SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four of these little gems two of which i have now got running.They go very well but as i am sure you all know handle like a tea trolley.I have placed bluetack in the rear engine compartment behind the driver and further amounts on the chassis front and sides.This has made them heavier and they are now quite good fun.I can even get them on three wheels.
I have also glued a magnet strip to the bottom.Are there any other mods you experts can pass on to improve them further?
Thanks fior looking.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
I don't have Metros but they are on my "grab them if they are cheap on fleabay" list.

I can share my experience with the older C7 mini cooper.

I acquired a pair of C7 mini coopers as part of a job lot - I sold off all the stuff except the cute C7's and a couple of Porsche 935's.

The minis had been loaded to the gunnels with plasticene by the previous owner and it was rock hard so must have been there for years. The hard tyres still wouldn't grip that well on sport track so I added some metal weight instead (2 pence coins and blu-tack instead of ancient plasticene) and the traction improved but corners were a real problem with the momentum of all that copper.

So I did plan B - I took all the weight out. Found some perfect small superslix and made moulds. Made myself some copies in shore 20 urethane and put these on the rear and standard rubber on the front. These little beauties fly round the track now with loads of controllable powerslides. The urethane grips well but when provoked lets go gradually so you can balance the slide on the throttle. No magnets needed. The tyres do need truing though because those little wheels spin pretty fast and out-of-round rubber makes them skip like spring lambs on speed.

Incidentally I did the same for the Porsche with its large superslix rears and put narrower tyres on the fronts (they had large superslix fronts as well!!!) and get the same sort of performance.

I would guess putting really grippy tyres on your metros will give similar results and make them fun to drive. They will NEVER match a half decent modern slot car for lap times but if you have a matched pair; that doesn't really matter. I didn't add magnets but that's not to say you shouldn't choose to keep yours - it will make for an easier but less entertaining drive. Take the weights out, with trued tyres you won't need them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (DJ @ 8 Mar 2012, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are three simple steps to improving the Scalextric Metro:-

1) Open bin
2) Place Metro in bin
3) Close bin

Dont understand the comment.I asked for genuine advice from genuine people.Perhaps you should have said "open recycle bin" place in and close.

·
Registered
173 Posts
QUOTE (DJ @ 8 Mar 2012, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are three simple steps to improving the Scalextric Metro:-

1) Open bin
2) Place Metro in bin
3) Close bin

QUOTE (markis42 @ 8 Mar 2012, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont understand the comment.I asked for genuine advice from genuine people.Perhaps you should have said "open recycle bin" place in and close.

Oops. Guess the Metro is not everyones fave... I've noticed some comments from time to time on SF that were a little unnecessary Markis but I think that the smiley means DJs comment is tongue in cheek. I've seen plenty of useful posts from him. And to be fair, you have had some good advice from Mr Modifier.

I try to keep my comments positive as my mum always said that if I can't say something nice, don't say anything.

I agree with Mr Modifier though. Not a big favourite but if they are cheap... I have a couple that I've repainted. And to be fair they've out lasted the real ones!

Perspective...

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (markis42 @ 8 Mar 2012, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dont understand the comment.I asked for genuine advice from genuine people.Perhaps you should have said "open recycle bin" place in and close.
Sorry, I assumed that as you'd described Scalextric Metros as "little gems" that you had a sense of humour, it appears my assumption was wrong. Sorry for any offence caused to your little cars or you. In future I will endeavour to keep my comments less "tongue in cheek" and more "positive and informative".

Best regards.

DJ

·
Registered
173 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 9 Mar 2012, 09:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1:1 Metros were fun, when I worked for BT we had Metro vans, great fun for racing between telephone exchanges.

Ah, BT Metro vans. As a former BT fibre contractor I was given a V8 engined LDV pilot for "evaluation". Proper engine, rubbish van.
QUOTE (DJ @ 9 Mar 2012, 09:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In future I will endeavour to keep my comments less "tongue in cheek" and more "positive and informative".

Best regards.

DJ

Very contrite DJ. Using a 'Allo 'Allo German accent repeat the mantra " Ferry amusink. Ve haf vays ov making you laff!"

Same for the 1:1 6R4... in French, "Ooh, Ze nobs and ze lights..zay are all flashing..."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (DJ @ 9 Mar 2012, 08:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, I assumed that as you'd described Scalextric Metros as "little gems" that you had a sense of humour, it appears my assumption was wrong. Sorry for any offence caused to your little cars or you. In future I will endeavour to keep my comments less "tongue in cheek" and more "positive and informative".

Best regards.

DJ
I thought my reply proved that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.