SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I apologise for the awful pictures but my camera can't take close ups. Remove the guide from the car and take out the lead wires and braids. Cut some thin brasss sheet that you can bend with your fingers, cut 2 pieces 25mm long x 4mm wide. Bend each at 45deg in the middle. push through the braid slots so that the bend is in the centre of the slot. Bend each end up so they are vertical then bend each end over so that is flush with the top of the guide and trim of the excess brass. Take the braids and bend them at the hole in the brass, only a small bend is required. Push the braid into the front of the guide and it will stay there, you may need a pair of pliers to remove it when worn out. With the lead wires through the correct holes in the chassis solder them to the rear section of the brass plate. No fiddly lead wires to cope with and you can change braids without removing the guide or taking the body off. Bliss

·
Circuit Owner
5,892 Posts
Hi Bigtone,

I too would like to see a better photo coz I'm interested in what you have done.

Here's a tip - take the photo from further away - your camera will be able to focus. Then crop the photo (if you have the know how) or just post it and we will be able to zoom in.

I know further away means fewer pixels BUT if they are in focus it will be better than more but fuzzy pixels.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
If I have this correctly it is a small adaption to this method used on the Parma and more recently Pioneer guides.

where the wire is soldered to a shunt plate.

With the Slot.it LMP guide it would have to be soldered at the rear with the thin plate folded over the hole at the rear - where X is on the paper template

The front is kept in position by folding a front lip. (white paper showing up well!!)

By making a kink the section in the guide this creates the pressure to keep the braid in place - shown by the 1.

So the brass section would end up something like this.

Cherry Red Charger making a nice back drop

Is this what you meant Tony

Personally I haven't tried it but I am not sure that I would not expect the thin brass to lift at the solder joint and it could then get caught between the chassis and the guide but I suppose a drop of glue could cure that.

Then again my car still has the very first January guide in it without an issue.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Just thinking that instead of glueing the brass a 0.9mm (1/32) hole could made in it and then use the grub screw to locate it into the guide.

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr Croker, Yes you have the right idea.I have taken a couple more pics and theses are the best it's gonna be until I invest in a new camera. I do think is an improvement on the standard guide. Being able to change pickups in seconds is great.

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
Superb job - I will try to replicate, test, and take pictures, so we can add this idea to our instructions.
Thanks
Maurizio

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compiment Maurizio, anything to make life easier. By the way the Lola is a great car, I carried out the mods you suggested and added some weight and it really handles well. Just waiting for the new motors for more power. I have finished the bodyshell in Chrome paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts