SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have a very strange problem ...

when scanning some cars (non DPR with F1 chip), one of them, assembled with a Scalextric "Yellow" Engine (20k RPM),
after a few laps, suddenly stopped, not responding to hand control commands, and with the lights off (headlights),
or at other moment, simply accelerated uncontrollably from scratch... very crazy !!!

I decided to isolate the problem (Chip or Engine)... Disconnected the engine wires, put the car on the track,
and throttle the trigger of handcontrol for long time, trying to reproduce the problem ...
Even after several minutes, the lights lit, indicate that the chip still work normally.

I switched the Yellow Engine (20k) by a stock ones (original engine), and after several laps, all is okay...
Did not show any of previous symptoms... So... I concluded that the problem could be generated by
some Interference generated by the motor (Yellow/20k), or some incompatibility between this
engine (more RPM... maybe more power ?) and the F1 Chip.

Note: There is no components (capacitor, etc.) between the motor poles...
chip wires were connected directly to the motor terminals.

Someone already saw this issue ? Any solution ?

Waiting comments...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Your conclusion is correct. The F1 chip is particularily susceptable to interference from the motor. Fit the supressor, capacitor & ferrite bead, to the motor and it should be fine. Supressor is recommended for all chips & motors.

Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich,

I will perform the test with the suppressor and post the results.

The funny thing is... that I am also a Ninco user, and between us, is recommended the removal
of the suppressors, connecting the chip wires directly to the engine... I always thought strange,
but justified if the Chip own the necessary components to filter interferences from the engine...
As I never had this problem with Ninco chips, i always remove the suppressor...
For Scalextric Chip, well... bad idea... ;-)

Thanks Again... I will back soon with the results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (RichG @ 14 Feb 2012, 20:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your conclusion is correct. The F1 chip is particularily susceptable to interference from the motor. Fit the supressor, capacitor & ferrite bead, to the motor and it should be fine. Supressor is recommended for all chips & motors.

Rich

Nice tip Rich... You nailed it ! All works okay now !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everybody,
I spent the day reading the forum, particularly the digital part as I got the old 4pb , the digital lap counter and 1 XLC. But I noticed that nobody twists the pickup wires going to the chip and the motor wires. Twisting wires is a common way of rejecting inteferences while keeping the correct signals. If using ferrites the wires should they go through it a couple times??D id anybody try this?
I am new in slotracing, just finished building my first track, still need to add extra XLC. But already removed the magnets, fiddled with lead weights etc..... It is addictive. I got two DPR cars, until now I only noticed a few hickups after a r1 turn, right after the XLC.

regards

Ivan

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi Ivan,
Check the printing on your DPR chips, it should read Rev G and there is also a small square yellow capacitor fitted to the board. The Rev F version does not have either of these two features. Avoid using the Rev F chips as they are exceptionally prone to electrical interference of the kind you see when your car passes over a cross-over section as on a XLC or CLC.

The best soultion is to find the post from Rikorocket where he shows how to prevent the braids from short-circuiting on these track pieces. Scalextric have modified the XLC to take this into account. I'll try and find the post for you.

All the best - Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts