Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... I had. I know that most of you already read about this in another forum, but I was asked to state my impressions here again, so:

you can drive exactly 24h and the team with the most laps wins, no discussions on not enough power on one lane..... If the system works properly (it did not at the race in Eupen, Belgium) it is a lot of fun. Or when was the last time that you raced together with 15 teams on a 6-lane track???!!!!!

The overtaking does not make a big difference to the "normal" slottrack. Catch up with the car infront, look for the next possibility to overtake (lanechange), change lane, overtake, change lane back and off you go.
At the beginning you simply have a problem to figure out where to overtaken when and how (am I in the same lane as the car in front of my...??), but after one to two hours you get familliar with the system. And than the big fights with the other cars start, because they learn also!!!!!
Of course you can "knock on the other cars door" or set the braking point a little earlier than usual when you are in front (oops, sorry...). This can be helpfull as the rule was set up before the race that the faster cars that close up on a slower car havt to change lane, so the slower car can stay in the lane. In case a faster car bumped into a slower car stop and go penaltys were given.

Yes, there is a tendency to stay in the better lanes (middle) like in F1 and the outer lanes have the tendency to loose grip compared to the more used middle lanes.

But the outer lanes were also used quite regularly as any deslotted car was placed in the outer or inner lane (whatever was next to the marshall) and you had to change your way back to the inner lanes.

To change lanes you were supplied with an additional device were you just had to press a button (and keep it pressed) before the next lanechange section and than you changed lane (or not as happend in this event quite often). It also happened that you changed lane without purpose as th e guy infront of you changed lane and the device did not close fast enough, so you were on the other lane as well. As I said it was a prototype, but it was the biggest fun I ever had on a slottrack.
You could use your normal Parma controllers, just the box were you connected your controller to was a little different, but no problem at all.

The lanechanges can be driven at full speed, so no reducing of speed as you are approaching an "S". The lane changes were quite long, so no problem with the 1/32 Fly cars.

Compared to a "normal" 24h race this kind of event was a big change as tactics had a bigger role than usual (swapping driver now or later, coming to the pits now or later,...).

Just to repeat it again to race with 14 other cars on a 6-lane track is really big fun!!!!
Of course there is traffic on your lane quite often, but that is equal for all drivers and teams. Selfcontroll is a big point here.

Every one of our drivers (incl. me) was supprised and sad how quick his "turns" went by. We usually drove for one houre and than we changed driver.

Into the car you have to place a little electronic chip. It is about 25x10mm, I did not check the weight, but must be between 3 and 5 gramms.
The device is placed between the guide and the motor. The power for the light should be taken out befor the electronic device. Oh and the height of the chip is so small that it fits underneath a Fly frontmotor shaft.

Oh by the way, the track was 70 meters long and represented Spa in 1:100. What a racetrack!!!!

And of course there was a qualifying and the race started with a pace car (Ninco DTM pace car, driven by batteries).

Now here are a few impressions:

And for those that cann´t believe it, yes we became third with a Fly BMW M3 GTR. And our chief mechanic put a lot of work in that car to make it compatibale against those Listers and Marcos!!!!

See ya,
Nico

http://www.grenzlandslot.com

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
In my dreams I have a set up with Eau Rouge in it. Sweet.

I take your point about prototypes but unintentional lane changing because you are following so close behind another car is a big no, no.

Digital, smidigital.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
On a quick lunch break, let me swiftly say a big thank you for that report Nico - VERY much appreciated!
The marshall in the red top, rolling around in the middle of the circuit, must have had very sore elbows and knees by the time the race was over!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The setup of Eau Rouge was fantastic!!!!! Like on the real track, if you did not get it right you lost a lot of your speed on the following straight!!!!!!!

It was (and is) one of my favorit trackparts that I have driven on!!!!!!

The Busstop is also a very tricky part!!!!

Nico

http://www.grenzlandslot.com

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Well now I'm totally confused!...

Is this the new SCX/Scalex system or something else again?...This system looks pretty good and great for big events as Nico so expertly reported. I can see the advantage in so many cars competing over a 24Hr or 12 Hr period.

Is there a module or chip available that will fit all makes of car?

But for Home use?........No thank you I just can't see the benefits outweigh the additional work needed on the cars.

Great report Nico and I would love to drive in something like that. But as I don't have a slot car of a later model year than 1965 it would have to be an event for Classics !

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi BEEJAY7,
I did not mean to confuse you!!

>Well now I'm totally confused!...
>Is this the new SCX/Scalex system or something else again?...This system looks >pretty good and great for big events as Nico so expertly reported. I can see the >advantage in so many cars competing over a 24Hr or 12 Hr period.

The system we raced here is called DAVIC and has nothing to do with SCX or Carrera or any of the big ones. Those guys that built this system tested it more or less at this 24h race.
They adopt the lane changes individualy to the track-system that you have, for example the event in Eupen, Belgium, was on a 70 Meter Polistil track (that is the length per lane). But they also offer the system for Carrera or routed tracks or you name it, they build it.
Deliverytime at the moment is around 12-24 months. They want to do it properly and the event in Belgium showed that there is still some work to be done.

>Is there a module or chip available that will fit all makes of car?

Basically yes, the chip for the car can be fitted into any car, whether it is 1:32 or 1:24. I am not sure about smaller scales, but might be possible.

And hey, you want to drive that event next year??? No problem, form a team, build a car, get registered and you can race that race with 14 other teams on the same track!!!!! It will be repeated next year with the improved DAVIC system!!!!!

More questions??? NO problem, keep asking, I am around!!!

Nico

P.S.: Next 24h race we will attend has this layout:
http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/brusselsscale.../le_circuit.htm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those pictures look great!! Sounds very interesting!! I feel this is a whole new form of slotcar racing!! Bringing more of the real feeling of racing!! I think this will be the new form or type of racing when you show up to one of these great events!!Please keep me informed, about this system and how the race scene over there is taking it!! As for in the states I donot think it will take off for a couple of years yet or untill 1/32 scale gets its own racing series!!

Lee

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Thanks for the extra images. Looks a blast and a half.... No, it looks like two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts