't seem to be a kit available, 3D data doesn't exist either and I can't even find some blueprints to start on my own!

·
Registered
627 Posts
whats wrong with a '78 trans am? ...in black .....screaming chicken on the "hood" ....a stetson'd bandit ......sally fields backside in those jeans
.......... sorry , drifted off there for a mo!!!!!

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
That Superjet '71 Trans Am is close at the rear but quite different at the front.

Does anybody know if the middle changed much from '71 to '74?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (petestrike @ 24 May 2012, 21:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whats wrong with a '78 trans am? ...in black .....screaming chicken on the "hood" ....a stetson'd bandit ......sally fields backside in those jeans
Nothing, except Carerra already do one and model kits are easy to come by. I only want to do stuff that's impossible (or nearly impossible) to get anywhere else

But it's still a cracking film!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Assuming the aim is a Rockford Files Firebird, according to this website Jimbo managed to upgrade his motor every year from 74 to 78. And I thought he was supposed to be skint

http://imcdb.org/movie_71042-The-Rockford-Files.html

Sadly I can remember some continuity errors where he'd leave home in a twin headlamp model, drive down the freeway in the single headlamp model and arrive at his destination back in the twin headlamp one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
QUOTE (choc-ice @ 24 May 2012, 22:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nothing, except Carerra already do one and model kits are easy to come by. I only want to do stuff that's impossible (or nearly impossible) to get anywhere else

But it's still a cracking film!

aaaaaahhh....i didnt realise it had already been done. its not going to "perform" in true bandit style though. maybe you could do sherrif beufort t justice's cruiser? naturally minus roof and with junior holding the sherrifs hat on!!

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
An update is coming through on the teletype machine... whirr, chatter, whirr

I got a resin shell of the earlier Firebird but it's quite a lot of work to change the front and rear ends. Instead I hit the 3D library and after some $$$ (Jim charged $200 a day plus expenses) I got this

The flares on the wheelarches will have to go as will the hood scoop, but it's a good start I think

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
The CAD drawing looks VERY like the AMT '71 Transam 1/32 model I have at home, with a slightly smoother nose - one of those might be a really good start. As you say it does have the hood scoop and the little flares.

I would also start now on sourcing the metallic brown paint!

Loving your work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts