SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can help me find a thread on this topic.

I saw a thread (which I now cannot find after looking under both Scenery and Digital for postings going back some 8+ months) where someone showed how to wire a switch box between a Scaley Digital PB and an Analogue Sport PB so that they could switch between the digital and analogue PB without damaging either PB.

My reason is that I scored a nearly free Sport Analogue PB and would like to see how difficult it is to wire a toggle box between it and my older PB-Pro C7030 PB. I was planning on separating the C7030 from the track so there may be an easier way to wire this but would like to see this previously posted thread on the wiring required.

I have been searching on and off over the past week and using the "custom search" at the top of the page has not yielded what I was looking for.

Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,138 Posts
Sounds like a plan, Gordon! Poor man's two lane digital. And the kicker is that you could leave the digital base on in "analog mode" though it won't be controlling the cars. It will still be able to count laps and will register each lane as cars 1 and 2. Just make sure the power to the digital base is not connected to that switch, but the switch controls the power from it's source to the rails. A couple heavy duty switched between the two bases rail outputs, and the rails themselves.

Also, we know from analog mode usages on the PB-Pro and APB that the lane changers don't care about analog power (so long as it's within their tolerances), so you don't even have to power them separately.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ Mr DJT - thanks for the link. I have read it a couple of times before but that is not the one I was thinking of. The one I remember had a flat table with this marvelous power supply board on the front with the wiring and switches (it allowed one to plug in the appropriate PSU and switch to the PB to be used). Wish I could remember who did it. I may have to troll my "watch" list as well.

@Mr.Flippant - thanks Greg. I am not sure I followed the "leave the digital base on in "analog mode" though it won't be controlling the cars. It will still be able to count laps and will register each lane as cars 1 and 2." comment.

I was thinking that if the power on the PB-Pro track was properly separated, it could be attached to either the PB-Pro or Sport Analogue PB and corresponding PSU (which is what I think this other thread that I cannot remember was doing). Or just have a big DPDT switch to determine which set of wires is connected to which PB track (effectively cutting out the link to the PB not in use).

But I would like to follow your reasoning for using the PB-Pro track to count laps (you mean connect the data cables but not the power?)

Will continue searching tomorrow (err.... later today by the clock).

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,138 Posts
Yes, leave the data wires connected. Put the PB-Pro base in analog mode so that it will consistently count laps for the lanes correctly, but the actual power to the rails would be switched away from the digital base and to the analog one.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@chris99 - Nope, that wasn't it. Darn my memory... cannot remember where I last saw it but may just go through the entire layouts list to see if I can find it. It is not listed in the digital links section.

@Mr.Flippant - gotcha. So I make the PB-Pro/C7030 a separated pluggable unit as planned and do the same with the analogue, then just choose one set of plugs for digital or analogue power (that is where a switch might be nice but if I am separating the PB, then just make it "plug and play"..... to borrow a phrase). So in Analogue mode, the PB-Pro/C7030 will count laps for BOTH lanes via the SSDC software?

Thanks for the help.
Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,138 Posts
As far as I understand how the stuff works, yes, that will work. And of course you're right, you wouldn't even need to install a switch, just use quick plugs of some kind so switch from PB-Pro powered rails to Sport analogue powered rails. In both cases, the PB-Pro sensors will count laps and work with SSDC.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course the wires to the rails would have to be separated so that there is no "bridging" when in analogue, right?

Many thanks for confirming my idea.... still would like to see that one I mentioned!

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,138 Posts
Yes. You could use banana plug connectors with holes in the males to combine the two lanes when powering it digitally. Whatever you do, mark all the wires clearly and indelibly.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That narrows it down a bit. I wonder if I can search the members from Australia under the "members" area?

Hmmmm

Have looked at ALL of the plastic member tracks listed under Scenery with no luck. At least I have Mr. F's confirmation that by using banana plugs, the two PBs could be swapped from digital to analogue.

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,138 Posts
I would still wait for Riko or Rich to confirm that I'm not missing something important. If you do power taps, just make sure they're all based on the track that gets the power, not either of the bases directly.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think if the power to the lanes is kept separate as for analogue then all should be fine.... as long as only ONE PB is connected at a time. The Digital will not care if the power goes to each lane separately or if it is jumpered from lane 1 to lane 2.

But as you say.... maybe one of the technical experts will confirm for us.

Oh, and by the way.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, I found a "project" in Dave Chang's Digital Slot Car Racing book (pp. 72-73) outlining how to do this... just as you said. He also says that "digital lap counting and other digital accessories will not operate in analogue mode". Then he includes a dual control use setup (developed by Stephan Hess) using external decoder chips to the lanes (sounds like Gorp's work) to use the digital PB for both digital and analogue use.

I am still looking for the posting on this forum where the member shows the up close wiring pics.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found it!

Here is one of the links I was looking for...

DaveKP digital and analogue solution

He has all the wiring diagrams there too.
I thought there was another closeup of the finished product... will have to look for that next!

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUOTE (sealevel @ 7 Jan 2012, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found it!

Here is one of the links I was looking for...

DaveKP digital and analogue solution

He has all the wiring diagrams there too.
I thought there was another closeup of the finished product... will have to look for that next!

Cheers!

LoL
That's the 1 chris99 gave you a link to a week ago.

QUOTE (chris99 @ 30 Dec 2011, 08:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

I can picture the one you mean but can't find it. I'm assuming it's not this one? link

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Well, you are correct...

It is ONE of the links I was looking for.... it had the diagrams.

There is still another one out there that shows a clear pic of a dual PB arrangement with a relay box in the middle mounted to the side of a table. Still looking for that.

At the time Chris99 gave me that I was still focused on finding the "other missing one".... now in retrospect, you are right, it does have a working version.... (Thanks Chris99... sorry for not giving you more credit earlier).

I also found a complete project in Dave Chang's book which is similar and easy for other members to follow.

Thanks for pointing this out to me... now to find the "other missing one".... (sounds like the Hobbit, eh?)

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A followup on what I read in Dave Chang's book...

He shows using a 4 pole double throw switch to connect both the digital and analogue PBs to the track.
However, I don't recall seeing a current rating for it.

How many amps should a switch like this handle?

Most of the ones from Peco and the like were 5 amps or less. To get an industrial strength switch was about 4-5 time the price (on "that auction site").

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts