SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I'm a dad to twin 11 year olds who want to try slot car racing. I have about $150 to spend, and I want to be able to expand on what I buy if we all like it. What would you recommend?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Hi and welcome to the grad adventure.

A few questions that might help direct you along the right path. Where in the world are you? The mention of $ could have you in America, Canada, Australia or New Zealand at the very least. But if you put your actual location in your profile there may be someone near by that can help you in person. If nothing else, your location will assist a little with directing you to an appropriate retailer.

Another thing to consider would be the space that you have available to play with or rather in. This may assist in directing you toward a scale to suit your needs. HO offers a lot of track in a little space with super fast cars. HO scale is extremely popular in America. 1/32 is larger offering more detail in the cars but requiring more room for the track. This scale is probably the most popular in Europe and Britain. Then there is the rapidly growing 1/43 scale which is a little bit the best of both worlds. The driving experience and some of the detail of the 1/32 but less room required for the track. If space is not an issue there's always 1/24.

Next question will probably be analogue or digital, although this is probably a decision that doesn't have to be made right at the beginning of your adventure.

There are probably more questions that others will think of, but that will do for now.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome CJY3 Ember has asked all the pertinant questions but if i was starting today and i lived in the UK, Europe, e.t.c i would get a 1/32nd set like Scalex,Ninco or my prefered set Carrera as you can also run 1/24 cars on it as well and there is plenty of extra track to extend it if you want to, the cars are reasonable and all in all it makes a good home set, i am sorry i do not know what is available in the States but a lot of this stuff is world wide now so you should be able to get something suitable , Hope you enjoy the sport Keith.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
hy, look for the tracks on ebay. dead cheap for full setups. you cant even give scalextric classic track away and there,s absolutely nothing wrong with it. for £100 you could get a massive 1/32 scaley track, a couple of cars and still have change. john

·
6,455 Posts
If you have a hope of trying before you buy it's well worthwhile. Visit some folks who have home tracks. It will help you make a decision that is the right one for you.

I had old school HO as a kid. But as an adult HO didn't supply the driving experience I wanted. 1/32 does. It may not be the same for you. Any opportunity you can get to try all the systems is time well invested.

Embs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Sorry...

Yes, in the USA. Philadelphia, PA.

We have tons of space.... literally could have up to 400 SF if I wanted it. I would like to start at an affordable price point but have room to add on.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Hi , as room isn't a problem, as someone suggested Carrera Evolution would be your best bet as you can race 1/32nd or 1/24th on the same track. You should also be able to run all the ready to run makes on this track, As was said, that auction site is a good source of cars and track.

·
6,455 Posts
Carrera is not necessarily cheap or easy to get.

I can understand the reason for the recommendation though. Definitely try EBay and Craig's List etc for second hand track. As Carrera has stainless steel rails there should be less potential problems in buying second hand.

I was going to point you toward someone with a heap of Carrera track for sale in IL, but I think the track may have been destroyed in recent house fire.

Embs

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
Carrera is big in the US, so finding Carrera dealers should be easy. Carrera USA also have a rep that frequent these forums, so customer service is known to be good.

With lots of space available Carrera Evolution track (1/32 and 1/24 scale) is also IMO the right choice, but being new to the hobby I would actually advice to start with a starter set.

You can get new Carrera Evolution start sets for around 150$, and being new to the hobby it makes sense to buy a starter set as they have new shiny track pieces without wear and tear that might lead to connection problems, transformer, connection track piece, controllers, two cars, elevation pillars and track borders, etc... In short you get all you need to get up an running with minimal hassle including instructions and a warranty.

If the bug bites then you can expand the track later or even upgrade to digital (up to 6 cars racing at the same time on two lanes, change lanes for overtaking, pit-stop for refueling, etc....).

Some links of interest:
http://www.carrera-toys.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/carrerausa

hotslots132 in IL (nice showroom), and Cincyslots in OH (sell both new and used track/cars), are two knowledgeable Carrera dealers that springs to mind. You might save a few bucks by buying from the cheapest "box pushers" on ebay but I wouldn't expect much customer service from them.

Have fun

Tore

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you....

I went and looked at ebay, and honestly I was overwhelmed. I'm not well versed enough to know what is worth buying and which is not... or what pieces work with other pieces.... I think until I learn more, my best bet is buying a new set. That's a shame, because it does appear that there might be some good deals to be had..... if you know what to buy and not buy.

TYVM!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Its like any thing that your new at .Do tons of research first to see what appeals and what doesn,t. just get a general feel for the prices and what you get. If i was buying new track again i,d definately go for carrera track. its good and gives you lots of options on the scales you can run on it. john

·
Registered
625 Posts
My personal experience was to buy a 'second hand' Scalextric 'Start' set (£30.00 like new) for my two grandsons to see if they liked it..they did, but not as much as ME!!
I then wanted to add more track to make it even bigger firstly I had to purchase a conversion kit so I could add 'sport' track then I was adding to it practically every week buying off ebay
then I was adding buildings, grandstands, figures, bridges, barriers, more and more cars eventually spending a small fortune on the hobby.
My grandsons were far too young (3 & 5) and their interest waned to the point of not wanting to play with it any more. I have since dismantled it and put it all away in boxes to be brought back out in a few years time when they are older, and hopefully show an interest again.

At the moment I'm only interested in collecting old vintage Scalextric cars, fixing them up and hiding them away - Strange or not?

Billy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, my choice was made for me. I turned 50 on Tuesday, and my wife and kids bought me a small starter kit of HO racing. It is made by AFX, and is only 8' of track, plus 4 extra feet that they bought. Plus they are throwing me a party tomorrow, and my wife said "Don't go buying more track, yet. You don't know what people will give you."

OK, so it might not be what I would have picked, but it should be good enough to decide whether we, as a family, will enjoy it.

·
6,455 Posts
Good luck.

HO is a completely different game to the 1/32. You'll either love it or hate it. But there's only one way to find out.

Enjoy the new adventure.
Embs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts