SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Al Schwartz
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the early 90's, before the internet changed how slot car enthusiasts interacted, a (sorta)monthly publication called the Vintage Slot Racing Newsletter (VSRN) was published. A number of members here subscribed and contributed content. It's stories focused on what the title suggested: vintage slot cars from the 60's, mostly reflecting the U.S. market.

After 100 issues, the internet had become ubiquitous, and the paper version of VSRN went out of print.

One of the more interesting features of VSRN was the classifieds, where slot fans advertised slots and parts for sale, trade, and wanted to buy/trade.

Other connections were made. Bruce Strachan from York, PA advertised looking for slot racers within driving distance to get together to race (then) modern slot cars: Scalextric, Ninco, SCX, etc. He had a wonderfully landscaped 2 lane Scalextric layout.

The ad was answered, word of mouth kicked in, toy shows were used to spread the word, and the next thing you know events were being held on a regular basis on home based plastic (Revell, Monogram, Scalex, Ninco, Carrera, even Eldon) layouts in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Racers would come not only from those states, but NJ, Delaware, Tidewater Virginia, and even New York City. None other than legendary slot racer and chassis builder from slot racing's Golden Era, Bob Emott, drove down to Ellicott City, MD from NYC to race Scalextric Group C cars on an old Revell layout. I remember sheepishly handing him a Scalex Sauber to run, it being the rough equivalent of a rubber band airplane to his Space Shuttle slot car chassis, and his response that it's slot car racing, so it's all good.

It was not unusual to have 20+ racers at each event, sometimes many more. Cars were mostly stock, and there was often a vintage class in which Strombecker, Revell, Monogram, AMT, Cox and other brands were run.

Beginning in the late 90's, one by one the plastic layouts gave over to routed 3 and 4 lane tracks. It was Bruce who, noting that racers would often drive several hours from several states for a day's worth of racing, that the club might be called the Interstate Home Slot Racers. The name stuck, and Mike Talley, club member in Virginia, designed the logo.

Today, 20+ years later, the club thrives. A core group has remained, others have come and gone. We now have tracks hosting events in Chambersburg, Harrisburg, and York, Pa. Charles Town, West Virginia. Abingdon, Rockville, and Gaithersburg, MD. We also usually rent the fantastic Phase II club site in Pasadena, MD for a couple of events during our racing season.

Because of how we are spread out, weekly race nights are out of the question. Once our season starts, the races are usually day-long events every other week. Hosting members usually open their homes on race day around 8 am, racing starts around 10 am or so. Up to 4 classes are run, and everyone is usually headed home by 3 in the afternoon.

If you are in the Mid-Atlantic area and love racing 1/32 slots, AND doing so with a group of guys who take it just seriously enough, but not overly so, please get in touch at [email protected].

The 2016 to 2017 season schedule will post here soon!

·
Administrator
9,692 Posts
Sounds like a great group Al!

VSRN was really my entry into the whole vintage community, along with Circuits Routiers here in France and the NSCC bulletin in England. But VSRN was the thunderbolt: "you mean, I'm not the only guy still dreaming about these little cars?"

Don

·
ParrotGod
7,896 Posts
I didn't know you guys had an entry here as well.
I love reading the race summaries on the yuku site.
I think I have been through all the archive in that forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts